1976 Ford Pinto - $1,800 (Newport News)

I have had lots of Pintos over the years. Great little cars and fun to drive with a manual transmission. This 1976 Pinto has an early front end on it. Pre 73 small bumper. I have 2 early Pinto wagons in my personal junkyard if anyone needs parts 

• Like 1

I do say, the little 4 bangers were pretty good cars for what they were. My brother in law bought his new in 72 and ran that thing forever. My sisters was a bit newer, may have been a 74. The 72 was a manual with a hatch back, my sisters 74 had a trunk. About the only difference.  It ran great until one of my brothers took out the oil pan with a parking block! It was never the same again😕  I have another brother that bought a v-6 woody wagon when he was in the Army. That thing never did run right and spent more time in the shop than on the road. 

I wouldnt mind having one as a semi-daily driver if it was in really nice condition. Would never think about restoring one though.

• Like 2

I'm not a Pinto expert, but aren't those seats

incorrect?  The side bolsters, the cloth pattern,

the 2-tone color, appear to be from a later era.

Collectors may fawn over Classics and 1960's

muscle cars that were barely useful for street use;

but a once-common car like this Pinto may interest

more of the public at today's car shows.  "My parents

use to have a car like this when I was growing up!"

"I had one of these in college!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes the seats are out of something else, and it has already been mentioned that the nose is early and not original. I didn't even know you could do that, as the 73 (and later) Pinto is an entirely new car under the skin. That wrong nose makes a better looking car. Remembering Pinto seats, I don't think I would complain too much about that either.

• Like 1

Just to put things in perspective, paying $1800 for a car today is equal to having paid $300. for car back in 1965. Most of the cars I drove to college back then cost $100. or less. Back then, a 45 year old car, such as this Pinto is now, would have been built in the 1920's and NO younger person would have been driving such a car. Having worked at a "economy priced" used car lot in the  60's, most   Fords/Chevys/Plymouths/Nashes/Studebakers from the early to mid-'50's sold  in the $300. range, with the exception of low mileage "cherries", which demanded a couple of hundred dollar premium. More expensive models and brands were sold in the "more respectable" part of town.

MotorCities - OK Used Cars Were a Part of Our American History | 2018 |  Story of the Week

• Like 3