Locomobiles in Competition

alsfarms

Your point is well taken. Riker called this particular Locomobile example what he thought/wanted to call it. The information you quoted keeps historical fact as straight as possible. I for one appreciate the good information posted on the Locomobile chat forums proven and supported by historical documents not a guess or modern opinion.

Al

9 minutes ago, rydersclassics said:

I saw/read this a while back and found it very interesting. What do you all think? 

image.jpeg.28fd8987f9881c39a03ac861b901c9ee.jpegimage.jpeg.b95dddf2acc0a1e81c89bccd3a953da7.jpeg

The genesis of Locomobile M roadsters essentially begins in 1913. This type lasted till 1915. when DeCausse arrives to head the Custom Department in late 1914 his designs incorporated what was called in the body builder world streamlining. Simply stated it’s the end of flat firewalls that hood terminated on a firewall that extended past the hood to create the cowl.  No real cars are featured in Locomobile catalogs as early as 1913 only artists renderings. Prewarrnut posted the best information regarding the1913-1915 Gentleman’s Roadsters .8818ECEB-C230-4D74-A958-CD5EB942C1AB.png.e2b9c12bf15154b8e2eb0669e33316a6.png

2 hours ago, George K said:

If the catalog is dated 1915 is is a 1916 car. Again Riker knew what his car was and your semantics won’t change what he named it. He ran that company and no revisionist history will ever change that. Gunboat roadster.

Ooops.  I should quit earlier and go to bed.  It is indeed listed not as a runabout roadster, but a raceabout roadster

26 minutes ago, George K said:

P.S.  Everything from the door post back was subject to the designers / customers wishes.

Former Mark J Smith Locomobile.  Very special

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ak said:

Ooops.  I should quit earlier and go to bed.  It is indeed listed not as a runabout roadster, but a raceabout roadster

Are you quoting Riker senior, Riker junior or Riker junior's junior?

7 hours ago, George K said:

If the catalog is dated 1915 is is a 1916 car. Again Riker knew what his car was and your semantics won’t change what he named it. He ran that company and no revisionist history will ever change that. Gunboat roadster.

Edited by ak (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, ak said:

Just to be clear, reporting only what is found printed or described in authentic factory publications of the period. The information reported is not the author's opinion. People are permitted to accept or reject what is printed, however the facts reported are not conjecture or "semantics", simply the reporting of the actual words printed in the factory publications.  Also, please note the statements are not directed to or intended to explain, correct, or contradict what Riker (any one of the three of them) may have reported.  Anyone may express any opinion or interpretation which he may desire, which is the license of the First Amendment. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ak said:

Just to be clear, reporting only what is found printed or described in authentic factory publications of the period. The information reported is not the author's opinion. People are permitted to accept or reject what is printed, however the facts reported are not conjecture or "semantics", simply the reporting of the actual words printed in the factory publications.  Also, please note the statements are not directed to or intended to explain, correct, or contradict what Riker (any one of the three of them) may have reported.  Anyone may express any opinion or interpretation which he may desire, which is the license of the First Amendment. 

Amen. The first amendment gives every citizen the right to be wrong. All history is subject to interpretation but due diligence requires many sources to keep in context. I have made assumptions regarding automobile history and learned how wrong I was. Then I studied for forty years to have deeper understanding of the many forces involved in the story of automobiles. I wish the same to you. Interpret away.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, George K said:

Amen. The first amendment gives every citizen the right to be wrong. All history is subject to interpretation but due diligence requires many sources to keep in context. I have made assumptions regarding automobile history and learned how wrong I was. Then I studied for forty years to have deeper understanding of the many forces involved in the story of automobiles. I wish the same to you. Interpret away.

Right back at 'ya my friend!

14 hours ago, alsfarms said:

So John, 

What is the rest of the story on the white racecar shown above?

Al

Saw in in the forums and reposted here since our friend was looking at speedster bodies.  The one pictured is a Studebaker.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, George K said:

P.S. This is from A.L. Rikers personal papers. Not “special “ but Gunboat.69EE79A3-34E2-47B4-B591-482A37E8A66F.jpeg.22349b2df44d53afa9424ed17749f179.jpeg

George, do you have access to a copy of number 1 "Invoice for Locomobile converter for A.L. Riker, 1920"?  If so, would you kindly share a copy?  Thanks in advance. 

Thanks for posting those 2 additional pictures George they are a big help.

Been spending time & materially in an effort to find a good line and create that step-through, Special, Custom, Gunboat, Boattail Race-About,  Speedster interpretation based on Riker's Gunboat....

Its crude but got to start somewhere.

