For Sale: 1967 Mercury Cougar - "Two owner, Garage kept entire life, Solid" - Saddle River, NJ - Not Mine - 8/25 Pending - 8/26 Deleted

For sale on Facebook: 1967 Mercury Cougar 2-door Hardtop Coupe in Saddle River, NJ  -  $13,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1254818271714910/-1967-Mercury-Cougar

Seller's Description:

1967 Mercury Cougar 2-door Hardtop Coupe

• Driven 126,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Beige · Interior color: Black
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

Reluctantly selling my 1967 Mercury Cougar. I am a life long collector and have to start thinning out my cars.

• This is a two owner car. Garage kept its entire life. 126,000 miles. Unmolested and original in every way. A solid car and not a rust bucket. Even the radio works. Have meticulous service records from previous owner. Runs and drives but will need water pump soon. Not leaking coolant but bearing is noisy. Clean original interior. No rips or or split seams. No dents and was never wrecked. Have clear NJ title.

You will be hard pressed to find of these cars in this condition. $13,500. Location is Emerson NJ. Serious inquires only. Cash offers in person ONLY. I DO NOT respond to “is this available" or any other nonsense. Leave a contact number if at all serious. Thanks.

image.png.b1f543dbc3c2f58aed52f89f0b62d5f7.png

image.png.ac3a426b397b487bbe9115db7bc72fa2.png

image.png.286569115b4f053c338cc08eb4089335.png

image.png.eb5c82d3a07d32399256423f728fa245.png

image.png.686f4fd0cda2cd62e11b9d9e88cc2bb4.png

image.png.08824035cd6a02ba5eb1facd2cda2fb2.png

image.png.281c0728d024157c9e9477b25fee559d.png

image.png.35cda935acad4c122aa51471b5677719.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As I understand the early Cougars are the most desired.  This one is pretty plain and not an XR-7.  The seller talks about a water pump but one look at that radiator and how the coolant stains at the perimeter of the top tank leaks which leads me to to believe it is going to need both the water pump and a radiator.  There is a possibility that the owner really did not do much maintenance.  Look carefully before you buy.....

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Fossil, I agree. When they came out, it was THE car of 1967 for me. '68's are OK, but the mandatory side marker lights distract. 

I bought a green '67 in 1972... 5 year old car with 50,000... for, if my memory is right, $375. The most abused car I've ever owned. Noisy lifter, dented drivers door and hood. Vinyl top was sunburned, rust by back window. They must have eaten every meal in the car and ground the orts into the carpet. Filthy. I was young, ambitious, and poor. Stripped off the vinyl top. Scrubbed and cleaned the interior, bought a used door, tried my hand (not really successfully) at bondo, had it "dipped" white. Sold it for $600.

Probably broke even, not counting my amateur labor.

Still like them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fossil said:

When these came out I thought they were way more attractive than the Mustang.  Sales numbers proved me to be wrong again.

The Cougar was targeted toward buyers who were a step-up in price and sophistication from the general Mustang customer.  While sharing generally the same unibody platform, the Cougar received a 3" stretch ahead of the cowl plus was given the most sophisticated styling ever applied to that series.  L-M customers were medium-priced and luxury oriented, would not have been as numerous as those who bought Mustangs.  

What is remarkable is finding an early series Cougar that is an unmolested example.  When they hit the used car market, they got subjected to the same abused and butchery which Mustangs received.  Worse was, since they were the 'second choice' subordinate to a Mustang, those that bought them rarely treated them with respect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Most Cougar (and Flair Bird) people are ditching the motorized stepper switch for electronic switches.

As much of a purist as I am, if I owned a 60s Ford product with sequential signals, it would have an electronic sequencer switch.

Passenger door to quarter alignment worries me.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1967 Mercury Cougar - "Two owner, Garage kept entire life, Solid" - Saddle River, NJ - Not Mine - 8/25 Pending
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1967 Mercury Cougar - "Two owner, Garage kept entire life, Solid" - Saddle River, NJ - Not Mine - 8/25 Pending - 8/26 Deleted