1941 Plymouth Desoto - $15,000

I don't know what to say about this ad. The car looks nice, and the price would be in the ball park if it was in good mechanical condition. I wonder how this person came to own it. 

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/carson-city-1941-plymouth-desoto/7608583076.html

I have a 1941 Plymouth Desoto for sale. All original engine and transmission in Desoto blue paint. Has all trim pieces still on the vehicle. Engine needs to be rebuilt due to no compression for cylinders 2,3, and 6 but it is the original straight 6. Asking 15,000 firm this is a rare car with suicide doors. Will make a great project for the right person. I will not accept a check for this car. (775) 434-9849

100N0N_h42NcH8Le2L_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00505_2XrpoU09YNf_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01717_eRPv0B323XF_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00H0H_3gGXSF7tsMG_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

“Plymouth DeSoto”? Asks The Little Red Hen.

Further proof that Mopar nomenclature can be confusing. I remember in the 90's they had a Caravan and a Carry Van. Two very different vehicles. 

Was DeSoto a Chrysler model in the end or was it separate until it went away?   

It was separate from the beginning, through to the end, as I recall. It's just that there's a lot of guys who simply never knew of them. As a result, they assume that they were a sub-model. The real challenge is sorting out when Imperials were Imperials and when they were Chrysler Imperials.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Was DeSoto a Chrysler model in the end or was it separate until it went away?   

Excerpted from The Plymouth and DeSoto Story by Don Butler, page 228, describing the 1959 model year developments:

"The DeSoto Division, which borrowed production space from other Chrysler divisions during the first eight yeas of its existence and had its own exclusive headquarters in Detroit for the next 22 years, was again housed with someone else.  This time its main management and production operation were with the Chrysler car division.  All of this year's models but the Firesweep line, which always was assembled by the Dodge Division, were built alongside Chrysler cars in that divisions Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit.  DeSoto continued in that relationship as long as it functioned as a domestic entity of Chrysler."

Pity poor DeSoto, superfluous almost from its birth by the Dodge purchase.  Walter Chrysler was building his version of the 'Sloan Ladder' "A Car for Every Purse and Purpose.", DeSoto was created to fulfill the price segment between the low-priced Plymouths and the middle and luxury segment Chryslers.  Problem was, Dodge already had models that covered the $845-885 spread DeSoto was to occupy as well as more expensive models.  Over the next few years, things got sorted out where Dodge and DeSoto swapped places, with Dodge being the step-up from a Plymouth, DeSoto a somewhat bargain-priced Chrysler for most of its existence.   

To develop complete market coverage by dual franchises, Plymouth was dualled with Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler dealerships, also mimicking GM operations such as Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, Pontiac-Buick, etc.  Because Dodge had existed as an independent make for fourteen years before the Chrysler purchase, its dealer network was fully developed.   As such, not all Dodge dealers opted to take a Plymouth franchise as well.   It was not unusual to find a stand-alone Dodge dealership in towns with either a Plymouth-DeSoto or Chrysler-Plymouth dealership as well. 

By the late 1950's with buyer interest diminishing in medium-priced cars while compact rose, the Dodge Division fielding increasing fancy, upscale models and Chrysler Division coveting the volume to be had by developing what would become the lowest-priced Newport, DeSoto was doomed ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looks like some chrome trim is missing on the nose.  The compression issue could be stuck valves from sitting.  Price seems “optimistic” at best.  I wonder if the seller is not familiar with the Chrysler branding structure.