?? Anyone ever seen one of these?

pont35cpe

It's probably a spark gap to raise the firing voltage. Not 100% snake oil, but definitely leaning in that direction. You could just widen the plug gaps. There are also resistors that look about like that to fight radio noise, although they probably would have mentioned radio noise in addition to the other claims.

• Like 2

They used to sell these at things like the county fair.   Buddy would have a car with the plug gaps set too narrow so that it idled rough. Then he would snap the magic part in the coil wire and it would smooth right out. $5.00 tune up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

It's probably a spark gap to raise the firing voltage. Not 100% snake oil, but definitely leaning in that direction. You could just widen the plug gaps. There are also resistors that look about like that to fight radio noise, although they probably would have mentioned radio noise in addition to the other claims.

Bloo is spot on.

• Like 3

I've never seen one like that one, but they were common enough in 60s and 70s. One of my uncles swore by them.

Course he always bought the cheapest cut-rate station gas he could find too- the stuff that had who knows what in it, from when the pipeline switched from transporting gasoline to diesel to jet-a or whatever. My daddy called it "trash gas".

• Haha 1