1934 Willys 77 coupe, not mine

The little Willys models of the 1930s are a special thing in the collector car world. A solid mid level producer of the 1920s, they like too many others were destroyed by the depression. Willys however, bucked the system and went for much smaller and less costly automobiles, cutting a decent slice out of the remaining market for much of the decade. They sold fairly well, considering the times, and a lot of the cars were driven for many years. They were good cars during the war years, since they got better gasoline mileage than most.

After the war, unfortunately, they became popular with the hot rod and racing crowd. Their smaller size worked nicely for several types of customs, and many of the cars were thoroughly worn out anyway. By the 1960s, not very many of the little cars remained anywhere near their original form.

Really nice restorations of them are few, and far between. It may be a stretch to say this one is one of the "nicest in the world"? On the other hand, from the looks of the photos it would be difficult to find one any better.

I generally do not like to speculate much on the values of other people's cars. Even though a lot of cars are easy to follow various trends. This one, on the other hand, would not be an easy one. Desirability is mixed. It doesn't appeal to the "big car crowd", or the CCCA bunch. Too new for brass era or nickel age. Not great for highway driving, it isn't much faster than a well done model T Ford. However, it is rare, and although rarity does not equal big dollars, it also has an interesting mystique as the little car that so many super customs were made from during the 1950s through the '70s.

I would be curious to hear what it does sell for.

• Like 5