n Un-none Vacuum tank?

Oldschoolantiqueauto

I first thought got stuck with this un-none vacuum tank. But the more I look at it the more I like it. Some one was very proud of this tank. There name,& the rest of info was pressed into the metal across the entire front of the tank. What is it for & if it can be identified, what car was it on?

102_0577.JPG.ba83a77614e40fdf6827a7b150c5f0f4.JPG

102_0574.JPG

102_0578.JPG

102_0581.JPG

102_0579.JPG

The only vacuum  tanks (fuel pumps) I have worked with were the much more common Stewart Warner ones. However, a very good friend has one of these on his (1925 I think?)  Chevrolet truck. I have heard him say it works very nicely. He drives the truck quite a lot!

12 hours ago, sagefinds said:

To answer your other question,it gets vacuum from the intake manifold,sucks gas out of the gas tank and gravity feeds it to the carb.

WOW, I have never heard of that type of fuel pump system, did it work very well? What era was that type of fuel delivery system used?

4 minutes ago, Oldschoolantiqueauto said:

WOW, I have never heard of that type of fuel pump system, did it work very well? What era was that type of fuel delivery system used?

The vacuum tank was "old school," @Oldschoolantiqueauto and was used between the eras of gravity (plus pressurized tank for higher-end cars) and the mechanical pumps running off camshafts, generally 1915-1930.  Most had a cylindrical shape and were mounted vertically on the firewall.  Fuel flows by gravity from the reservoir portion to the updraft carb.  My experience is that they are reliable if you disassemble and clean them every 15 years or so, especially if you're using ethanol-laced gasoline.  They have their limitations, such as long uphill-grade runs will use up what's in the reservoir while no new fuel is being pumped because manifold vacuum is so low.  To compensate, keep throttle below halfway for long grades.  So for 1910s and 1920s cars, the driver must drive by the Motometer and the vacuum tank.  And if you're putting the vehicle away for a winter's nap, shut off the valve which controls the flow of fuel from the vac tank to the updraft carb and let the carb run out of gas--to prevent gasoline evaporating from the vented carb and leaving deposits.  See any Dyke's manual for much more information on the care and feeding of vacuum tanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grimy said:

The vacuum tank was "old school," @Oldschoolantiqueauto and was used between the eras of gravity (plus pressurized tank for higher-end cars) and the mechanical pumps running off camshafts, generally 1915-1930.  Most had a cylindrical shape and were mounted vertically on the firewall.  Fuel flows by gravity from the reservoir portion to the updraft carb.  My experience is that they are reliable if you disassemble and clean them every 15 years or so, especially if you're using ethanol-laced gasoline.  They have their limitations, such as long uphill-grade runs will use up what's in the reservoir while no new fuel is being pumped because manifold vacuum is so low.  To compensate, keep throttle below halfway for long grades.  So for 1910s and 1920s cars, the driver must drive by the Motometer and the vacuum tank.  And if you're putting the vehicle away for a winter's nap, shut off the valve which controls the flow of fuel from the vac tank to the updraft carb and let the carb run out of gas--to prevent gasoline evaporating from the vented carb and leaving deposits.  See any Dyke's manual for much more information on the care and feeding of vacuum tanks.

So this fuel delivery system was like everything else back in the early automotive era, with constant monitoring & adjusting for the conditions, it worked, LOL. 

Would this system also use a gasoline auxiliary tank? I also was given this gas auxiliary tank. This tank has a different company name, but they both are from New York. Both have the name & info pressed in the metal. Could this tank be part of the vacuum pump system?

102_0593.JPG

102_0589.JPG

102_0591.JPG

102_0592.JPG

13 hours ago, sagefinds said:

Many Chevrolets used that teens into the 20's if memory serves. I don't know if other makes used it or not.

Me being a Chevy guy, that info makes me like it even more. I will be doing more research on this vacuum tank. I didn't expect this tank to be back into the teens & 20s. I was guessing it to be something from the late 1940s/50s?

11 minutes ago, Oldschoolantiqueauto said:

So this fuel delivery system was like everything else back in the early automotive era, with constant monitoring & adjusting for the conditions, it worked, LOL. 

Would this system also use a gasoline auxiliary tank? I also was given this gas auxiliary tank. This tank has a different company name, but they both are from New York. Both have the name & info pressed in the metal. Could this tank be part of the vacuum pump system?

102_0593.JPG

102_0589.JPG

102_0591.JPG

102_0592.JPG

Like Grimy says,the secret to these is clean fuel. On this small gas tank,there is nothing in my memory bank at all on it,never with a vacuum tank. It looks heavy duty with extra large threaded outlets. Some large diesel tractors have a pony motor that you start up to turn the high compression diesel motor over. The pony motor would be gasoline fired and would take a small,separate tank on this order. As soon as the big motor started the little guy would be shut down. Hopefully it would start.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the G&G other than to know it was used on 4-cyl Chevs, so don't know if it is complete.  Any vacuum tank needs a supply of vacuum from the intake manifold and a fuel line from the tank and a fuel line to the carb.  I believe that @old car fan is our resident expert on vacuum tanks, and rebuilds them for fun and profit.  You can use the search function to find many posts in the forums addressing these units in general, including posts which have attached scans of Dyke's manual pages which explain their operation thoroughly.

1 hour ago, Oldschoolantiqueauto said:

Here's a generic diagram of it in theory in case you'd like to save it for future. 

OIP.QV1C0xcSz0sILcR0CrU87AHaIP?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Here's a generic diagram of it in theory in case you'd like to save it for future. 

OIP.QV1C0xcSz0sILcR0CrU87AHaIP?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

I'm not familiar with the G&G other than to know it was used on 4-cyl Chevs, so don't know if it is complete.  Any vacuum tank needs a supply of vacuum from the intake manifold and a fuel line from the tank and a fuel line to the carb.  I believe that @old car fan is our resident expert on vacuum tanks, and rebuilds them for fun and profit.  You can use the search function to find many posts in the forums addressing these units in general, including posts which have attached scans of Dyke's manual pages which explain their operation thoroughly.

Thank you for the leed, I'll see if I can get more info from old car fan on this vacuum tank.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:39 PM, Oldschoolantiqueauto said:

Thank you for the leed, I'll see if I can get more info from old car fan on this vacuum tank.

I can walk  you through  the Stewart tanks.We have several  GG tanks, to be honest, never opened one up.Most folks  with the early  Chevrolet, switch  to the small  Stewart  tank. Seldom do people  ask about one.Most are hanging on  Walls.