For Sale: 1964 Pontiac Catalina 2dr Sport Coupe - Multiple year HPOF Certificates - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 9/23 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1964 Pontiac Catalina 2-door Sport Coupe in Lansdale, PA  -  $12,900  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/194648533082483/-1964-Pontiac-Catalina-Sport-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1964 Pontiac Catalina 2-door Sport Coupe

• Driven 107,500 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Turquoise · Interior color: Turquoise

Two-door 1964 Pontiac Catalina: Almost all original, Antique Automotive Club of America Certificates 2018, 2019, 2020. Interior is awesome. Original title and registration, build sheet, advertisement books. Power steering. One owner for approximately 50 years. [hidden information]

image.png.a249072b080e3ec3940f895b9c65176a.png

image.png.d65259c3b1db7076635ae0b67a9beb13.png

image.png.bcfb8113466682d9333618a7a339cdbe.png

image.png.b1d5d6eb30209d6e2923ca8c13acccf7.png

image.png.16ecbbe8b355508bcd64bdf100467fff.png

image.png.31ddb93099a531b4f351218ca2481a8f.png

image.png.29a26a6a4c94d0a73764a770107d6496.png

image.png.3dedf91ada11f6815c4ef58efa0762fc.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Looks very nice indeed.  The price IMO is very fair, in fact a flipper could get it turn around and price it at 19 grand. Jake is right those exhaust are pretty goofy and I will add to his description; pretty goofy, dumb looking and do not belong on a car that is as original as this one!

• Like 2

Not crazy about the exhaust, but from my point of view while driving this car, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I would be too busy admiring the beautiful interior and grinning while driving down the road in a car that I only paid 12K for. Beautiful car for sure. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

much better than the '64 Starfire convertible and Jetstar 1 ads

Agreed.  I am a big GM fan from 1961 to 1966, but more so 1964.  I owned and daily drove a 63 Pontiac Grand Prix.  Not a fan of the Slim Jim but other than that I liked it.  

I used to purchase Collectible Automobile years ago and about every 2 years they would cover a GM make from 1961 to 1964. I bought every one.  

I decided if I was going to get an Oldsmobile, a 1964 Jetstar 1 was my choice.  I believe, if memory serves me, they shared the concave rear window of the GP, the Starfire.  Not the faux convertible stamp top of the Bel Air, Impala, even Buick or Catalina.  

With the Jetstar 1, correct me if am wrong Glenn and others, you got the bucket seat console interior, the Starfire motor but no stainless or chrome Starfire gee gaws added on.  

Sorry to sway from the Pontiac purpose of this thread - to bring it back, give me a 64 Pontiac with those slightly recessed front headlights and taillamps in a 2+2.  

That was the idea behind Jetstar I. A slightly cleaner styled car with Starfire interior styling and drivetrain. Yes, Oldsmobile was watching what was going on across the way at Pontiac with the GP.

Trouble was the J-I cut into Starfire sales more than it did GP.

I'd go for this Cat, but I would be in trouble if it were a 2d sedan with bright window frame mouldings. I could easily do something stupid over one of those in this condition. I'd find myself with a nice new toy with nowhere suitable for it to live. And the ball rolls faster downhill...

Those big chrome tips do look goofy, but they have probably protected the rear bumper from exhaust fume damage.

• Like 1

J-I was considered a subseries of the Dynamic 88 (not Jetstar 88) and except for the buckets/console shared the D88 interior trim and materials and underpinnings. Starfire was its own exclusive series.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Starfires and have always had one around since I was 16. But a J-I is also a nice car to have once you understand what it actually is. Most Olds buyers didn't, but the ones who did knew they had the hottest car Oldsmobile made at the time.

Then the Toronado came along and blew the Starfire and J-I both out of the water. The Delta Custom appeared in 1967 as a thinly disguised Starfire (many even had the Starfire engine) but the J-I was a casualty of Oldsmobile's own marketing. There wasn't room for two full-size Olds performance cars, and certainly not for three of them.

Back to the Cat, I think anyone could enjoy owning this car. I might dress it up a bit with Pontiac's gorgeous 1964 spinner full wheelcovers, but this car sits nicely as it is.

Is sexy, no?

pont64.jpg

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Pontiac Catalina 2dr Sport Coupe - Multiple year HPOF Certificates - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 9/23 SOLD!

Lord I hope the Cat found a good and PROPER home, with someone who appreciates it and understands the significance of HPOF. I sure would hate to see it flipped or worse yet consigned to the next big auction.

The trouble with nice, fairly priced cars like this is they attract opportunists who see things only in terms of money, and who could not care less about the intrinsic and historic value. HPOF is only a marketing term to such people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

How does one go about getting a car classified HPOF ?  I have a 53 Plymouth sedan that is original right down to generator, floor mats, coil, and carb.  Literally a little old lady only drove it to church on Sundays and bingo on fridays

I'm embarrassed to say I can't answer your question as I've never had a car that qualified ☺️, but sounds like your Mayflower does. 

This thread in the Judging Forum may help.

I think you can find the HPOF judging form on the AACA website homepage under "Publications", but I can't get the homepage to load and work this morning.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

How does one go about getting a car classified HPOF?  

It has to be evaluated at an AACA national meet.

You register your car in the HPOF class (Historic

Preservation of Original Features), and it will then be

evaluated according to the criteria that Rocketraider

showed above.

• Like 2