1987 Pontiac Fiero, Montana, not mine

https://helena.craigslist.org/cto/d/helena-fiero-gt-87-6-speed/7666457772.html

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT! If your looking for a car that is different from the rest of the herd, this is it. The first domestic mid-engine sports car, the Fiero is packed with innovative features. SMC body panels, fully independent suspension and great looks.

With a 2.8L. v-6 with a five speed this is truly a sports car.

This car is what I would call a 20/20 car. Looks good at twenty miles per hour or from 20 feet away!
It is a good driver the way it is but there is no doubt that it is 37 years old.

When I bought the car it was damaged on the left side. Front fender, door, etc. Enough to total the car. I found body panels already painted black and bolted them onto the car. Car needs paint and minor body work.

Seems like a solid base for a great project/restoration.
$2,900.00 Cash. TITLE BRANDED AS TOTALED.

Fiero GT!  '87, V-6, 5 speed. 1

00u0u_8cyVbKkxJAh_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

00l0l_8W2CyShOvyu_0gl0t2_600x450.jpg

Like many GM vehicles, time they figured out what to do with Fiero, how to correctly market and sell it, and had it sorted out, THEY KILLED IT.

Course it was the 80s, and GM management had its head so far up its own arse it knew what the next day's breakfast was going to be.

Well-maintained GT versions are a bargain especially against comparable Toyota MR2 and Fiat x1/9. A lot of all three got beat on like a borrowed mule.

That "totaled" notation on its title can be cause for unease. Could be simple busted-up plastic body parts that cost more to replace than the car's value, or could also be major damage under the skin.

• Like 2

I bought a fiero new in 86. It was a great car for what it was. I love the GT's and would really like to have a pace car. They are still available for a decent price in very good condition. I would not take a chance with this one even at that price. Might be a good car for a kid in school, not sure you could even make a drift car with it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have bought one salvage title car, a '70 Mustang coupe. The seller was upfront about it. It was not wrecked completely. As cars get older they can be "totalled out" for fairly minor damage, especially if any of the airbags go off. These types of cars are okay to fix up as a driver, but you don't want to put a lot of money into them. They will always be harder to sell and worth less than a clean title car. 

• Like 1

The V-6 cars are very hard to work on.   I had a 88 V-6  Formula for 25 years and sold it when all the plastic trim inside went bad,  Not a car to put your "Walker" in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not saying that you can judge these much by my limited exposure to them, but I've seen two of them completely broken in two, split across the floor right behind the front seat. I've always assumed that GM pulled them from the market out of discretion.

• Like 1