For Sale: 1965 AMC Rambler American 440H 2dr Hardtop, 83K miles - $7,500 - Westbrook, ME - Not Mine

For Sale: 1965 AMC Rambler American 440H 2dr Hardtop, 83K miles - $7,500 - Westbrook, ME

1965 Rambler American - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1965 AMC Rambler American 440H 2 door hardtop. 6 cyl automatic transmission. Runs excellent, tires are almost new. Clean interior, no rust, ready to enjoy.
Contact: Please call Mark for more info.  (207) 2-3-two-2-3-twelve

Sorry no text messages or emails please. 

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1965 AMC Rambler American 440H 2dr hardtop.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 8,164 1965 AMC Rambler American 440H 2 door hardtops built.

'65 Rambler American ME a.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME b.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME c.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME d.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME e.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME f.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME g.jpg

'65 Rambler American ME h.jpg

• Like 3

I love white cars with red interiors. And I have a soft spot for AMC products. So this is cool. The torq-thrusts make it even better. A twin stick shifter would be the icing on the cake, but alas it is not to be. 

I assume this is not a native Maine car. It looks like one could enjoy it as is, and reupholster the seats as a winter project. 

Edited by Gearheadengineer
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Twisted Shifter said:

I've heard of and often seen Rambler American 440's (and even owned a convertible briefly many many years ago), but have never noticed the 440"H" designation. Were they all 440H's or was that a special order option. If an option, what did it consist of?

An engine option for 1965 was the overhead-valve 155-hp Torque Command 232-cu.in. straight-six. It featured a more modern over-square design with a large 3.75-inch bore and a short 3.50-inch stroke, whereas the venerable undersquare 195.6 had a small 3.125-inch bore and a long 4.250-inch stroke.

The 232 featured a seven-main bearing block and a cast reciprocating assembly with aluminum alloy pistons. A quiet hydraulic-lifter camshaft, 1.5:1 ratio rocker arms, 1.787/1.406-inch valves in the cylinder head, a two-barrel carburetor, and a breaker-point ignition system were also employed.

Though the 440, 330, and 220 models offered various body styles, the 440-H was only available as a two-door hardtop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My Dad had a 65 6 cyl, 2 door, with 3 speed on the column.  Pretty sure it was a 220 model.   It left him on the side of the road a couple of times.  

Both my brother's wrecked it, but not so much it couldn't be fixed.  Dad hated that car and ended up trading it in on a 70 Dodge Challenger.  318 with a 3 speed stick shift.   No idea what he was thinking with teenage drivers in the house.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just pulled my handout from the 1965 Detroit Auto Show.  It doesn't give much information, but the hardtops were designated as H models:

Ambassador 990-H "bucket seats, folding armrest and center cushion standard, console and floor shift optional"

Classic 770-H bucket seats were available, but it doesn't mention if they were standard or optional

American 440-H "reclining bucket seats, console and Twin-Stick Floor Shift, optional"

• Like 1

AA18X14U.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpgIKA Torino 380W

23 of 40 Photos in Gallery Back in the mid-1950s, the now-defunct Kaiser produced cars in Argentina under the Ika nameplate. A decade later, Ika was approached by AMC. The American manufacturer provided Ika with the Rambler American platform, and the Ika Torino was born. The base Torino debuted in 1966 and was rather advanced compared with its competitors available in Argentina at the time. Three years after the debut, Ika unveiled the Torino 380W, which was the ultimate trim level of the car at the time. The IKA Torino 380W was powered by a 176-horsepower 3.8L motor under the hood. In the upcoming years, IKA released more powerful variants of the Torino based on the 380WIKA Torino 380W

Back in the mid-1950s, the now-defunct Kaiser produced cars in Argentina under the Ika nameplate. A decade later, Ika was approached by AMC. The American manufacturer provided Ika with the Rambler American platform, and the Ika Torino was born.

The base Torino debuted in 1966 and was rather advanced compared with its competitors available in Argentina at the time. Three years after the debut, Ika unveiled the Torino 380W, which was the ultimate trim level of the car at the time. The IKA Torino 380W was powered by a 176-horsepower 3.8L motor under the hood. In the upcoming years, IKA released more powerful variants of the Torino based on the 380W.

Edited by Vinny... (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1