It was my hope to get further along with my mock up before sharing but the weather this morning is slowing me down.

Always open to any and all suggestions, critiques, as I attempt to tap into the Akashic record and hope Riker and DeCausse would approve.

If it comes together as I hope she gets named Yevette!

On the other hand if I am not satisfied, it gets labeled "Sourball 6". or the "Kindling Special" and I go back to the safe space of a more traditional Speedster build where I began.

KIMG1991.JPG

KIMG1990.JPG

Rikers Gunboat 2.jpeg

Rikers Gunboat.jpeg

15 minutes ago, rydersclassics said:

Thanks for posting those 2 additional pictures George they are a big help.

Been spending time & materially in an effort to find a good line and create that step-through, Special, Custom, Gunboat, Boattail Race-About,  Speedster interpretation based on Riker's Gunboat....

Its crude but got to start somewhere.

It was my hope to get further along with my mock up before sharing but the weather this morning is slowing me down.

Always open to any and all suggestions, critiques, as I attempt to tap into the Akashic record and hope Riker and DeCausse would approve.

If it comes together as I hope she gets named Yevette!

On the other hand if I am not satisfied, it gets labeled "Sourball 6". or the "Kindling Special" and I go back to the safe space of a more traditional Speedster build where I began.

KIMG1991.JPG

KIMG1990.JPG

Rikers Gunboat 2.jpeg

Rikers Gunboat.jpeg

Just an idea. You need to follow your instincts. Your car. Your rules. I like the simplicity of the lines given Locomobile 48’s are luxury based. Good luck. I can see you earned the talents that only come from years of hard work. 

• Like 1

Open pipes are in the long term plan regardless of final body style.

I like Passy's car a lot and have been studying that picture and every drawing I can find.

The seats in my pictures are tall unless I raise the top panel either by adding a curve and, or, raising the whole panel at the rear which I did try a couple of times.

At present it feels like a shift away from Riker's car styling that I am most taken by.

The next step at this point is to extend the cowl out over the dash and create that tunnel/cockpit affect then carry the cowl line straight down the A pillar.

My first thought for the step through opening is 90 degrees in front, playing with the height of the horizontal line, then following the seat back line to the top panel. If I like it I may cut down the seat height or build seats from scratch.      

Thanks for your suggestions George.

image (3).png

image.png

image (6).png

Edited by rydersclassics (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is certainly a special. I will admit to this group, I am not a big fan of the fender design that thick Locomobile shows. I imagine, back in the day, that the flat, angular fender likely had a certain appeal? Maybe they were much simpler to fabricate. Most of this type fender is seen on the Pershing Locomobiles. Just my thoughts......

Al

5 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Oh and one more "quip" from me. This Locomobile looks "tail heavy" to me with three spare tires hanging on the back.

Al

I would invite her (the machine) to stay as long as she'd like!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Here is another version of the gunboat with the straighter fenders but of course not the same cabin, etc. From 1920 (note the price):

gunb.png

The Locomobile Company published that illustration and their designation of the model being a four passenger rounded back end as a gunboat roadster in their custom body department catalog for 1917.  The photographs of the boat tailed Locomobile depicted in this forum does not appear to be a "gunboat" by Locomobile published illustration. 

9 minutes ago, ak said:

The Locomobile Company published that illustration and their designation of the model being a four passenger rounded back end as a gunboat roadster in their custom body department catalog for 1917.  The photographs of the boat tailed Locomobile depicted in this forum does not appear to be a "gunboat" by Locomobile published illustration. 

Thanks for the additional reafference picture Frank.

Here are the latest pattern pictures as of this evening.

After slimming down the center between the seat side panels I pinched the  buckets an 1 1/2"' , everything fits a little better bur feel like I need to take 3"+- of the top of the backs. Inside cockpit width set at 41". 

The cowl dash tunnel feels good, the step though  sides are working for me and the boattail is shaping up except the truck hatch frame size yet to be determined.

Tomorrows another day!

KIMG2018.JPG

KIMG2019.JPG

KIMG2020.JPG

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rydersclassics said:

Thanks for the additional reafference picture Frank.

Here are the latest pattern pictures as of this evening.

After slimming down the center between the seat side panels I pinched the  buckets an 1 1/2"' , everything fits a little better bur feel like I need to take 3"+- of the top of the backs. Inside cockpit width set at 41". 

The cowl dash tunnel feels good, the step though  sides are working for me and the boattail is shaping up except the truck hatch frame size yet to be determined.

Tomorrows another day!

KIMG2018.JPG

KIMG2019.JPG

KIMG2020.JPG

Nice.