1938 Buick Special Convertible - $80,000 or Close

I'll let the Buick group comment on the price and details, but it sure looks nice! (more pics in ad) 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/union-city-1938-buick-special/7680017438.html

1938 Buick Special dual side mounts
Straight 8 3spd shifts smooth Frame off restoration New tires Everything was gone through
Have all documentation of build Chrome is nice Runs and drives smooth!!
Asking $80000 or close to that!! No trades

email: 173c929c915533ddbf6398b8a20063db@sale.craigslist.org

1938 Buick Special 100R0R_6im9EnOhe7D_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00s0s_gpc7g5M4alp_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00h0h_je6AETZKeZX_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01212_2kVhlsaocSA_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00z0z_8XmTDamTYty_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00M0M_4xVKlKB07YT_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

I personally prefer 4 doors but that one does appear to be in very nice condition. For some reason, that body style is highly sought by some people. I think his asking price is a little bit high, but I expect that he will get closer to his asking price for that particular body style in California than you think. 

Sharp car, but I'm thinking asking price is at least $30K, maybe $40K, too high.

The skirts weren't available until the '40's, and if the body color is supposed to be Corot Beige, the wheels should be Bugatti Red, a much darker color.

I don't think that original six-wheel cars have a shelf in the trunk, but as a practical matter, there definitely should be a spare in there.

Though I love Buicks of this era this one at 80G's doesn't exactly float my boat.  First it is a Special and 248 ci straight 8 and not the bigger 320 motor.  I too prefer the 4 door convertibles.  I know of a 38 Roadmaster convertible owned locally in very similar condition and it probably approaches 80G's but realistically 70 to 75G's is probably where it would be valued.  Remember a Roadmaster is a lot more car than a special!  I have seen some stunning brown and tan color combinations but this one doesn't do much for me but that's a personal thing.  The 38 Buicks are a personal favorite of mine and the actual quality of the restoration on this one 'looks' good but I think the seller is trying to recoup some of the restoration costs in the price!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

2 hours ago, suchan said:

the wheels should be Bugatti Red, a much darker color.

Attached is a photo of my previously owned 1938 Century Sport Coupe. It is painted Corot Beige with Bugatti red wheels. Some folks back in the day questioned the beige color but the paint I used was Ditzler nitrocellulose lacquer purchased from a guy in Barstow CA who had a bunch of Ditzler. Regarding the wheel color I did research and determined that DuPont in the 1990s still had the formula for it. It was, of course, Dulux enamel. I still have an unopened gallon of it if anyone wants it. Some folks think it can’t be any good after all these years, but who knows. 

44E57CD1-1856-4A5F-9328-F6B48B5F2D72.png

• Like 4

Nice Century! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like Corot Beige to me. My former 38-41 is supposed to be in original paint (with lots of touching up). I had the wheels powder coated to match the original as best I could. Bugatti Red is more of a brick red than fire engine red.

Beige Buick in Sheep Ranch.jpg

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but I believe that if this were a Century, or a Roadmaster the price would more than likely be higher. That said, you can paint this any color you want, put skirts on it and drop the top. And after you have done all that, it's still a four passenger Special. The entry level car that was made in 1938 with a soft top.