"Chappaquiddick" 2017 movie

rocketraider

Get past the tawdry events of Chappaquiddick and this is a good car-spotting movie. Includes a couple of 50s-era Ford and International fire and emergency vehicles and a 64 Pontiac combination professional car.

The vehicles seem to be well cast and era correct, moreso than a lot of movie cars.

This is the place I had intended to retire to…….on Chappy. It’s the second house in from the famous “Teddy Kennedy” bridge. Unfortunately……the stars didn’t align, and now I’m in Southern Florida still working. Both the desire to live on Martha’s Vineyard and the car are now gone.

7B54C098-CA81-4303-B6D3-A5D4D872DD3A.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

This is the place I had intended to retire to…….on Chappy. It’s the second house in from the famous “Teddy Kennedy” bridge. Unfortunately……the stars didn’t align, and now I’m in Southern Florida still working. Both the desire to live on Martha’s Vineyard and the car are now gone.

7B54C098-CA81-4303-B6D3-A5D4D872DD3A.png

Way too crowded in high season but, it does seem like a place where one could actually use a prewar car daily a good part of the year.  I cannot imagine being confined to the realitive small area of MV though, going around the same roads would get old I think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Way too crowded in high season but, it does seem like a place where one could actually use a prewar car daily a good part of the year.  I cannot imagine being confined to the realitive small area of MV though, going around the same roads would get old I think.

I felt isolated in Hawaii!! I guess MV is closer to the mainland though. 

I've been to MV a hundred times for work.   I don't want to publicly post how I feel about it.  But will say two things:

1.   In the winter you feel like you are in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and nothing is open.

2.  In the summer everything is open but there are so many people you aren't getting in anyways.

• Haha 3

Yeah, but Eddie should have kept the car, a nice one...

Kerry, another MV issue is ridicules ferry timing if you try to bring your car.  Miss that ferry with your prepaid, 6 mos. Prior reservation and you are SOL.  

I am pretty well travelled and have been all over New England, but never to Marthas Vineyard. May get there one day.

MD's Eastern shore used to be like that. Summer brought in a million visitors. Winter was a ghost town. Now the only difference is that its a bit colder in the winter. Population just about seems the same.

Steve, property was 75 acres with 1890 feet of ocean frontage. 98 percent was in conservation, so you couldn’t even add a ten by ten shed. So it was actually affordable for me back then. Not today, even if divided by ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I felt isolated in Hawaii!! I guess MV is closer to the mainland though. 

If you don't have a Ferry reservation you might as well be in Antarctica.

Oahu is 600 Square miles and its not the big island plus it has a real city on it.    MV is 87 Square miles and is mostly populated by deer and  ticks except for 4 months in the summer where it is so crowded people are standing on top of each other.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

That was apparently a good movie that didn't get much promotion. Some people speculate why that is. I haven't seen it yet, though; I tend not to enjoy reenactments of real life tragedies in movies, unless it's like the OK Corral shootout or something.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesR said:

That was apparently a good movie that didn't get much promotion. Some people speculate why that is. I haven't seen it yet, though; I tend not to enjoy reenactments of real life tragedies in movies, unless it's like the OK Corral shootout or something.

Having known Teddy for about 15 years........I have NO desire to see the movie. 

• Haha 2

I was raised in a rural area but have lived all over (predominantly moderate dense suburban). We have kept a place in a rural area and as for the old car hobby.....lots of other car lovers as well as a slower pace, no box stores or chain restaurants. Very conducive to putting miles on your classic on the country roads. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Having known Teddy for about 15 years........I have NO desire to see the movie. 

I recently watched a video by a well known lawyer who claimed that certain members of the Kennedy clan wanted nothing more to do with him after he recently served as council for a certain controversial political figure. He found that interesting, since - way back when - he served as council for another controversial political figure named Teddy K. after an incident called "Chappaquiddick." Apparently they'd forgotten about that. 🤨

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I was raised in a rural area but have lived all over (predominantly moderate dense suburban). We have kept a place in a rural area and as for the old car hobby.....lots of other car lovers as well as a slower pace, no box stores or chain restaurants. Very conducive to putting miles on your classic on the country roads. 

The latter sounds like my neighborhood! Its small, relatively quiet I can go 10 miles north or south to hit the walmart. We have a nice mexican restaurant in town to compliment the 5 pizza joints. Down the road is a good BBQ, not carolina quality but good enough for MD.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

I recently watched a video by a well known lawyer who claimed that certain members of the Kennedy clan wanted nothing more to do with him after he recently served as council for a certain controversial political figure. He found that interesting, since - way back when - he served as council for another controversial political figure named Teddy K. after an incident called "Chappaquiddick." Apparently they'd forgotten about that. 🤨

End titles alluded to that. 

Looked thru them to see if there was any mention of an AACA Region or local car club that might have gotten credit for supplying cars. Three names mentioned under "Picture Cars", no groups.

Movie is on Starz this month but every showing is in overnight hours so may be hard to catch.