1965 Chrysler 300 $3500 Not Mine St Charles MO

I've got a spot to fill at a restoration shop and so far have resisted the temptation to send a car. I first looked at this car on facebook about 5 months ago and it occasionally comes up in my 65-66 Imperial searches.   I save it then delete it.  I have the seller's phone number.  

I am looking for the Mopar guys to dissuade me from calling him.   The interior would all have to be done.  I don't think anyone makes interior kits for anything but Mopar muscle cars.  

14 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Well Jake I guess it depends on what you consider significant problems or damage. The obvious and perhaps not so obvious.  Even if I had a bleep pot full of money I can’t imagine putting it into this one.

Why?  It’s straight, it has most options, a 413 and bucket seat console interior in off white. Appears complete.  There aren’t any for sale at $15,000. 

• Like 1

On the plus, it’s a 300L, which is rare and interesting, but a 300L is one of the less distinct letter series.  It has a/c which is a plus, but no power windows.  Based on a quick search, it seems like a nice 300L convertible goes for $30-40k, perhaps a bit more.  I didn’t see any recent coupe sales.  On the other hand it is going to absorb a lot of money so you really have to want it when you’re done, since you’ll be in it much more than it will ever be worth.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Why?  It’s straight, it has most options, a 413 and bucket seat console interior in off white. Appears complete.  There aren’t any for sale at $15,000. 

Well we all look at things differently I guess. Anything in the condition that one appears to be is not a pond I want to dive into.

• Haha 1

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states 2,405 1965 Chrysler 300L two door hardtops built.

While not the most distinctive of the Letter-Series 300 models, it is the last of the breed which elevates its status.  There is no financial upside here, there is the knowledge and pride that one will have saved an example of the legendary performance/luxury Chrysler models.   And, with the performance perks built into the 300L, it would be a satisfying road car to drive.

• Like 3

Thank you for the comments.  I know whatever I hand over to the restoration shop, which is a renowned Iowa based shop recommended years ago by West Peterson, is going to be "upside down".  That is a conversation we have on here a lot.  There would be many reasons to restore one final car for me.  

I am almost 60, so this would be a final bowshot at a restoration of a car as both a personal enjoyment and as stewardship - putting one back in the "gene pool" so to speak.   

The lack of power windows is a plus to me, AC scares me to death on a car this old, but I guess it's to be expected on a 300L. 

Why this car?  As a previously noted fan of 65-66 Imperials, I like the styling of this one.  

The 413 ought to be supported by new rebuild parts, not sure what transmission is in there.  Should be a Sure Grip back there.  Being for sale for so long, my cash offer isn't going to be over $2,000, which is about as low as the market can bear on a project car these days with the pandemic driving up all prices and inflation. 

I am looking as well at Triumph TR's 3 and 4, which some 4's have been on here recently.  I have also been looking at scratching my truck itch with a 1968-1972 GM.  I owned a couple of them and love the styling, feel and they are reselling for a lot right now.  

Looking at a few other options, but I keep coming back to this car for some reason.  I am also into Buicks and most old cars, such as Cadillacs and Lincoln, but many are more common.  This is a weird duck in the pond.  I can't believe someone hasn't purchased it.  

Resale value when I die and my daughter sells for my wife?  Meh, maybe $20,000.  I think I can get it restored for $75,000.  

What is really troubling me is that interior.  Looks like a specific perforated leather and complex door panels.  Dash Pad can be redone from "JUst Dashes" but at what price?  All things all restorers have to grapple with.  

On the other hand, when I close my eyes, I can see rolling down all the windows, turning the key to hear the 413 burble, and placing it in D to go cruising after the 1st lawn mowing week in May, smelling the grass, flowers and hearing kids playing in a backyard.  

• Like 6

Hey, forget this one, run away! That low initial purchase price is meaningless when something is as bad as this. IMO this is a really, really rough junker that would cost a fortune to restore. There is almost no information in the ad and it's been for sale for 43 weeks. Does it even run? How long has it been sitting? Unless you've seen the car in person, how can you tell if the body is straight? It's not complete either, I'm counting at least 13 pieces of (mostly lower) side trim that is missing. I don't think the restoration cost will stop at $75K either as every square inch of the car has to be done over. You might want to scratch your itch for a big  Chrysler by finding a decent  nearly-finished non-letter series 300 or a nice New Yorker coupe that can be had for $20K or less. It's almost the same thing and you can keep those $75-100K restoration costs in your pocket!........ I'm not a Mopar guy but I'm doing my best to dissuade you from calling him. If you end up with this deteriorated mess IMO you're gonna be in way over your head!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The 55er said:

Hey, forget this one, run away! That low initial purchase price is meaningless when something is as bad as this. IMO this is a really, really rough junker that would cost a fortune to restore. There is almost no information in the ad and it's been for sale for 43 weeks. Does it even run? How long has it been sitting? Unless you've seen the car in person, how can you tell if the body is straight? It's not complete either, I'm counting at least 13 pieces of (mostly lower) side trim that is missing. I don't think the restoration cost will stop at $75K either as every square inch of the car has to be done over. You might want to scratch your itch for a big  Chrysler by finding a decent  nearly-finished non-letter series 300 or a nice New Yorker coupe that can be had for $20K or less. It's almost the same thing and you can keep those $75-100K restoration costs in your pocket!........ I'm not a Mopar guy but I'm doing my best to dissuade you from calling him. If you end up with this deteriorated mess IMO you're gonna be in way over your head!

There seems to be 2 camps in the old car hobby, or maybe more.  One camp buys nice originals, older restorations, drivers at a higher price than a project and enjoys the cars.  Others with arguably more money buy very nice cars, national award winner types.   There does not seem to be much of a camp for projects.  

I appreciate your comments 55er.  I continue to be curious what would make a good project?  

As for getting a 300 or a New Yorker, I would say no to the 300.  65-66 New Yorkers are equally as rare in my opinion.  When it comes to going back to get an older car, I pretty much gravitate toward high end stuff I could not afford new. 

Think Buick's Riviera - Olds Toronado - Cadillacs Eldorado FWD cars.  I enjoy my fair share of 4 doors too, but generally look for uniqueness in an older car purchase.  

To your point 55er, I am disappointed this seller, and many sellers on FB marketplace, make no adjustment of pricing, and include minimal written content about their car for sale.  FB marketplace, as we have discussed, has limitations for a true seller, but still, most cars listed see few price reductions. 

It's your money. Spend it the way you want and enjoy the adventure. Looking at that car makes the hair stand up on the back on my neck but I don't oversee your bank account. It's nice to know members here are honestly concerned about your financial well being but in the end it's your call.

If it were me and I could still get in and out of them, the TR-4 would be a hoot to own. Better yet an MGB-GT. Nothing like sliding down a curving back road at 60 mph with your fanny only a few inches off the ground to put a smile on ones face. 

• Like 1

There is another path besides turning this into a parts car, but you are all going to hate me for saying it. Turn it into a Beater.  The only picture that is displayed in the above description is of the interior, but I can easily imagine what the exterior looks like. If I bought this car for 3,500 bucks or less, I'd get it running, fix the brakes, steering, wiring, and whatever it needs to make it safe. Clean it up, patch up the seats or throw a couple of Mexican blankets on them. I'd drive it and make whatever gradual improvements I could, fixing rusty spots, then either priming the whole thing, or get a cheap spray job on the body. I'd  drive it until I get tired of it, and then sell it to someone who wants to improve it further.

• Like 1