New DB owner - 1931 DG sedan

Hello group,

I wanted to give a short introduction to a car I recently acquired. 

The car is a 1931 Dodge DG 4 door sedan.  This car is an older restoration which was performed 2 owners ago in Michigan.  I am really curious if this car was restored to original condition or if it has a lot of non-stock/factory equipment.

I know there are a few (a lot?) items that are non-stock/factory equipment:

Turn signal control on steering column

Rear red lights mounted above the fuel tank

Ignition coil/mounting

heater hose routing?

Spark plug wires

Battery cut-off switch

Hose clamps

Tire valve stems/caps

Fog lights?

Extra horns?

Step plates?

Rear trunk?

Engine color?

Floor carpet/color?

Paint scheme? (I was expecting black fenders, blue lower body, black upper body.  Was solid blue and option with white stripes?)

The car does everything its supposed to rather well, runs, drives, stops, turns.  I was really impressed with the power and torque from the straight eight.  From what I gather, this car, while I hate to use the term rare, is uncommonly found today.  I have actually found very few examples of these cars for sale or otherwise talked about.  The 6 cylinder cars seem to be more common.  Any other DG owners here? 

I would really like to enter this car into the Fall Nationals in Hershey this fall, but I need to do a few things before I can consider placing it into the judged class, or leave it as is and place it into the DPC.  Really, my goal would be to get this car into a judged class, but I need to fix/correct a list of items before Hershey so I don't look so foolish.  By the way, this would be the first time I take a car to an AACA event.

I do not have a lot of good pictures, but I will post a few of the car, sorry the lighting wasn't great at the time.  Short video clip of the car when we took it for a short drive on 4th of July.

Thank you in advance for your comments and feedback.

-Randy

MicrosoftTeams-image (12).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (10).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (13).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (14).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (15).png

• Like 5

Nice car and welcome to the forum. Yes, it has many aftermarket additions to it, but apparently the previous owner wanted it to be seen at night with the extra lights. The restoration looks close to what it may have been originally. The engine color would have been a gray/green, similar to what you have there. Maybe a bit lighter. Hard to find a good, original example of that year color. The exterior horns and road lights do not belong, but like I mentioned earlier, it may have been done for more visibility at night. The ignition key would have been to the coil/ignition combination under the dashboard. It also needs the correct bumper clamps to be more original.

John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum. Is this your first antique car? You and your feelings about the hobby have a lot of growth to come. Take it slow. Fall Hershey is like the Super Bowl. Real nice 8 cylinder Dodge. Lots of upgrades but looks like a great car for sure. If it were me I would take it to shows that don’t involve serious critical judging because you are setting yourself up for unnecessary comments because of non stock extras. Just drive and enjoy this beautiful example of a rare car. Have fun with it first then consider the effort it will take to be judged for for perfection.

Edited by Steve9 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum Randy.

I have no idea how realistic that goal is for a passenger car (I'm a truck guy), but I like it the way it is.

Most of us who are true purists can appreciate your desire to save a piece of history and your obvious desire to bring it back to originality, but lets face it, that's a pretty stout list that needs completed in a short amount of time. Sourcing the correct carpet/color comes to mind as one that could take longer to complete on your list...

If you do have to have it in the big show I'd push for next year as a more realistic time frame (next fall), unless you have the time and money for the push.. then by all means go for it!

Please keep us posted as I'm sure most will be hoping you meet that deadline (if you do go for it). Would make for a good story and interesting to see the outcome.

Regards and best of luck
Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments.  Keep them coming!  Let me answer some of your questions and I will make some general remarks also.

@keiser31  I had a feeling the extra lights and horns did not belong.  I really feel they sorta detract from the car and I don't have any issue removing them.  The concern is how many holes were drilled to install these, need to weigh that against leaving them for now.

Do you have any examples of what the correct bumper clamps would look like?

@Steve9  First antique car?  No sir......I have been around antique cars my whole life (37 years currently :) ).  My first antique car would be the 1927 Chevrolet that my Grandfather bought in the early 60s, my Dad took care of the car and when I was around 15 I took a keen interest in the car and have been its caretaker ever since.  This is however, my first Dodge.  I understand Hershey is the "big show", but it is local to me, and would be the first opportunity to show the car in an AACA event.

@30DodgePanel  Thanks for your comments.  While I understand the "to do list" on this car to really get it into shape is rather long, I think I have enough time and resources to get most of the "low hanging fruit" corrected and get the car into presentable shape.  I don't really agree to push it off until next year, it's hard to say, but something might come up and next year may not be an option for whatever the reason is.  For now, I'll push to get the car prepped for the show field, DPC is always an option if I feel I am not ready.

General remarks, if anyone has a source for literature, either reprinted or original I would be interested in finding some. 

