1922 Dodge Bros Tail light

alsfarms

I have just purchased a drum style DB stamped tail light and license plate bracket. I am rather new to Dodge Bros so I ask this question. How is the correct way to mount this tail light to a touring car? The car currently is equipped with wood wheels however, I have a set of restored 24" Houk wire wheels, hubs and caps that will be installed later. I am guessing that with wood wheels the tail light is mounted to the spare tire hanger. When I convert the Dodge to the Houk wire wheels, what is the factory way and location to mount the tail light. 

Oh yes, "Myers" was able to provide all the missing bits and pieces so I can assemble a complete windshield assembly. Thanks for that suggestion.

Regards,

Alan

IMG_20230912_093905971_HDR.jpg.cb30fc0b071d12447d2a4b54bba6a44b.jpgIMG_20230912_093919271_HDR.jpg.6cc3df48f410e23d421c664e2d736a5f.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

Here is another question regarding the above pictured tail light license bracket. Does it appear to be correct? I am now doubting that the license plate bracket is correct as directly above the bracket I see holes correct to fit carriage bolts in from the inside?  Can anyone confirm what I have and correctness?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

This is how the rear lights were mounted on my late '22 touring car with wood spoke wheels when I bought it, Al. I think it is more or less correct. I believe the light with the red and orange lenses was installed by a DB dealer in 1924, when brake lights were first required in California, and I think the "stop" light and the reflector were aftermarket.

back to '22.jpg

Thanks. Your taillight is very much different from my light as shown above. It might be tight, but could you get a picture showing what your taillight is mounted to?  I am guessing that a 1922-23 touring car with wire wheels must have an alternative location to mount the tail /stoplight.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

My tail light has the license plate located right below the light, so I assume that my arrangement would mount in the middle of the spreader bar you referred to. This is understandable for a wood wheel car. Can someone share a picture or knowledge on a wire wheel touring car?

Al

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Thanks for these pictures. I guess I will need to come up with a home brew bracket, similar to your bracket from 1924 in order to facilitate mounting the taillight on a touring car with a rear mounted Houk wire wheel spare.

Al

If you have dimensions or if someone is willing to share them with you, try contacting Laughing Coyote (Martin) via PM to see if he can build one for you. He did a great job on one for my model. His pricing is very, very reasonable, excellent communication and pre drawings before making the part was also a plus. We dealt mostly through PM and the bracket and tail light fit perfectly in the end. 

Laughing Coyote - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

Back side showing how mine was mounted to truck originally 

image.png.7884c8633f6c12937dd7b95bf8ad7371.png

Thanks to George F. at Romar I had measurements to go off of.

image.png.f947c170363ebe53c70b7262d651fc67.png

End result was a perfect fit and looks completely original.

IMG_E6881.JPG

IMG_E6882.JPG

• Like 3

Alsfarms, I THINK '22 still had the small round tail light with only a tail light bulb. I don't have a manual here for '22 to look if there's a picture. Ask AACA library. The big round light shown above I THINK is '23 when it had a brake light added. The oval Matt showed is for '24 and has brake light. As to how they were mounted for wire wheels I need to know too as I have a car with wires. 

• 1 month later...

Guys, This taillight study has been ongoing for a while. Here are some data to answer questions about DB taillights. The early taillights were E&J model 25 but there were different configurations. This basic light in varying configurations continued from the beginning up to 1923. The oval DB TYPE B was introduced in '24 with the addition of a STOP light. That oval design was only used for '24. The round DB type B was used from '25 to '29. There were several slight variations. The '27 SENIOR was purported to be Nickle plate instead of plain Black and the '28 Victory hat a tapered 'V' wedge impressed on top like the 'V' om the top of the front fenders. Those had the "DB TYPE B" script tilted over  to the side.. 

'15 - '23 .jpg

'25-'29 rear.jpg

'26 - '29 front.jpg

1924 ONLY.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello and thanks for this very nice taillight presentation. I now know the answer to the "where and how", to mount the taillight on my 1922 DB touring fitted with 24" Houk wire wheels. I also need to study how to update the mounting brackets to safely mount the spare wheel assembly to the back of the touring car that will not tear the back panel of the body off over time. Thanks again for this input.

Al