Locomobiles in Competition

alsfarms

It has occurred to me that a special section should be created as a location for those among us who own a Locomobile of any flavor, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder that is prepared for competition as a Race-car, Speedster or Special.  If you own such a Locomobile, post here and share information, pictures, video and knowledge with us.  Learning is a good thing as we keep any Locomobile on the road.

Al

• Like 1

If you go to the website VanderbiltCupRaces.com that is run  and was created by my good friend Howard Kroplick you will see Locomobiles that were in the Vanderbilt Cup Races here on long island in period photos. many that I contributed. I used to be on a committee of the Long Island Old Car Club that would host a event to commemorate the assorted Vanderbilt Cup Races decades ago with Austin Clark on the same committee.  At the 1988 event when the 1908 race was a century old , Jerry Helck brought Old 16 over from his home in N.J. and drove the car in the event. We had 100 cars participate in a driving tour and the newest was made in 1938.

I am registered follower of Howards Vanderbiltcupraces for some time now. I enjoy the effort put into that website! Howard does a fine job. Original Locomobile Racecars, that still exist, are certainly a huge rarity. That said, I know of several Locomobile Automobiles that have been put back into service as speedsters, racecars or specials. This chat area is the place  for owners of original Locomobile Racecars or modern creations that put another Locomobile back on the road as a Racecar, Speedster or Special to converse and share information or stories. Walt, thanks for your response.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

Here is a vintage picture of what looks to be an early 1910-11 Locomobile model L factory Baby Tonneau, (not necessarily a home built speedster or racecar but is a factory built speedster).  It lloks like the young spirited lady is finishing a cut of melon before she heads into the sunset with her Locomobile.  Is that a Baby Grand Chevrolet in the background?

Al

image.png.bdcee5696d7d8b2755015bdcae96b4af.png

• Like 1

OK Al,

Been working on drivetrain dimensions, laying out radiator, engine, transmission, steering column, simulated plywood firewall, hood, steering column, and dash panel with an old seat I picked up.

If I remove the hinge pillars from the back of these seats they may have a decent line to work with.  

Here are some pictures of what I have been doing.
Took 10" out of the rear frame horns and 14" out of the frame rails. I should end up with a 128+-" wheel base.

KIMG1946.JPG

KIMG1950.JPG
KIMG1951.JPG
KIMG1952.JPG
KIMG1953.JPG
KIMG1955.JPG
KIMG1957.JPG
KIMG1958.JPG
KIMG1963.JPG
KIMG1960.JPG

14 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

OK Al,

Been working on drivetrain dimensions, laying out radiator, engine, transmission, steering column, simulated plywood firewall, hood, steering column, and dash panel with an old seat I picked up.

If I remove the hinge pillars from the back of these seats they may have a decent line to work with.  

Here are some pictures of what I have been doing.
Took 10" out of the rear frame horns and 14" out of the frame rails. I should end up with a 128+-" wheel base.

KIMG1946.JPG

KIMG1950.JPG
KIMG1951.JPG
KIMG1952.JPG
KIMG1953.JPG
KIMG1955.JPG
KIMG1957.JPG
KIMG1958.JPG
KIMG1963.JPG
KIMG1960.JPG

sorry, I can't see or open these pictures.

Hello Al,

Yes the early racers typically set the radiators back. I haven't found any examples of Locomobile racers as late as 1914 or 1915 so if you are aware of any I would love to see some pictures for reference.

On the other hand there are examples of Speedsters. Cut Downs, Gow Jobs, Specials, Jalopies, Hot Rods.....

Not sure what label fits my project yet or if it will have fenders, at this point I am looking for that balance between form and function using as much as possible from this pile.

To your point, on this particular chassis the radiator support was back 1.75" from the factory compared to the other 3 I have, don't known why.

As we do know Locomobile would build anything the customer wanted.

So I stand in my old drafty barn day dreaming of that wealthy son in 1915, working with DeCausse of course, try to finding the right balance between the steering column angle, seat height/position that fits me on this 128 inch wheelbase chassis.

More likely the poor Locomobile factory minion collecting up floor sweeping then dragging them back to some shed and risking everything if found out, to coble together a Locomobile Jalopy Racer of his own.

Either way "living the dream".

• Like 2

You are describing what motivates each of us in this old car hobby, maybe just a different approach or angle. I will make a few contacts and see if they will respond here with you on this subject of speedsters specials or racecars.  One thought on "racecar" design. I would think that the form and function of a 1915ish race car would not necessarily be true to one make alone. I certainly like and appreciate the design used by Stutz during those very years. Locomobile is so very similar. When will you be addressing your engine rebuild?

Al

• Like 1

Yes sir,

From the bottom up Al. I have the makings of 2 decent engine builds. Initial inspection of cams, rods, crank shafts, valves, pistons, and cylinders all show very little wear, likely very low miles. 

My confidence is high that the engine will come together, now the engine is a lower priority than making best use of the summer weather.

At this point my primary focus is to build the rolling chassis, determine final locate of all drive train components and body.

