31 Ford striping

TomTIII

32 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Post that on the FORD BARN forum, there are generations of "FORD MODEL A EXPERTS" there. Don't let them bother you with too many fine details. 

As long as they respond with 'you need to buy the manual' !!

• Like 1

This is what my older judging standards book says for a 1931 Fordor Deluxe 2 W & S/W Deluxe and Town Sedan. If you are going for an original color combo these are the options. Models 170-B, 160-B,C

LOWER BODY                      UPPER BODY, BELT MOULDING ,REVEALS       STRIPE

Ford Maroon                                Black                                                               Vermillon

Brewster Green medium             Black                                                               Apple green

Chicle Drab                                   Copra Drab                                                    Straw

Kewanee Green                             Elkpoint green                                               Apple green

Black                                              Black                                                              Apple Green                                              

For the 1931 Standard Fordor and standard S/W sedan Models 165-C,D  160-A

LOWER BODY                                 UPPER BODY, BELT, REVEALS                    STRIPE  

Thorne Brown                                         Thorn Brown                                            Straw

Lombard Blue                                          Black                                                        Hessian Blue

Chicle Drab                                             Copra Drab                                             Straw

Kewanee Green                                      Elkpoint Green                                        Apple Green

Black                                                       Black                                                       Apple Green  

Standard color for wheels is black. If they are painted they match the stripe color.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

As long as they respond with 'you need to buy the manual' !!

The most annoying reply on the Ford Barn, glad you noticed that too. After you shell out the cash some expert will visit the Henry Ford and find some blueprint or file contradicting everything that was previous Gospel. They also are shocked for some reason that  Model A's become Hot Rods and Street Rods. 

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The most annoying reply on the Ford Barn, glad you noticed that too. After you shell out the cash some expert will visit the Henry Ford and find some blueprint or file contradicting everything that was previous Gospel. They also are shocked for some reason that  Model A's become Hot Rods and Street Rods. 

I have wanted an A for years, and maybe someday I will own one. I used to go on that forum frequently. I think there are a lot of great guys on there, and vast amounts of knowledge. But it always irritated me when someone asks a simple question on a colour, standard, bolt pattern etc. and the first response is 'you need to get the manual'. Almost like its the initiation into an exclusive ford club and the secret handshake. All of the other forums I go on guys are happy and more than willing to share their knowledge.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, TomTIII said:

Looking for info re Ford A striping scheme ie: does anyone have reference or know where to find the scheme for Ford A pinstripe for closed car (my 31 SW sedan)??

thanks

You didn't say whether it's a Deluxe or Standard, so here's both - same as what jpage posted with a little update on stripe colors.

1931 FORDOR, Standard and Standard S/W (165-C,D, 160-A)

1931 FORDOR, De Luxe 2W (170-B Dlx); S/W Town Sedan (160-B) and S/W De Luxe (160-C)

On 3/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, 1937hd45 said:

On 3/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, TAKerry said:

I have wanted an A for years, and maybe someday I will own one. I used to go on that forum frequently. I think there are a lot of great guys on there, and vast amounts of knowledge. But it always irritated me when someone asks a simple question on a colour, standard, bolt pattern etc. and the first response is 'you need to get the manual'. Almost like its the initiation into an exclusive ford club and the secret handshake. All of the other forums I go on guys are happy and more than willing to share their knowledge.

Maybe so, but the Model A arguably is the most documented antique car.  That documentation is contained in "the manual" (actually multiple manuals).  Like this forum, there are some knowledgeable folks on FordBarn and some that don't know a Model A from a hole in the ground.  Problem is, you can't always tell which is which so the best source for answers to authenticity questions is "the manual."  Research is ongoing so the documentation gets revised, which helps increase the authenticity of restorations.  That seems to be a goal around here as well.  And yeah, they don't like hot rods - again, those aren't real popular here either.

I understand and cannot completely disagree with you. I know that depending on when those cars rolled down the line there were changes made. I also know that the books are quite expensive (but what isnt in the car hobby). From an outsiders viewpoint it seems like even some simple questions are avoided. It comes off like "I paid the money to buy my manual, you need to pony up and buy your own". I do think if you own one of these, or any old car one should buy all of the available books they can. I have both fisher body manuals, and service manuals for my cars and they are invaluable at times. But once in awhile some personal knowledge is useful.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, TAKerry said:

I understand and cannot completely disagree with you. I know that depending on when those cars rolled down the line there were changes made. I also know that the books are quite expensive (but what isnt in the car hobby). From an outsiders viewpoint it seems like even some simple questions are avoided. It comes off like "I paid the money to buy my manual, you need to pony up and buy your own". I do think if you own one of these, or any old car one should buy all of the available books they can. I have both fisher body manuals, and service manuals for my cars and they are invaluable at times. But once in awhile some personal knowledge is useful.

I also understand and cannot completely disagree with you.  Certainly, personal knowledge is useful.  But those simple questions tend to get asked repeatedly and it's not difficult to search the forum for the answers.  I think sometimes posters just aren't willing to take the time to answer them again and again.  That's not a justification but I can understand the frustration.  This FordBarn thread may be enlightening - seems most posters don't have the above-bolded attitude.  My opinion is post #2:

Telling someone to check the Judging Standards

Changes to the Model A were made constantly throughout the 4+ years production.  Additionally, there were 30+ domestic assembly plants and a number of foreign ones, and they didn't always build the cars exactly according to Henry & Co dictates.  Identifying those variations is why research and documentation updates are ongoing.  This thread lists just a few of the available books:

which book should I read?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AHa said:

It sounds like the restoration of a Model A Ford comes down to what day of the week it was produced in what plant in what year.

Don't forget to consider what the workers had for lunch that day, those minute details are the things that get discussed on The Ford Barn. 

8 hours ago, AHa said:

It sounds like the restoration of a Model A Ford comes down to what day of the week it was produced in what plant in what year.

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Don't forget to consider what the workers had for lunch that day, those minute details are the things that get discussed on The Ford Barn. 

Yeah, pretty much if one is into fine point judging.  I've never messed much with other makes but I do know some have standards by which they are competitively judged.  Like I said, the Model A is arguably the most documented antique car.  That results in the judging standards and the competition getting down to things like whether a car has the correct finish on the bolts.  Those "minute details" may not matter to owners who just want to get/keep their cars running, drivable and more-or-less authentic.  Smartassery notwithstanding, it's incorrect to imply those more generic topics are not discussed.

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I got lost on the Ford Barn link. I see nothing has changed over there since the last time I checked it. 

Whatever  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I may be out of line as well as I have not been on there for at least a year now.

*sigh*  I give up