I have a few connections for early Chevrolet/Studebaker parts, but where does one go to find parts for early Dodge cars?  Most places have parts for the 6 cylinder cars, 8 cylinder parts seem much harder to find.

Kind regards,

Randy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Axial_Flow said:

Thank you all for the comments.  Keep them coming!  Let me answer some of your questions and I will make some general remarks also.

@keiser31  I had a feeling the extra lights and horns did not belong.  I really feel they sorta detract from the car and I don't have any issue removing them.  The concern is how many holes were drilled to install these, need to weigh that against leaving them for now.

Do you have any examples of what the correct bumper clamps would look like?

@Steve9  First antique car?  No sir......I have been around antique cars my whole life (37 years currently :) ).  My first antique car would be the 1927 Chevrolet that my Grandfather bought in the early 60s, my Dad took care of the car and when I was around 15 I took a keen interest in the car and have been its caretaker ever since.  This is however, my first Dodge.  I understand Hershey is the "big show", but it is local to me, and would be the first opportunity to show the car in an AACA event.

@30DodgePanel  Thanks for your comments.  While I understand the "to do list" on this car to really get it into shape is rather long, I think I have enough time and resources to get most of the "low hanging fruit" corrected and get the car into presentable shape.  I don't really agree to push it off until next year, it's hard to say, but something might come up and next year may not be an option for whatever the reason is.  For now, I'll push to get the car prepped for the show field, DPC is always an option if I feel I am not ready.

General remarks, if anyone has a source for literature, either reprinted or original I would be interested in finding some. 

I have a few connections for early Chevrolet/Studebaker parts, but where does one go to find parts for early Dodge cars?  Most places have parts for the 6 cylinder cars, 8 cylinder parts seem much harder to find.

Kind regards,

Randy

This....

post-37352-143139243226.jpg

• Thanks 1

I currently own a 36 Dodge sedan and my first Dodge was a 35. I love the curves of the mid 30’s cars but If I had the need for another I’d be looking for an 8 cylinder just like yours. So cool.

• Like 2

Axial

Nice car , I have a 1930 Dc Dodge 8, your car looks very origonal around the motor area, it has the country aircleaner, which mine has, I presume the cleaner is supposed to filter more dust out  than the round city type,. Not a lot of DKs around, as I guess it was depression time, and the extra money wasn't around to spend on more expensive cars. I have attached a photo of a pretty standard DK coupe that I downloaded off the net a few years ago as I thought it worthy of keeping it for someone  one day

Happy motoring

Kevin BCmaxresdefault.jpg.ac9f1d7dd1f259788209997f789a260a.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Axial_Flow said:

@30DodgePanel    I don't really agree to push it off until next year, it's hard to say, but something might come up and next year may not be an option for whatever the reason is. 

I understand, it's always hard to plan anything a year in advance in most cases...(I've never had good luck at it).

As for the literature, try Romars, and Myers, Troxels, Faxon Auto Literature and the usual sources like eBay, Craigslist, Swap meets etc...  those may or may not help much for 8 cylinder cars. Most of us understand how hard it is to find stuff for 4 or 6 cylinders since the info is so limited, I can't even imagine what to tell you where to begin with the 8 cylinder cars.

There's another Dodge Brother up in Washington St who knows quite a lot about 8 cyl cars and others in different parts of the world. Hopefully they see this and have better direction and answers for you.

Regards
Dave 

Just a  question to to any DG owners out there,, I noticed in the photos of the sedan, that the speedo is on the right side of the instrument panel, and the ignition switch on the left.  Would work well here in Australia, but wouldn't you want the speedo on the left hand end of the instrument panel more in front of the driver in the US, as they are fairly hard to read at the best of times, without being half way across the car. Is it in the correct position?. I guess someone with a DG handbook should be able to set me straight.

On the 1930 DC8 the speedo and ignition switch are either side of centre, so can be switched around easilyto suit right hand drive  here in Australia.

Just an observation

Kevin BC

South Australia

Down under

Axial

Kevin BC here again

Just looking at your photographs again and another observation. The fuel line from the pump to the carbi, runs very close to the exhaust manifold at the front.  It may have been rerouted when the heater was installed?. If you live in a colder area of the states probally not a problem, but here in Australia we have to keep the line as far away from the manifold as possible, other wise we can have trouble with vaporisation of the fuel( especially the rubbish fuel we get these days}. The DC fuel  line comes out of the pump, turns right and heads straight up to the carbi (line as short as possible). Once again a check of a handbook should verify the placement of the fuel line on your vehicle.

regards

Kevin BC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin bc said:

Axial

Nice car , I have a 1930 Dc Dodge 8, your car looks very origonal around the motor area, it has the country aircleaner, which mine has, I presume the cleaner is supposed to filter more dust out  than the round city type,. Not a lot of DKs around, as I guess it was depression time, and the extra money wasn't around to spend on more expensive cars. I have attached a photo of a pretty standard DK coupe that I downloaded off the net a few years ago as I thought it worthy of keeping it for someone  one day

Happy motoring

Kevin BCmaxresdefault.jpg.ac9f1d7dd1f259788209997f789a260a.jpg

This is a friend's 1931 DG8 in Belgium. It is not a 1932 DK8.

