Rivieras at the 2023 BCA Nationals - Spokane, WA

65VerdeGS

We just got back from attending the 50th Buick Club of America National Meet in Spokane, WA on July 15th.

We entered our '65 Riviera Gran Sport into the 400 point judging category. I'm pleased to report we attained a "Gold Award" for scoring at least 385 of the 400 possible points. 

image.png.c8e5f3180b5e8754015a4e4386392f61.png.

Here the 4-man judging team goes over our car...

image.png.a96831b12158f77e18f25fe4c3babd44.png

Filling up, something we did rather often. The car averaged 14.1 mpg over the 830 mile round trip from Vancouver, BC.  We drove 70-75mph all the way, the car ran well, and didn't overheat in the 90+ F weather.

image.png.3dc93f241842148e49a1dcef4c5dec04.png

Our "Gold" and "Driven" awards, the latter for driving a bunch of miles to the show.  Although we drove a fair distance, this was easily eclipsed by a fellow who drove his '29 McLaughlin Buick from Toronto, Ontario in six days!

I've posted a short (3 minute) video of the Rivieras entered into the show.  Enjoy!

• Like 16

Alex,

Nice meeting you last weekend and congrats on the Gold, well deserved, your Riv looked great.  The drive home in the heat made me wish I had brought my 65 Riv with AC, rather than the 70 GS455 convert (no AC)!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

We drove 70-75mph all the way, the car ran well, and didn't overheat in the 90+ F weather.

Alex, good thing your Riv has the 5-Vane water pump. Lame 3-Vane pumps are only available as rebuilt units and without oversize bearings. For once, an aftermarket part that "Meets or Exceeds OE . . . ."😆

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to the BCA Inland Northwest Chapter for hosting the Meet. Spokane was do-able. Always a pleasure vaca'ing in the Pacific Northwest, have yet to see it all! 

A RARE May built 1963 LeSabre 4-Speed with a 1-off silver 425 JW "Riviera Engine".                                                         BIAS Ply Tires & all numbers correct, unbelievable!

image.png.542d5f60bc108b2b4da58f31e3a41965.png

image.png.7647cad7087d3756aea58e725861acd3.png

image.png.0edccad4da12c0d69344292df22947a1.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Alex, Thank you for the video and congratulations on the well deserved Gold and the car running excellent on the trip. 14mpg is good for a GS running 70-75.

Nice bunch of Rivs there. Anyone know how many cars total?

The handbook included in the registration package listed 149 registrants.  There would have been more who registered after the handbook went to press.

At the awards banquet the presenter remarked that attendance exceeded expectations because pre-registrations weren't as high as they had hoped. 

So, obviously more registered late. 

My guesstimate is there were close to 200 cars there.

Here's another rare car from the BCA show - "Rebel", a 1966 Wildcat GS in magnificent condition. 

I had never seen one of these before, which isn't surprising as only 195 were built.

Tom - have you seen this car before?

image.png.c9059d2296fbb158a744afcadc85a2a0.png

image.png.5196c362fe774370f293399aa39add57.png

image.png.54af4462d325eb63e4506b2087085965.png

image.png.4434b271dffa8c5daee2974bdc00bdd1.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

a 1966 Wildcat GS in magnificent condition

Aside from a 1965 Riviera GS, this has to be my most favourite Buick of all. Actually, a 2 door hardtop but, this convertible will do! Of course I connected with the Owner in the blistering sun (kept it short) and supposedly this Unit was delivered to the dealer with 2X4 intake, long gone. However, he has rounded up enough to recreate as-delivered HW. He has a '64 Riviera with the Super Wildcat but could only bring one car.

A handful of G1 Rivieras. Aside from Alex's, captured this one.

image.png.d14c7180f6a84140e39ca0a310af38b4.png

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 7:47 AM, cjp69 said:

XFrameXF (John), it was nice meeting you!

Chris - It was nice to meet you at the show. Too bad you didn't have your red '65 GS with you for us to admire!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:13 PM, XframeFX said:

Aside from a 1965 Riviera GS, this has to be my most favourite Buick of all. Actually, a 2 door hardtop but, this convertible will do! Of course I connected with the Owner in the blistering sun (kept it short) and supposedly this Unit was delivered to the dealer with 2X4 intake, long gone. However, he has rounded up enough to recreate as-delivered HW. He has a '64 Riviera with the Super Wildcat but could only bring one car.

Do you kow what the build month/week was?  If it's like the Rivieras, the 2X4's intake system was only available during the first half of the model year as a dealer ordered kit.  That's why his engine code is MW.  If the car was ordered after the 2nd week of March 66, with the 2X4 intake option, the engine code would be MZ

Edited by psychostang
To correct engine code. (see edit history)

8 hours ago, psychostang said:

Do you kow what the build month/week was?  If it's like the Rivieras, the 2X4's intake system was only available during the first half of the model year as a dealer ordered kit.  That's why his engine code is MW.  If the car was ordered after the 2nd week of March 66, with the 2X4 intake option, the engine code would be MX

MZ...and the factory installed Super Wildcat option could have been ordered in late Feb...the earliest MZ cars we know of have late Feb body build dates.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psychostang said:

Do you kow what the build month/week was?

Why don't you contact owner Tim and ask? Being the custodian of a '64 Riviera Super Wildcat he is ROA member #11625. You'll find his contact info in the ROA Member Roster XLS.

I prefer the 1965 instrument panel but '66 Wildcats are awesome!

Some 1966 Memorabilia - "Place Your Order Today!"

image.png.53ad352a26cbce0ab6bda2c302f4f1c0.png

image.png.0aea8a5004aab0ed23f935a16af94183.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Deanoko said:

I was there. 

I missed you Friday Morning. But we met (along with my son) Thursday PM. Dean, great to have met you!

I realized later I should've asked to sit in the driver's seat of your Riviera to try out your RS OSRV Mirror!

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Great to meet you all too!  My radiator is out getting boiled out.  Had to turn off the AC on the way back to PDX.  Made for a pretty miserable drive.  Hoping that and a new fan clutch will solve my problems.  At least the mirror works! 

21 hours ago, cjp69 said:

hmm, maybe the forum blocked my link, as it didn't appear in any of my posts.  Will try again.

https://gngs.smugmug.com/Cars/Buick/20230714-Buick-Nationals-BCA-Spokane-WA/

Wow what a treasure trove of great meet photos. Loved all the non-restored patina vehicles. There were quite a few.

Thanks Chris for posting link and big thanks to your friend Randy.

3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Ditto, 23 pages inlcuding a Mecury Parklane stn. wagon. THANKS!

12 hours ago, Deanoko said:

Hoping that and a new fan clutch will solve my problems.

My nailhead is still coming together. Glad I replaced the water pump with a Chinese replacement that's actually better with the oversize bearing. That Fenco fan clutch is HEAVY!

7 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Wow what a treasure trove of great meet photos. Loved all the non-restored patina vehicles. There were quite a few.

You are welcome Jason.  And if you look under the "Buicks" folder on Randy's website, you will see photos from our WA Buick Open for many years as well as photos of Buicks from other events, including the 2007 BCA Nationals in Bellevue WA. 

https://gngs.smugmug.com/Cars/Buick

• Like 1