57 Buick Century! $4000 "Car could be running 30 days I believe" Houston TX - Not MIne

1957 Buick Century! She was Born in Detroit, grew up in Arizona, and retired in Houston!
57000 ACTUAL MILES
Ran perfectly when parked approximately 40 years ago. Generator was removed in preparation for installing alternator. This didn't happen. Still have refurbished old 12 volt generator if needed. I think all detached Chrome pieces are included in this transaction.
Engine was so quiet you couldn't hear it when driving. Transmission was perfect. No air conditioning.
Metal floor pans rusted out after sitting under a pecan tree in Houston and are readily available from Amazon and other classic car sources as shown. Just opened the rear passenger door to take a couple of pictures and heard the closing of the door that sounded like a bank vault.
Lots of old service records. Car could be running 30 days I believe if one were really serious. For immediate response try to text me at seven 1 3 7 four 8 seven 878
Was contacted by scammers 3 minutes after ad was posted. Removed my number from the ad. I don't have time for scammers.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/houston-57-buick-century-4000-obo-first/7625312893.html 

NOT MINE- I have no connection with the sale of this 1957 Buick. 

You have long asked for sellers to wash before listing, looks like this seller took your advice

buick1.jpg

buick2.jpg

buick3.jpg

buick6.jpg

buick7.jpg

buick8.jpg

buick4.jpg

buick5.jpg

• Like 1

If the engine turns, with a little luck it's possible a good experienced vintage car mechanic could have that thing running in an hour or two (on an auxiliary gas tank of course). A more realistic possibility might be a day or two. If the engine is seized, that motor may never run again. Then there's the tranny, it may shift or it may not. After that, every mechanical component of the car (including the speedometer) will need some kind of attention. And those tires.....can you say flat spots? 

• Like 2

It may have grown up in Arizona and retired to Houston, but those rusted out rockers and the bottom of the doors indicate otherwise...  Why post the photos of the dirty car?  If one can wash it, they can certainly get it outside for some better photos, no?

• Like 2

When the seller stated that this 1957 Buick was parked 40 years ago, it's a pretty good reminder to me of what a lot of typical well-used old cars looked like back then. They were getting rusty in the floors & rockers and had dents, dings & scrapes, most were missing some trim and needed cosmetic help. Many accessories no longer worked and the interiors were getting stale showing some water stains & wear. The dash pad might be cracking, the glove box door latch was broken and the foam padding in the seats had dried out and turned to dust. Mechanically they were getting tired, oil leaks, noisy valve lifters, filthy engine compartments, and maybe some smoke here & there. Then the battery went dead so the now second or third hand beater was left sitting in the garage. Back in the 80s, there were still many parts cars like this in the salvage yards offering reasonably priced (or even cheap) good used items so die-hard old car guys could still refurbish a diamond in the rough like this and get it back on the road. Today it seems every step of the restoration process costs a small fortune. I wonder how many of these exquisite high-priced collector cars currently for sale on CL, FB & all the other popular web sites today actually looked like this 40 years ago. I'm just reminded of an earlier time when old cars were fairly easy to come by but relatively few people wanted anything to do with them. Anyway, GLWTS, this might be a good project for someone. 

• Like 4

That is a good looking car.  As was mentioned, rusted floors and rockers are suspicious for an Arizona then Texas car.  Still, very good looking car.  I've always wondered how solid a 4 door hard top would be.  They are every bit as attractive as a 2 door.  Also, I thought I saw something in the forums about some weird, 1 year suspension on these '57's that makes it very expensive to restore the front ends on these.  Still, if it were closer, I would certainly go have a look, and, if those bumper ends and the trim were there, I think I'd have to bring that home.  Sadly, 55er brings up a harsh truth, it is getting prohibitively expensive to rescue these old gals.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The 55er said:

When the seller stated that this 1957 Buick was parked 40 years ago, it's a pretty good reminder to me of what a lot of typical well-used old cars looked like back then. They were getting rusty in the floors & rockers and had dents, dings & scrapes, most were missing some trim and needed cosmetic help. Many accessories no longer worked and the interiors were getting stale showing some water stains & wear. The dash pad might be cracking, the glove box door latch was broken and the foam padding in the seats had dried out and turned to dust. Mechanically they were getting tired, oil leaks, noisy valve lifters, filthy engine compartments, and maybe some smoke here & there. Then the battery went dead so the now second or third hand beater was left sitting in the garage. Back in the 80s, there were still many parts cars like this in the salvage yards offering reasonably priced (or even cheap) good used items so die-hard old car guys could still refurbish a diamond in the rough like this and get it back on the road. Today it seems every step of the restoration process costs a small fortune. I wonder how many of these exquisite high-priced collector cars currently for sale on CL, FB & all the other popular web sites today actually looked like this 40 years ago. I'm just reminded of an earlier time when old cars were fairly easy to come by but relatively few people wanted anything to do with them. Anyway, GLWTS, this might be a good project for someone. 

I agree, I remember in the early 80s I owned a '52 Special that had been well taken care of. When I needed a part or two you could go to the "Buick Salvage Yard" in the San Fernando Valley and pick whatever part you needed. Property values in this area sky rocketed and the salvage yards disappeared, The last one in the area that I knew of said that he was moving his business to Las Vegas. It was fun while it lasted. 

• Like 1

Just now, kingrudy said:

I agree, I remember in the early 80s I owned a '52 Special that had been well taken care of. When I needed a part or two you could go to the "Buick Salvage Yard" in the San Fernando Valley and pick whatever part you needed. Property values in this area sky rocketed and the salvage yards disappeared, The last one in the area that I knew of said that he was moving his business to Las Vegas. It was fun while it lasted. 

It sure was.