1952 New Yorker hardtop in suburban Detroit

Very nice car. This is one of those instances were the car would look better without the visor. From the front it looks OK but from the side it very much looks like an add on. Other than that it really looks good. 

How do they make the head light lenses look silver like that? 

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

Very nice car.  SNIP 

How do they make the head light lenses look silver like that? 

SNIP 

The headlights have on them aftermarket "half shields".   That accessory has been on the market since at least the 1950s through today.   Their thought in use is that rain and particularly snow is not hit by the upper beam portion and thus it is easier to see for driving in those conditions.   If you've driven in heavy snow you know what this is about.

• Like 1

My eye is troubled by the fact that the horizontal lines created by the side molding and the stainless embellishment behind the front wheel aren't parallel. It probably sounds too fussy of me, but my eye goes there instantly. Does that bother any of you guys? Otherwise, it's a beauty.

13 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

My eye is troubled by the fact that the horizontal lines created by the side molding and the stainless embellishment behind the front wheel aren't parallel. It probably sounds too fussy of me, but my eye goes there instantly. Does that bother any of you guys? Otherwise, it's a beauty.

It's not suppose to be that way.  Not sure if it's adjustable at all.  The other side,  though not a full on shot,  it appears to be straight. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

My eye is troubled by the fact that the horizontal lines created by the side molding and the stainless embellishment behind the front

Your eyes maybe troubled but there's nothing wrong with your eyesight. I have a hard time believing the car left the factory like that. Now that you mentioned it I keep looking at it also. 

• Haha 1

That lower front fender trim piece is an add-on from some other vehicle, not an original nor optional piece for 1952.     No other '52 New Yorkers appear to have it, straight or crooked.

image.jpeg.168a0a52462f291137e98c52bba94b3e.jpeg

It may be a piece off a '54 model:

1954 Chrysler New Yorker DeLuxe Stock Photo - AlamyDeluxe Dreamboat - 1954 Chrysler New Yorker | Hemmings

Also, that sun visor tends to hide the the two-piece, chrome-trimmed, flat glass windshield which I think is an attractive part of the design.

Currently available on Autotrader for $17,000.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1952/chrysler/new_yorker/101801244

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 3