1929 Chrysler Dual Cowl Phaeton

Generator got sorted out and back to stock. Just a 1 wire switch and replaced the regulator with a cutout.

Before starting it I wanted to get as much oil in the galleries as possible and come up with this.

I took the block fitting off a 72 which is a single line fitting and replaced the dual one of the 75 with it.

It utilizes a hydraulic coupling with a ID tube and a funnel that has a snug fit over the tube.

Screw it together in the block and add oil to the funnel. When done, reinstall the original 75 double fitting and hook up the lines.

Hope it works.

75 oil filler3.jpg

75 oil filler2.jpg

75 oil filler.jpg

• Like 7

I finally picked the lock on the driver's door tool tray. Unfortunately, no tools, but there was a Certificate of Vehicle Registration in New Mexico.

The New Mexico owner bought the car on 4/12/87. Registration was 6/15/87.

Car sold for $36,000, had a 2% tax and had a stamped notation that the NEV TITLE INV CAR HAS BEEN IN MUSEUM.

It was previously titled in PA under title 126600408K.

Let me know if anyone has spare tools to sell.

25 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Just a cautionary note....examine your fan VERY carefully as they are prone to getting cracks near the center.

Yes indeed!  A friend recently lost his radiator to one of those fans in the middle of a 6-day, 600-mile tour in southern Utah.  Magnaflux and whatever reinforcement as appropriate highly recommended!

There are 4 bent tabs with rivets and one of those would be my guess as a failure point. What I don’t like is the 2 rivets that hold it on the fan pulley. Kind of like a short dowel.

IMG_2178.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put a quart of oil in the oil pressure/filter port and similar down the distributor opening. Set the points, generator is back to original configuration and is in, distributor is wired, carb is on and hooked up to the aux fuel pump so I am just about ready to start it. Waiting on fan belt but I can still start it without one.

Wish me luck.

image.png.c033184f558b6f6f9f22eb3fb601595a.png

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get a Pilot Ray for the  DC. It arrived in a great wood box and was well packaged but somehow the bracket that held the light bucket to the base broke the ears off.

I decided to fabricate a replacement out of brass. I bought a sheet of 1/8" brass, annealed it and beat it into the curvature of the broken part. The base I turned out of brass rod. 

There is a taper at the top of the base that I reamed to fit.

Just need to cut out the part on the sheet, drill a couple holes, silver solder everything and find a plater somewhere.

Pilot Ray.jpg

• Like 8

Getting close. Repair one bolt hole, true up some edges and it is off to the platers, if I can find one.

75 pilot bracket.jpg

• Like 4

I started to bleed the brakes today. I filled the reservoir about 1/2 full and let it sit over night. If there are no leaks then you can bleed the brakes. If there is a leak it will be evident by a drop in the fluid level in the reservoir and a pool on the floor.

Next morning I had 2 leaks. One was the front wheel cylinder banjo bolt. Turned out the crush washer was too thin. I replaced it with a thicker one and that solved the problem. 

The second one was more problematic. It was a rear wheel cylinder and this is what I found. The fact the fitting is brass, is 95 years old and brittle and this is a steel line that I used to replace the copper,  leaves me debating replacing all the brass fittings with steel. Not a simple task.

Better fail now than when I have a bunch of grandkids in the back. Might be ok if an EX is back there. Kind of like when I was getting ready to start an Jag E-type after restoration. The Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electric fuel pump that was in the gas tank had me worried, so I had my mother in law start it the first time while I was 50 feet away.

75 brake fitting.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I ordered some steel flare nuts and will replace the brass with them.

Next thing to tackle is the steering column levers.

First one is the easy one. Polish the aluminum and paint the rim

75 column lever outer.jpg

• Like 1

The inner one is a little more of an issue. I have 2 broken used ones and one repro casting.

The debate I am having with myself is whether to take the 2 partial black rings and rob from one and cut and glue In the missing pieces to make a complete one or set up a mold and cast a complete one or machine one out of plastic or aluminum.

They all fail the same way. Sit a long time and then someone tries to force the lever to move.

75 inner lever.jpg

I opted for the cut and paste method. Need to do some more sanding and use a better paint gun for some respray, but the end is in sight.75levers.jpg.5d869cb35f9a7d1edc1f01437652536a.jpg

75 lever.jpg

• Like 7

I was back on the brakes. Fill up the reservoir and in 10 min it would leak at the left rear.

This is the same leak area where I found the split hose fitting. I had replaced the line and the coupling and still had a leak.

There is a banjo bolt copper crush washer, banjo fitting, crush washer, wheel cylinder. Everything was tight.

I checked the crush washers and the ones on the car were bout .020 thinner (.065" vs .085") than the ones I had bought from a brake line supplier.

Changed to the heavier washer and leak is gone. Evidently the banjo bolt was bottoming out in the wheel cylinder before totally sealing, maybe a few thous, but enough to leak

Crush washer1.jpg

Crush washer.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BlueDevil said:

I was back on the brakes. Fill up the reservoir and in 10 min it would leak at the left rear.

This is the same leak area where I found the split hose fitting. I had replaced the line and the coupling and still had a leak.

There is a banjo bolt copper crush washer, banjo fitting, crush washer, wheel cylinder. Everything was tight.

I checked the crush washers and the ones on the car were bout .020 thinner (.065" vs .085") than the ones I had bought from a brake line supplier.

Changed to the heavier washer and leak is gone. Evidently the banjo bolt was bottoming out in the wheel cylinder before totally sealing, maybe a few thous, but enough to leak

Crush washer1.jpg

Crush washer.jpg

Good information to know. Thanks!

Here is the replacement Pilot Ray bracket with the Revell paint. I might get away with it as it is almost impossible to see

IMG_2319.jpeg

• Like 8

Interesting footnote. I got this Pilot Ray light from Preston Tucker's great-grandson. He has Tucker #18. I guess you don't need a Pilot Ray if you have a Tucker.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:59 PM, BlueDevil said:

Ok, which side is the offset side?  The manual says:

The tongue of the distributor driveshaft, unless it has been removed (it has),is now parallel to the centerline of the crankshaft, with the offset  on the side towards the carburetor.

Which side? I would think the heavy side, but???? I guess the worse case is your dizzy is 180 out.

75 dizzydrive.jpg

hold the distributor in so you can see the position of the rotor.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the theft items when I got the car, was the round cap that covers the upper windshield pivot. I  have been unable to find one so I thought I would try and make one.

I am not a machinist and this is pretty beginner level and brass is pretty easy material, but I think I have a part, that once buffed and plated, would work.

In the pic with the original and the new one, there is still a machining tab on the bottom of the new one that makes it sit up higher and look large, but they are the same.

Another item off the list. Took about 15 min.

75 ws pivot.jpg

75 ws pivot 2.jpg

• Like 3

Who can tell me what the letter after the R in the stamping on the washer is? B or E or???

PATIENT RB, RE or something else, - 15947

1929 chrysler model 75 hayes dual cowl phaeton

3 hours ago, BlueDevil said:

The original looks like this. Any clue on how to duplicate the letters/numbers?

1929 chrysler model 75 hayes dual cowl phaeton

Take your original and new one to a trophy shop. I bet they can match nearly the exact letters as on the original.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)