Both axles and transmission are ready to go. The crankcase is set back about 3.5" compared to the 1920 48 I have and on this 128" wheelbase the weight distribution should be much better.

With the long, set back six cylinder engine there are engineering challenges to overcome.

More on that later.

For now I am fixated on creating my body design.

Like you I find 1915 Stutz's, (and Mercer's) to be as good as it gets. This build will be the closest I will ever get to those timeless super stars.

There is another consideration worth mentioning. I am 6' feet tall, 250lb. and 68 years old, and I intend to drive this thing, so I am thankful for the large size of Locomobile.         

Everything was changing in 1915. so you can't go to wrong if your happy with the results, but ! ? . . .   

image (1).png

image (2).png

image.png

Edited by rydersclassics (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Are you envisioning a body rather similar to the last picture you posted of a Stutz? Your proportions are certainly similar to that car. Does anyone reading here know what CID is for a 6 cylinder 1915-17 Wisconsin powered Stutz would be?

Al

I love both styles and the European flair of the hood leans towards this Mercer picture but as mentioned I intend to drive it so the sides need to be much lower.

Tomorrow I will be building a mock up tank 2 inches smaller in diameter for a visual and time permitting using ram board to simulate body panel lines. 

Am enjoying my fathers day today and looking forward to tomorrow's adventure.   

More to follow!

Happy fathers day to all!

KIMG1975.JPG

KIMG1974.JPG

KIMG1972.JPG

• Like 2

If you look at the last pictures posted the last one has seats with high arm rests like the Stutz. 

The first 2 pictures show seats without integral armrests that could be styled like the Mercer so I am experimenting with both styles .

If you refer to the Cooper at Indy Stutz race car, it has a side panel line like the Mercer but much lower, this is the direction I am heading at present, so a blend.  

Either way I need to keep the step over panel lower than the pictured Mercer for egress.

59 minutes ago, George K said:

B17AA376-E2E5-4D2B-B9EE-8957A175FFA6.jpeg.3e80801fe9bd74b44011d85a075ea886.jpeg

This car was located in Sea Girt New Jersey over 50 years ago and no longer looks like it does in the above photo.  It was restored and converted to a Torpedo using an entirely brand new authentically reproduced body.  It is now spectacular! 

Edited by ak (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ak said:

This car was located in Sea Girt New Jersey over 50 years ago and no longer looks like it does in the above photo.  It was restored and converted to a Torpedo using an entirely brand new authentically reproduced body.  It is now spectacular! 

The guy who did it is a friend of mine. Always beautiful work.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

Ended up taking tree inches out of the simulated tank and have done more towards plywood pattern making for body structure.

As you might imagine your friends creation is one of my all time favorites!

KIMG1980.JPG

KIMG1981.JPG

Man that is a fine looking machine going together!  Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

Ended up taking tree inches out of the simulated tank and have done more towards plywood pattern making for body structure.

As you might imagine your friends creation is one of my all time favorites!

KIMG1980.JPG

KIMG1981.JPG

Did you know that an L-head mercer is just tin?  No real wood inside the body, simply tin shaped as it looks. 

• Like 1

George,

Your 2 cents worth has great value to me and your points are well taken. I am not aware of any Locomobile having been done this way, a big plus.

I will play with this idea a bit and see what shakes out.

Jesse Vincent Speedster is my favorite Packard hot rod and I can see a more modern version of Andrew Riker's Locomobile styling all over it!

packard_model_626_jesse_vincent_speedster.jpeg.efe0c58ffef6c734095213b5f245fe95.jpegKIMG1982.JPG.0325a9bb50198f07ada0a992bdcb0cae.JPG

Here’s a couple more shotsFEE30A58-63FC-4953-9EE4-1A92F60EBBB2.jpeg.de9d7319b5eb44ad129c51fc422ab5b6.jpeg0CDC1B38-64B4-4DC7-B3FB-348CFFCEB6F9.jpeg.b9a9e146d59b4a670668da8958846fa6.jpeg of Riker’s car. I see a bowed aluminum angle iron from the tail to the cowl with whatever profiling suits you. It would make construction slick. Aluminum firewall holding the dash and rivet the body panels on.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Custom for sure. It is a rather blurry line to delineate between special and gunboat.

A Gunboat was a production body.  It was a four passenger body.  The boattail is a body listed in the 1915 Custom catalog as a Runabout Roadster. 

• Like 1

It is sure a good thing that I don't know much as it makes me feel good knowing so little. 🙂

Especially when it comes to terminology involving fully custom automobiles as in the Locomobile. I wonder how many of this Riker "roadster" "gunboat" was built and sold to the public. It is to bad that this Riker Locomobile didn't have the side pipes?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

8 hours ago, ak said:

A Gunboat was a production body.  It was a four passenger body.  The boattail is a body listed in the 1915 Custom catalog as a Runabout Roadster. 

If the catalog is dated 1915 is is a 1916 car. Again Riker knew what his car was and your semantics won’t change what he named it. He ran that company and no revisionist history will ever change that. Gunboat roadster.

• Like 1