1 hour ago, Kevin bc said:

Just a  question to to any DG owners out there,, I noticed in the photos of the sedan, that the speedo is on the right side of the instrument panel, and the ignition switch on the left.  Would work well here in Australia, but wouldn't you want the speedo on the left hand end of the instrument panel more in front of the driver in the US, as they are fairly hard to read at the best of times, without being half way across the car. Is it in the correct position?. I guess someone with a DG handbook should be able to set me straight.

On the 1930 DC8 the speedo and ignition switch are either side of centre, so can be switched around easilyto suit right hand drive  here in Australia.

Just an observation

Kevin BC

South Australia

Down under

The speedometer is in the exact, correct location.

Very nice car. I kinda like the extra horns and driving lights. :) They balance well with the dual fender mounted spare tires. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello John,

Do you have anything on paper from 1931 to prove that they offered white walls on a DG-8? I would really like to see it!

Nope. I guess I should have said, "I believe they were an option, but not certain."

13 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello John,

Do you have anything on paper from 1931 to prove that they offered white walls on a DG-8? I would really like to see it!

Looking through my Master Parts List, I see no tires mentioned. What makes you think white walls were NOT available as options? Do you have proof that they were NOT offered?

Randy, as you are already an AACA member registration is already open for 2023. By all means register for THIS year. Read the online judging manual if you haven't already done so. Cars are to be displayed as they COULD have been from the dealer. If the lights and horns are age correct no problem. And if they won't accept that you are allowed safety improvements. If you are hung up on a trophy stop at the trophy shop and pick out a big one. You will be in a tough class with heavy dollar cars but I will bet you have a crowd all day as I don't remember the last 8 cylinder DB at Hershey. Most comments will be "I didn't know DB built them" or "I've never seen one." I was just at AACA library which is where the DBclub keeps it's literature. Believe it or not between AACA and DBC we have a lot of 8 cylinder info, brochures, manuals, etc. There are several editions of '31 DG owner's manuals. Buy the one printed JUST before your car was built. I think they were printed in Jan, June, and maybe Oct. New manuals would have been printed whenever they changed something on the car. The owner's manuals will answer most of your questions. If you go to AACA library for a visit talk to Matt. He is most familiar with our collection and will make you copies of anything for a few bucks. When you show at Hershey I know a place close by to keep your trailer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see in this ad the 1931 Dodge DH6 has whitewalls, so one is lead to believe that #1: They may have been an option on the 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 cars. #2: They may also have been an option on the 1931 Dodge DG8 cars. I was not around in 1931 and I know of nobody who is who worked on the 1931 assembly lines, so I don't know for certain if whitewalls were an option, but this ad may tell the story. And...it may just be an artist's rendering and not an option at all.

dodge-motor-car-advertisement-G3768N.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I see in this ad the 1931 Dodge DH6 has whitewalls, so one is lead to believe that #1: They may have been an option on the 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 cars. #2: They may also have been an option on the 1931 Dodge DG8 cars. I was not around in 1931 and I know of nobody who is who worked on the 1931 assembly lines, so I don't know for certain if whitewalls were an option, but this ad may tell the story. And...it may just be an artist's rendering and not an option at all.

I believe this is a similar 8 cylinder DB in a period photo close to the same age of vehicle that shows it was definitely a possibility. Whether or not it came from the factory that way in 1931 is yet to be proven as you both know..

I  agree with Doug, put it in the show and let others enjoy the DB 8's that were available.

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

17 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Thank you John.

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I believe this is a similar 8 cylinder DB in a period photo close to the same age of vehicle that shows it was definitely a possibility. Whether or not it came from the factory that way in 1931 is yet to be proven as you both know..

I  agree with Doug, put it in the show and let others enjoy the DB 8's that were available.

view

It IS a 1932 8 cylinder car with 1932 plates on it, so doubtful someone would have had black walls on it from the factory and then bought whitewalls in the same year. It has aftermarket accessory lamps and horns, too.

Thank you for all the comments and kind words about the car.  I am glad to have so many views and reply's to this thread.

I think showing the car in Hershey this year will be worth it just for the exposure and conversations it will initiate.  I know the car is not a trophy winner, and that is not my goal anyway. 

Kind regards,

• Like 2