aftermarket windshield washer pump

ytr1903

My factory washer pump is not operating, although the two speed wipers are fine. I am lazy and do not want to go through the process of getting to the wiper motor. I have a Trico aftermarket pump that I would like to install using the factory button on the windshield wiper switch, but am having a senior moment here and not able to get the trico pump to operate using the orange wire to the switch. I have tested the pump and it works fine otherwise. The trico has two wires, a ground and a 12volt wire. Is it possible to wire this pump into the switch? If so, how?

Tom

Thanks for tackling this problem. Can't wait to see the outcome, as I am in the same situation. While on the subject, though, my wipers work, only very slowly. Any ideas on what might be the problem & a possible remedy that doesn't involve removing the hood or fender would be appreciated.

Thanks Em. I was hoping it was the linkage & not the motor. However I thought I could access the linkage through the cowling vents, but after removing the screws could not get the vents to budge. Is there a trick, does the entire cowl panel need to be removed for instance? Thanks for any help, & sorry for highjacking your thread, Tom

When I put the electric pump on my '64. I used the center button of the switch. The trick was when you engage the button, you provide a ground for the pump. So you need to provide a 12 volt source to the pump and use the center button switch to provide the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Thanks Em. I was hoping it was the linkage & not the motor. However I thought I could access the linkage through the cowling vents, but after removing the screws could not get the vents to budge. Is there a trick, does the entire cowl panel need to be removed for instance? Thanks for any help, & sorry for highjacking your thread, Tom

Yes to get to the linkage remove the cowl ie wiper arms and trim, washer hose. undo the 5 screws at cowl base and pull forward.

The next time I need to remove a wiper motor I will make a 10x10 hole in the  wheel well with a cutting wheel. Then sheet metal screw a piece of plastic wheel well from a late model to cover the hole. Maybe a junk yard Buick Park Ave so the car stays all factory... Go ahead and dare me 😄 

20230611_082432.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

I got around to tackling this windshield washer pump again. Here is what I found. The terminal on the wiper switch that the orange wire attaches to is definitely the terminal to attach the ground wire from the new aftermarket Trico unit. I had it figured out all the time, BUT the button on the switch that activates the pump was not making contact inside the switch. I sprayed a bit of contact cleaner on the button and pushed it in a number of times. The switch began making the proper contact. I attached the 12v wire to a switched circuit and now have an operating washer. Done.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:59 PM, ytr1903 said:

Gen 1

What year? I'll bet 1965 if you upgraded to a Trico Unit.

Before the swap, got frustrated sourcing a bellows for the original pump. I did find at least one but the logistics to my door, forget it. The Trico was a local purchase and cheap!

I have a 1963 and had to modify the Trico to fit:

image.png.e3036cc3d3c1edd46cf2c2528dcea62e.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’ve yet to install it but I have a small steady stream pump like was on my Grand Cherokee. It mounts through a hole (you’ll have to make the hole) in the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir tank. A 12V wire, a ground wire, and a nipple for the hose.  Applying 12V causes the pump to supply a steady flow of washer fluid to the nozzles.  In theory, it should work, but as you know, the best laid plans………

Sorry about the delay in responding. I just used a Trico Model 11-101 universal pump. I left the reservoir setup just as stock and attached the "in" nozzle of the pump to the outlet on the top of the reservoir. The "out" nozzle of the pump was attached to a hose which went to a "T" barbed fitting and then a hose to each of the sides of the windshield. The pump is now nestled down below the reservoir and out of sight.

Tom