Newport Hill Climb

The Newport Hill Climb is coming up on September 29-August 1. I was just wondering if anyone besides me planning on going or competing?  I’m planning on going Saturday. Its amazing the amount of vehicles as well as the condition of them. You can see anything from 1900s to 1950s as well as barn finds to fully restored go up the hill. There’s also a nice car show. Mike

• Like 1

Newport is only about an hour and fifteen minute drive for me (or just under two in a brass era car), with old car friendly roads the whole way, and I have been to the town many times… but never gone to the event because it’s the weekend before Hershey!  I have said for decades that I am going to check out the hill climb, but I always have a truck to load with parts instead.

It sounds like a cool event. But it seems like the scoring is unfairly biased against big cars. Scoring is based on the time in seconds to climb the Hill multiplied by the cubic inch displacement of the car's engine. Lowest score in each class wins.

So a 2000 pound car with 200 cubic inches and a 4000 pound car with 400 cubic inches that had the same power per cubic inch should in theory run the same elapsed time. But the big car would receive twice the points and lose. That doesn't make any sense to me.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I ran the hill for over 15 years and it was a blast.  This years raffle car is my old car a 1938 Plymouth P6 slantback.  They have a large number of classes split up mostly by years.  The differance in engine displacement in many cases is substantual and the formula that they have devised is more to even out the class then to offer an advantage.  Classes are also split by 8-6-or 4 cylinders.  If anyone has an oppertunity to go or better still to run the hill I highly recommend it It"s a blast.  The dates for future ref. is the first weekend in October every year.  By the way it's Newport, Indiana.

unnamed (1).jpg

373912405_977008176965492_2446081591053632715_n.jpg

Edited by olply (see edit history)
  • Like 2