Lubrication of Front steering/kingpins 1931 Chrysler

Gunsmoke

The instruction book for 1931 Chrysler CD8 stipulates lubricating steering spindle (king pins) every 500 miles with "fluid gear lubricant" using a high pressure gun at the nipples. I think kingpin bushings are grooved. Also, the tie rod ends and drag link ball joints should be lubricated with same product (they also have nipples). What are some of you using? I contemplated using a grease gun with a thinnish grease, but was thinking perhaps a heavy oil instead (600W cylinder oil), or about 300 weight modern oil. Recommendations?

3 hours ago, viv w said:

Have always used  normal chassis grease and a grease gun over the years with no issues. The mileage we do these days any wear will be negligible 

Same here, except I probably drive my vintage cars much more than most, i.e. several thousand miles each annually, so the chassis gets lubed, along with oil & filter service, tire rotation, brake adjustment/check, etc at least once or twice a year and at minimum at least once, even if not driven much or at all.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Fordy for the specific product suggestion. For what it's worth, early in the week I pumped some chassis grease into both steering spindles, and while they freed up somewhat, they were still pretty stiff. One spindle was missing an end cap, so I poured a small amount of 90 wt oil into that end and let it sit for awhile. The difference was astonishing, suddenly the spindle moved with ease. As you know, these cars have manual steering and 4 ball joints (tierods and drag link) to rotate as well as 4 kingpin bushings to lube, so a lot of parts/joints that can cause stiffness, so any product that can ease steering is what I want to use. Will try a heavy gear oil and let you all know how it works. I have some 90wt, and some 600W transmission oil, so will try the 600W first (less likely to seep past seals). 

• Like 1

If you decide to run the Penrite stuff, product codes are SEMI0005 for the bottled version (wait ages for it to start to pour) and SEMI00045 for the grease gun cartridge. I have no affiliation with them but used this oil in my Hupp steering and found it also works a treat for the suspension trunnions on my Triumph Spitfire.

• Like 2

On anything with king pins, I always jacked front wheels off ground

before greasing.

For 50 years, in my truck shop, I had a greased ramp built out of rail road track in

the grease pit that would pop the front end of any straight axle vehicle up for

lube.

• Like 2