Degreasing a 100 year old frame.

What is your go to method for cleaning antique grease and road grime off of the  chassis and parts? I've thought of using my pressure washer, but haven't yet for fear of relocating this grime up into the interior of the car, plus in not sure some of the wood would hold up. 

20230311_210942.jpg

20230207_164536.jpg

Since the car is assembled, I use a plastic scraper to rid of the heavy crud. Also some sharpened popsicle sticks help for the tighter areas.

image.png.95f2f64fbf2a23473a9f0c961ac8c89c.png

Then use rags (typically old clothes that I cut up) wetted with naphtha while wearing nitrile gloves. Naphtha will not attack paint or rubber. The only time I use a pressure washer is on parts fully disassembled, other wise all the crud gets push past seals into the bearings and housings. 3000 psi water will also find its way into anything.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, old car fan said:

So is driving weather, hurry.

I'll have it functional again for this year, but I really want to make sure I don't rush things so I can get it as best as I can for it's 100th birthday party next season. Thays the main goal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The best way of cleaning the chassis is to have it sand blasted, of cause this is only practical is the car is in pieces., which I have done with two full ground up restorations I've recently cleaned the chassis on my President Victoria, by using degreaser a scrapper and a wood chisel, this of cause takes time. Incidental, the brake rods are no longer red.

22-22-victoria 615.jpg

22-22-victoria 618.jpg