Replacing Vacuum wipers with electric in '30's Dodges

jpage

7 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/38-dodge-dodge-brothers/

If you have not, you might want to post this question in above section. You might get more Dodge Brothers owners eyes on it. 

Newport engineering!   Might go over to what some consider the "dark side" and check in with the H.A.M.B. gang.

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Newport engineering!   Might go over to what some consider the "dark side" and check in with the H.A.M.B. gang.

Ben

"Dark side" MaHaHa! :) Good chance what is being asked about is a closed car, but you never know. 

Thanks guys for the reply. I just thought I'd start here first. Mark is correct, the car is a '36 Dodge sedan. Just considering changing over from vacuum for safety reasons. Problem is space, as most of the electric units look to be too bulky. I got caught one night in a severe rain storm while driving a '37 Chrysler Imperial, couldn't see a thing! That experience has stuck with me!

• Like 1

I have sent several people to Newport Engineering.

No one has ever said if they would or would not sell 6 volt.

They do not list 6 volt, but I would think I would at least ask if I were in the market,

I have used their kits a few times and they worked well. All 12V though.

• Like 1

A few years back I checked with Newport. They only made 12 V motors at that time. If you want to switch to electric you need to buy a 6 V to 12 V converter on top which cost me as much as the Newport motor and needs to be hidden under the dashboard. Unfortunately Newport advertises that there wiper motors fit to 6 V cars but that is only mechanically, not voltage wise. There is always a little note that says 12 V only. I think that is at least a little misleading.

To Jpage I am glad you asked the question. There are dealers selling these 6 volts on line, like evil bay .Amazon and even The Filling Station ,price  any where from 50 dollars to and up.  They are made off shore . CHHYnnha. They are pure junk. I bought one from The Filling Station. Will not work . I lost 50 dollars. Ended in the garbage. The best advice you can get is from the  "the wiper man" He sells on evilbay. Do not try to repair vacuum motor. The inside of the frame is worn , paddle kits  are not available. The Wiper Man sells 6 volts American Bosch wiper motors and even repairs them. Nice friendly guy to talk to. I installed one on my 28 DB. The stem is 5/8. I cut mine down to 3/8 . Even the stem can be shortened if required. The physical size of the American Bosch 6 v is about the size of the Vacuum motor. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE OFF SHORE JUNK. The off shore one is heavier and larger than the American Bosch. Do not let the stainless steel cover fool you.

I have a brand new American Bosch 6V with a long stem. I would like to sell it. Cost around 90 US. on evilbay. I will exchange it for a 19 inch wood spoke wheel rim, 4 and a half or near, half inches in diameter . This rim fits my 1928 Dodge Senior. Message me if interested.

Harry

Toronto 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

A 12V motor [ wiper]  will run on 6V, just slower.  Essentially when a blower is run at slower speeds that is what is happening. Think AC, heater, etc.

Ben

But do you want that on a wiper motor? Isn't that the reason to switch to an electric one? That it is giving you more safety? I have not converted any of my other 6 volt cars. The vacuum wiper motors are a little sluggish at idle, but good enough at speed, at least for me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

But do you want that on a wiper motor? Isn't that the reason to switch to an electric one? That it is giving you more safety? I have not converted any of my other 6 volt cars. The vacuum wiper motors are a little sluggish at idle, but good enough at speed, at least for me. 

Right on, Hans.   But if a 6V cannot be found perhaps a slow, steady running 12V is better than an interment vacuum one. 

Aren't old cars fun?

Ben

• Haha 1

Tanks guys for the info. i' going to check with some of the rebuild companies to see about getting the originals rebuilt, but I may still kook for a 6vt alternative. i just don't want to do a lot of hacking to get something to fit!

• 2 months later...