It's hard to figure where people get prices from when selling memorabilia!

Another rant i suppose, but just had to share this one discovered on evil-bay late last evening.  Someone is trying to sell this tattered, framed cover of an issue of MoToR Magazine right now.  It's being listed with a "buy it now" price of $1,499.99!    Says it was "professionally framed."  The description really is interesting - nothing like it available on the internet so it must be rare!  And of course, that makes it worth big bucks.  Crazy stuff out there!

Terry

Absurd price Motor magazine coveer.png

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Totally agree with you Terry.  If unsure about correct price, put some insane amount on it and see what happens.  I’ve seen so many head scratcher wild prices on eBay it’s hardly worth looking anymore.  That plus the artificially old signs and such it’s a real drag.

• Like 1

Professionally framed by Wal-Mart! I have been ranting about the same issue for years, millions of these ridiculously priced items sit on Ebay, sometimes for years, clogging up the ability to search for a real bargain. The search is still worth it though.

• Like 2

The same people listing the automobilia/memorabilia at the high prices think that anyone that owns an old car is RICH. 60 years ago I was looked upon as the stupid cousin by some family members because i bought an unrestored 1931 Plymouth series PA sedan to restore. They thought my parents were just foolish to cater to the whims of their only son, that I was spoiled. Well it was my years of labor, spending my saved up weekly allowance on parts, paint, etc that got the car on the road and because I became active in the car clubs, learned of others to possibly own when I out grew the Plymouth ( got to tall to drive it) . The relatives never saw nor appreciated the time and effort. BUT when older cars became the thing to do and "investors" started to buy the cars then their opinion of me changed - I became the rich relative who had old cars.

Like the people listing the paper, photos, toys , etc on evil bay they think all old car stuff is just so valuable and worth a lot of $.

Terry my friend you didn't post a rant, many of us can see your point that is well taken. You and I and many of my other good friends in the USA and abroad have what we have because it just makes us feel good, the pride in the history it represents, and how totally beautiful it all can be and $ signs have nothing to do with it.

James Melton once penned a line back in the 1950s - he described us as "fellow Squirrels" I like that and think of it most times when I add something to my collection- most of those "things" usually need a lot of time ( months even years) to bring back to the way they were 90+ years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because they are going "fishing" and feel people are gullible, "have " to have it , and all old car people are rich with big bucks to spend. Plus it is old so has to be rare , or very rare and the item is worn so has Patina that makes it even more valuable. Next you will see it referred to as "iconic"  the current "in word" for the "in crowd" that is used from everything from hubcaps to helicopters and bird droppings. Glad I am not one of the "in crowd" and just an old fogy.

• Haha 1

Yes, it's absolutely correct - the seller is just tossing something out there in hopes of finding that "sucker born every minute."  They have no clue.  Just because (according to the description) there isn't anything like it on the internet has nothing to do with its value.  As to the quality of the item being offered - agree it's one of the worst framing jobs I've ever seen on a piece that's not even worth the cost of the plexiglass covering it. It's too bad the seller isn't smart enough to do a little more research.  It wouldn't really take much effort to find out they paid too much to begin with..  It ain't the Mona Lisa for sure!

Terry

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:09 AM, Walt G said:

Because they are going "fishing" and feel people are gullible, "have " to have it , and all old car people are rich with big bucks to spend. Plus it is old so has to be rare , or very rare and the item is worn so has Patina that makes it even more valuable. Next you will see it referred to as "iconic"  the current "in word" for the "in crowd" that is used from everything from hubcaps to helicopters and bird droppings. Glad I am not one of the "in crowd" and just an old fogy.

Very true. I will admit to using some of those descriptors in my own listing but "iconic" is not included. And I actually research my stuff so the words have some meaning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1673.jpeg.48b8b5e85674e626bab25661baef3e53.jpeg

Many times I have thought that certain people should be selling whatever they are smoking instead of “X”…

People can ask whatever they want, but it is a shame that sites like eBay don’t charge some amount for repeated listings that just repeat time upon time.

• Haha 1

Yup, that's one I've posted before.  It's been for sale at that price for over 3 years now.  Meantime, several other examples have been sold in well-promoted auctions for a fraction of that price.  Reading through the listing the seller tries to promote himself as an expert - don't bother trying to tell him anything about the items he lists - he knows it all!  I guess there is a big different between "knowing it all" and being really smart.  

There are many other similar listings I've posted about also - the stupid sepia toned print that has been for sale off and on for over three years and has ranged in price from $1500 to over $20,000.00 for one, and the silly sealing wax tube being advertised as a "rare automobile servicing candle."   There are others.

Did all these idiots go through the same kind of training somewhere?

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3