Rear seat armrest in a 63?

riviadrian

When and if you get the arm rest for the 63 make sure none of the movements are frozen. That is where I am with an upholstered leather center arm rest that has a movement frozen

im sure I can free up the frozen arm. I’ve been told a minor mod has to happen to the center space on the back seat.

Turbinator

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

That is where I am with an upholstered leather center arm rest that has a movement frozen

im sure I can free up the frozen arm.

I had to purchase three 1965 shifters. One was frozen and couldn't free up the pushrod no matter what. Couldn't use a torch on the chrome. The other was missing the knob and push button. I had a spare knob but the push button! Both shifters rendered useless. Thankfully someone sent a good one.

That really blows when someone sells you an unusable part! It's happened to me several times. I recently purchased a '65 shift indicator lens from a fellow forum member that was described "will clean up to show car quality" which arrived w a very obvious cigarette burn on its face. I like to retain some faith in mankind, so I don't automatically think it's intentional, maybe just that some have different views of perfection.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 1:17 AM, XframeFX said:

ankfully someone sent a good one.

XFrame, it’s a shame a used parts seller would send less than merchantable parts. It is a desperate individual that sends an item of no value.

There have been instances when I bought an entire assembly and paid shipping for just a piece I needed from the assembly. Sometimes it just goes that way.

Turbinator

On 4/9/2023 at 5:43 PM, riviadrian said:

I recently acquired a rear seat armrest from a 65 that I'd like to install in my 63 Riviera.  Will this attach easily, or will there be some fab work involved? 

Thanks, 

Adrian

I'm not sure but I imagine you will have to remove the rear seat and the armrest will replace the metal divider panel in the center.

DSCF7293.JPG

On 4/9/2023 at 5:43 PM, riviadrian said:

I recently acquired a rear seat armrest from a 65 that I'd like to install in my 63 Riviera.  Will this attach easily, or will there be some fab work involved? 

Thanks, 

Adrian

The `63 seat frame was never designed to accept the lift up armrest option. The seat frame in a `64 and `65 differs in that regard to the `63. It is possible to install the lift up armrest in a `63 but it involves some drilling the seat frame, etc...it`s not just a matter of removing the present filler panel and bolting in the lift up armrest.

Tom Mooney

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I'm not sure but I imagine you will have to remove the rear seat and the armrest will replace the metal divider panel in the center.

DSCF7293.JPG

To put one in a 63 you will have do do some fabrication on the seat frame. The seat frame was not set up to accept a center armrest as these were not an option in 63 like they were in 64 and 65. You could opt to get a seat bottom from a 64 or 65. Hopefully, you got all of the necessary pieces. You will need to replace the divider between the seat bottoms with one for an armrest. You will also need to replace the filler panel underneath the speaker. The filler panel for a center armrest is shorter than the one you have now.

Bill

63 Back Seat.jpg

IMG_1849 (1).JPG

IMG_1852 (1).JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 4:50 PM, Riviera63 said:

To put one in a 63 you will have do do some fabrication on the seat frame. The seat frame was not set up to accept a center armrest as these were not an option in 63 like they were in 64 and 65. You could opt to get a seat bottom from a 64 or 65. Hopefully, you got all of the necessary pieces. You will need to replace the divider between the seat bottoms with one for an armrest. You will also need to replace the filler panel underneath the speaker. The filler panel for a center armrest is shorter than the one you have now.

Bill

63 Back Seat.jpg

IMG_1849 (1).JPG

IMG_1852 (1).JPG

Bill, Can you modify the original plate under the speaker in a 63 to fit?

And, if, so, do you cut from the bottom or the top of the plate.? Ideally the plate from a 64 or 65 would be peachy. However I’m not going to look for one.

I have the “ ramp” style plate and the other metal piece with “ two feet” that is upholstered.

Thank you

• Like 1