What a difference blackwalls & wheel discs makes (on a '35 Packard)

1935Packard

I've owned my '35 for 16 years.  During that time, I have always had whitewalls and only kept the original wheel discs on the spares.  It has looked like this: 

33563775948_6455d01aec_o.jpg.24b10896f9c34405303d2b4e1a336c3c.jpg

I needed new tires, so I decided it was time to switch to a new look.  I have this picture of my car in 1951 (a family picture), with blackwalls and all the wheel discs on:

Screenshot2023-07-05at8_21_18PM.png.9c73fc1594370448613da99a9256c412.png

I decided to switch the car back to that.  It's amazing what a difference it makes to the appearance.  Here's the car on a ride today, with the picture made black and white to better match the 1951 photo.  

IMG_6186(4).jpg.f05456d2e43d0c585416438b05000011.jpg

A color version is here: 

IMG_6186(5).jpg.2538b1c4476118cbc7572e7f7a293661.jpg

Still getting used to the new look, but on the whole I like it.  Cosmetically (and this is all cosmetic, of course), the challenge is that the fenders are black, so you sort of lose the tires under the fenders.  But I like the change of pace.  And it makes AJ happy, which is something.

Edited by 1935Packard
(better picture) (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Love it! Blackwalls have really grown on me and now my car looks weird to my eye when I look at old photos with whitewalls. I think you'll feel the same. I especially like the wheel discs, a definite improvement!

• Like 2

Thanks, AJ, Matt, glad you like it. 

One more change I might make is to replace the cormorant with the "bail" radiator cap, for a real minimalist look.  Hard to find, it seems, and I like seeing the tall cormorant when I drive.  So maybe *too* understated.  But if I can find one to buy, I'll try it out.

Screenshot2023-07-06at1_43_44PM.png.307d4e345808c28f26de8e52b20edc81.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plain caps are hard to find. Car looks good with the change up. With the two tone I think either tire choice is fine, I always learn hard toward black walls……..I detest cleaning tires. Since the 80’s I have been adding or subtracting wheel disks for a change up in look. My 31 Caddy had a rare factory set of disks……they were rare because the brakes would overheat when installed so only a few sets were made, 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Thanks, AJ, Matt, glad you like it. 

One more change I might make is to replace the cormorant with the "bail" radiator cap, for a real minimalist look.  Hard to find, it seems, and I like seeing the tall cormorant when I drive.  So maybe *too* understated.  But if I can find one to buy, I'll try it out.

Screenshot2023-07-06at1_43_44PM.png.307d4e345808c28f26de8e52b20edc81.png

I have the plain replacement for the cormorant that goes on our 40.   It needs to be chromed but someday it will be going on.  I also have an original plain cap for my Stearns but Ed will not allow me to put it on the car.

In your case,  you can see the cormorant  in the early picture so I would be torn...

I think minimalism can be taken too far. Blackwalls, great. De-accessorizing, sure. But when you start removing one of the most iconic pieces of the car, well, I think that's a mistake. It was there when it was new, it's factory-made, and the cormorants weren't an aftermarket or rare accessory like a Lalique so I don't think it's showy or excessive. It belongs there. This is a top-of-the-line Packard, not a Model A Ford. It can be subtle but you don't need to erase what it is in the quest for peak subtlety.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On my new (to me) 1929 Buick the tires were shot and I had the choice of black or white walls and opted for the black.

On our Packards we sometimes change up the mascot's. Just for a different look. Our Big Boy Packard has the plain cap......and it really sets the car off from the others that all run the Packard chicken.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think minimalism can be taken too far. Blackwalls, great. De-accessorizing, sure. But when you start removing one of the most iconic pieces of the car, well, I think that's a mistake. It was there when it was new, it's factory-made, and the cormorants weren't an aftermarket or rare accessory like a Lalique so I don't think it's showy or excessive. It belongs there. This is a top-of-the-line Packard, not a Model A Ford. It can be subtle but you don't need to erase what it is in the quest for peak subtlety.

