Video barn find 1924 DB

MikeC5

The wire wheels are interesting.  I don't know that I'd ever seen wires on one of these (if it really is a '24).  Under the hood, it appears someone adapted the later cross-block intake tube with the air 'filter'.  I don't think that was OEM for 1924 but on later cars ('26 ?).  I sure hope he at least drained the oil and put new stuff in there.  No mention is made of what condition the fuel system was in either....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMcs1Lg5F0&t=12s

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

No mention is made of what condition the fuel system was in either....

Nope, just la de da, start it up like nothing much happened while the camera was stopped.

10 hours ago, 22touring said:

couldn't figure out why the intake was on the passenger side of the engine on a '24.

The air intake is on the right hand side of a 24', (after it goes between cylinders two and three).  I think the manifold may be from a newer engine, maybe a 27'?

image.png.9c7d1930267c8945884d6dfd6e3d0199.pngimage.png.194c6ff9c539df325dd5db658d4a3734.png

I guess I have forgotten some of my DB 4-cylinder history.

I used to have an article from the DB Club News, which I think was written by the late Dick Perry, detailing all the changes made to the 4-cylinder engine from 1914 to 1928, but I can't find the article. I've also tried to search for the information on the 'net, but had no luck so far.

I certainly would appreciate it if someone could point me to a source that would state when DB switched from the "single unit" (combined starter-generator) to the "two-unit" (separate starter and generator) design; when did the carburetor and intake manifold move from the left to the right side of the engine; when did the distributor move to the front of the engine; and any other significant design changes to the 4-cylinder engine.

The "D" engine was the one with the distributor in front, driven by a chain rather than the old timing gears; the water pump, generator and manifolds were re-located and the oil pump was inside the crankcase. (The old 4-cylinder had received 5 main bearings with the production of the "C" engine starting on July 12, 1926.)

But was the "D" engine that was first introduced in the models 126 and 127 (116" wheelbase and single plate clutch) and manufactured for less than 3 months (January 2 to March 22, 1927) the same as the "D" engine that was used in the model 124 starting on March 22, 1927, which is referred to as the "4-point engine" because it mounted to the frame at 4 points? The 124 also had the new standard-shift transmission.  The model 124 was only made for about 3 months, too, before they started making the 108" wheelbase models 128 and 129 ("Fast Four") for 13 months before they stopped making the old 4-cylinder engine.  The 128 and 129 Fast Four engine had the distributor located in the middle of the cylinder head. 

Edited by 22touring
addition (see edit history)

My original 1924 series DB business coupe, 116” wheelbase, manufactured in November 1923, has 3 main bearings and the distributor mounted at mid-engine on the passenger side. It has the single-unit starter-generator mounted on the front of the engine.  The air intake, without filter, passes through the block and is on the driver side of the engine.  The 1924 engine in the video appears to have been updated with a newer exhaust manifold and air filter. 

MikeC5, et all. Why didn't someone note when he opened the driver side hood the oil level indicator ( that pin sticking up between Cyl 1 and 2) showed little OR no oil in the engine  and much noise when out on the hiway. Just sayin'. Yes those wire wheels are quite nice and not factory equipment. He will need a completely different spare wheel  carrier.  Could those wheels be Buffalo?  Lots of mods in the engine area from a factory '24. Nice car. Much potential!