My engine is overheating

cquisuila

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

If there is an air lock in the system.park with the front of the car elevated, loosen the radiator cap and let it sit overnight. If you drilled the small hole in the flange of the thermostat as Jim suggested, Mother Nature will burn the air bubble out of the system.  Once the car has been parked for the night and cooled, check the water level. Check it again in the morning and compare.   If you can’t park uphill, a couple of jack stands under the front will work.

- OK thanks

I will drill a little hole in the flange of thermostat

I park with the front car elevated, radiator cap loosen (i already made this job but not car elevated...)

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

If you are concerned about the radiator, disconnect the lower hose and plug the outlet.  Fill the radiator with water, then quickly remove the plug from the lower hose (or radiator nipple) and measure the time it takes for the radiator to empty.  Do this a few times and average the results.  If the core is open and not blocked it should only take 10 ~ 15 seconds to empty and you should see a strong stream of water exiting the radiator.  Long time and/or weak flow from the lower hose suggests there is a blockage.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EmTee said:

If you are concerned about the radiator, disconnect the lower hose and plug the outlet.  Fill the radiator with water, then quickly remove the plug from the lower hose (or radiator nipple) and measure the time it takes for the radiator to empty.  Do this a few times and average the results.  If the core is open and not blocked it should only take 10 ~ 15 seconds to empty and you should see a strong stream of water exiting the radiator.  Long time and/or weak flow from the lower hose suggests there is a blockage.

ok*

I will redo this work but counting the time from now on and therefore controlling the flow🙂

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Pay attention to the size of the stream of water exiting the radiator.  It should start out at the size of the opening and then decrease as the radiator empties.

Here's a video of the test on the radiator from my 1938 Buick ("Before & After"):

https://www.caparadiator.com/video

image.png.687c2171f1eda840b1c598aa5ec3386e.png

It is very good  ! thank you for this astuce !!! i will make this test to verify good or bad efficient radiator !

before without explosion and after with the explosion !!!

On 9/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Not sure on these engines but my overheating on a Skylark was caused by an air lock after I drained and refilled the system. 

Perhaps there is an air lock and not enough fluid in the system. Ended up using a funnel to help burp the system.

Just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_2207.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

that's too much !!!🤣

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

These infrared thermometers are really handy.

OMG, they are so inexpensive, I keep the one with a broken target beam in my Riv's glovebox. Not so much for overheating but for ongoing rough idle troubleshooting.

A youtube channel has the dyno test cell operator squirting water on each primary header tube. Huh? A better tool here in 2023 would be sequential testing with an infrared thermometer.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cquisuila said:

prooth of air in the circuit ???🤒

Yes.  Have you pressure-tested the cooling system?  That should identify leaks where air can enter.  Or, add some florescent dye to the coolant and use a blacklight to identify any leaks.

I would pay particular attention to the heater control valve.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

Yes.  Have you pressure-tested the cooling system?  That should identify leaks where air can enter.  Or, add some florescent dye to the coolant and use a blacklight to identify any leaks.

image.png.ac7b494207b4aec87ee807b8bdae0522.png

Not test for pressure 

If it is this water valve on the picture it isn't on my car...

i just added a plastic valve but I had the impression that it was causing a problem in the cooling circuit so I removed it

Information  i have changed the evaporator on a/c 

8 hours ago, EmTee said:

NO coolant leaks on motor

16 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Are you sure the heater core is not leaking?  Is the carpet in the passenger side foot well dry?

i haven't carpet for this moment

the ground is again bare metal ! and i don't observe leaking

i will verify again

the level in coolant radiator is normal

>>>> 🙄And  pass water in pression  in the hoses to heat core (entry hose and return hose) is a good job ??

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, cquisuila said:

for information the job is not yet done

it is winter in France😀

Should not be a problem for you.  I just checked the temperatures in you community.  55 degrees F there. Below 0 degrees F here.  55 F = 13 C.  😎.  0 F = -17 C. 🥶 Get to work, it’s a lovely day in Mount-de-Marsan .  😁

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Should not be a problem for you.  I just checked the temperatures in you community.  55 degrees F there. Below 0 degrees F here.  55 F = 13 C.  😎.  0 F = -17 C. 🥶 Get to work, it’s a lovely day in Mount-de-Marsan .  😁

the france is great...😜 and has various temp

image.png.2495e6e01161141256cf62a596bdcd6d.png

2 hours ago, cquisuila said:

the france is great...😜 and has various temp

image.png.2495e6e01161141256cf62a596bdcd6d.png

Last August my wife and I were in the Normandy area for a few days then traveled through  Paris on our way to Frankfurt and Bavaria for a number of days. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Last August my wife and I were in the Normandy area for a few days then traveled through  Paris on our way to Frankfurt and Bavaria for a number of days. 

i live in west south at MONT DE MARSAN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cquisuila said:

what's the matter of my original radiator  please ?

I'm guessing the core is plugged.  Have you tried performing a flow test?  Cap the lower hose nipple, fill the radiator with water, then quickly remove the plug from the lower hose opening and measure the time needed to empty the radiator.  Also note the diameter and distance of the stream of water exiting the radiator.  Fatter and longer is better.  ;)

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'm guessing the core is plugged.  Have you tried performing a flow test?  Cap the lower hose nipple, fill the radiator with water, then quickly remove the plug from the lower hose opening and measure the time needed to empty the radiator.  Also note the diameter and distance of the stream of water exiting the radiator.  Fatter and longer is better.  ;)

In the beginning you should see a “fatter and longer” flow. But as the radiator empties the flow will be less fat and less long.  The weight of the water in the radiator exerts pressure on everything below it.. As the weight diminishes, so does the pressure.  

When the cooling system is operating, water is flowing into the top tank and exiting through the bottom.  Anything that might be clogging the tank settles on the tops of the tubes.  Turn the radiator upside down and run water from the bottom down and out the top.  Some of the clog will be forced out.  I had poor heat in a car one time and the mechanic diagnosed it as a clogged heater core.  He reversed the hoses going into the tank so the flow was in the other direction.  Cleaned out the heater core without having to remove it. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

thank you !

yes > I hear a sound of air when I open the heating control

and i will reverse the hoses going to heat core

You might not be able to do that on your Riviera.  One side of the heater core takes a 5/8” hose, the other side takes a 3/4” hose.  My car was a 1997 Chrysler JXi with a V6.  Probably all metric and the same size hoses.