Interesting perspective, thanks.  If I knew the car came knew with a cormorant, I would stick with whatever it came with.  The hood ornament on that 1951 picture isn't an original cormorant, though — if you look closely, the "wings" are post-war, so it was either a post-war cormorant welded to an older base or maybe some sort of JCTaylor-esque aftermarket thing — so it's lost to time what came with it originally.   But fair point that  it's not "showy" to have the cormorant on there.

Looks good. I think a change up on the mascot would be interesting. You could consider something other than a factory piece. I wouldn’t go Lalique. It would be hysterical to buy an archer and stick it on a Packard cap………that would really be fun driving around………..99 percent of the people would buy the Pierce Arrow brand……🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Looks good. I think a change up on the mascot would be interesting. You could consider something other than a factory piece. I wouldn’t go Lalique. It would be hysterical to buy an archer and stick it on a Packard cap………that would really be fun driving around………..99 percent of the people would buy the Pierce Arrow brand……🤔

That would be awesome! We could videotape all the people at shows commenting about the best looking Pierce Arrow they have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

That would be awesome! We could videotape all the people at shows commenting about the best looking Pierce Arrow they have ever seen.

I guess you’re assuming I will be sitting in it when they make that comment? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

I just happen to have a Lalique ornament with a 35 Packard base on it. I would probably willing to just give it to you if you were stupid enough to put it on the car.   Of course, I could not be friends with you anymore.

First off, you’re assuming you have a friend………… that’s a very large assumption. Last time I checked, you were behind on all your payments to them. 🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

First off, you’re assuming you have a friend………… that’s a very large assumption. Last time I checked, you were behind on all your payments to them. 🤔

And the pot calls the kettle black.......  🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grimy said:

And the pot calls the kettle black.......  🙂

George….. I would like to remind you that I didn’t get my crown royal as promised at the Pierce Arrow National meet last week……….

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

George….. I would like to remind you that I didn’t get my crown royal as promised at the Pierce Arrow National meet last week……….

It was never promised, and you failed to buy me dinner and drinks there as was mentioned in one of these threads prior to the Meet....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 7:49 AM, Tom M said:

@1935Packard,

I like the new look with the Blackwalls. A lot easier to keep clean 👍

On 7/7/2023 at 6:05 AM, edinmass said:

I always learn hard toward black walls……..I detest cleaning tires. 

Wow. I'm going to have to disagree with you both on this one. I spend a LOT more time getting my black tires looking good than the white tires. White tires are Easy, easy, easy... you just hit them with Purple Power or something of that ilk. Voila! White tires. With black tires, if you don't get them clean and black, they look awful. Too many people (Ed?) just leave their black tires uncleaned, and it looks like it. If you're going to have black tires, make sure they look BLACK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the few interested in the cormorant vs. cap mascot question, I did find a bale-wire cap and tried it on the car. (It's a little rough, but I figured I'll get it chromed later if I decide to use it.)  I decided that the fans of the cormorant in this thread are right; the cap is just too plain.  Especially with the silver paint, it just gets lost.  I also have a goddess of speed, so maybe I'll use that as a compromise; my sense is that it's a little less grand than a cormorant.  Choices, choices. choices.

Screenshot2023-08-01at9_12_31PM.png.54f0ff7c9bad3eabc87e1738509a9fa0.png

Screenshot2023-08-01at9_08_55PM.png.ed669f67bfc0a74c98f55154570cb915.png

• Like 2

Personally, I recommend you buy a Delahaye hood ornament. then your next purchase can be a car to put it on……

And people wonder why their wives don’t like me! 😎

I think the doughnut chaser on anything after 1932 looks out of place. Maybe on a custom job it would look ok for a 33-34. 

On 7/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, Grimy said:

It was never promised, and you failed to buy me dinner and drinks there as was mentioned in one of these threads prior to the Meet....

I’ll try and catch up with you next week…..and Bob. When I figure out my schedule I will let you know. I’ll buy you dinner at In&Out. You can buy me a drink at the Lodge at Pebble. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...