For Sale: 1965 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN, 287ci V8, Twin Stick O/D, - St Joseph, MO - $29,500 - Not Mine

For Sale: 1965 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN, 287ci V8, Twin Stick O/D, - St Joseph, MO - $29,500

1965 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Older restoration in very nice condition. 287 V8 engine with twin stick overdrive 4 speed transmission. Factory power disc brakes, dual reclining bucket seats, working am radio with rear speaker. New battery, oil change and service, complete brake system gone thru. Everything works. 5 reproduction tires, reproduction shocks, etc. would cost a fortune to reproduce the restoration on this car today. Rust-free, no-hit body and undercarriage. Pictures speak for themselves. Located in St Joseph, MO. Runs and drives excellent. Last year as Rambler, only year for twin stick.

Copy and paste in your email: 23ea7189abdf3fbda355367119c33ab4@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1965 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN.

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO a.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO b.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO c.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO d.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO e.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO f.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO g.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO h.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO ha.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO i.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO j.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO k.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO l.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO m.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO n.jpg

'65 AMC RAMBLER MARLIN MO o.jpg

• Like 3

Ooohh, another very nice Marlin! Thanks for posting. Love the color!

If you happen to see a nice '67 Marlin, please post it, too. I absolutely love those. Everything is right on the '67 model, IMO. There's a voice in the back of my head trying to convince me to sell all my cars and buy a '67 Marlin. I'm kind of kidding, but not entirely.

I guess I should probably drive one first, though...or even ride in one as a passenger. 😄😄

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JamesR said:

Ooohh, another very nice Marlin! Thanks for posting. Love the color!

If you happen to see a nice '67 Marlin, please post it, too. I absolutely love those. Everything is right on the '67 model, IMO. There's a voice in the back of my head trying to convince me to sell all my cars and buy a '67 Marlin. I'm kind of kidding, but not entirely.

I guess I should probably drive one first, though...or even ride in one as a passenger. 😄😄

JamesR:

I have been on the lookout for a '67 Marlin to post here but only one really rough, ratty example has shown up on Craigslist in the last few years.  At only 2,545 cars, they're scare and likely have a low survival rate.  But, I agree, the 1967 Marlin based on the 118" wb Ambassador platform was by far the best styled, most attractive of the three-year model run.  The other overlooked AMC is the '67 Ambassador DPL convertible, of which only 1,260 were built, though a few of those do occasionally turn-up for sale.

Steve

• Like 2

I'm a big mid 60's Chrysler products fan but to me the Marlin is much more attractive than the Dodge Charger. This particular Marlin is beautiful and should make whoever owns it very proud. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

JamesR:

I have been on the lookout for a '67 Marlin to post here...At only 2,545 cars, they're scare and likely have a low survival rate. 

Wow, I knew the production of the '67 was low, but I didn't realize it was that low. Thanks for the education. Steve. I've seen a couple of presentable examples ('67) for sale within the last year, so I should consider myself lucky. I'm guessing you're absolutely correct on the relatively low survival rate of the '67 Marlin. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true for all three years of Marlin. From what I can tell, they produced three times as many Marlins as they did my other favorite uniquely styled coupe of the 1960's - the Studebaker Avanti - yet I see many multiples of Avantis go up for sale nowadays as I do Marlins. I suspect that the Avanti survival rate is pretty high, though... probably in the same category as most Corvettes and first generation Thunderbirds.

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

Wow, I knew the production of the '67 was low, but I didn't realize it was that low. Thanks for the education. Steve. I've seen a couple of presentable examples ('67) for sale within the last year, so I should consider myself lucky. I'm guessing you're absolutely correct on the relatively low survival rate of the '67 Marlin. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true for all three years of Marlin. From what I can tell, they produced three times as many Marlins as they did my other favorite uniquely styled coupe of the 1960's - the Studebaker Avanti - yet I see many multiples of Avantis go up for sale nowadays as I do Marlins. I suspect that the Avanti survival rate is pretty high, though... probably in the same category as most Corvettes and first generation Thunderbirds.

JamesR:

Survival rates generally track relative to the initial production numbers with the wild card being specific models that resonate with car enthusiasts for whatever reason.   The Studebaker Avanti, Corvettes and first-generation Thunderbirds you cite are perfect examples; in spite of relatively low production numbers, their survival rates are extremely high. 

Conversely, the Rambler/AMC Marlins, being simply a fastback sport coupe version of the standard Classic or Ambassador lines was a niche model at best.  AMC, whose reputation at the time was still no-nonsense economical transportation, was the last company most of the sport coupe buying public would look to for their purchase choice.   The GM and Ford brand loyal scoffed at the prospect of a Marlin; Mopar guys turned to a Barracuda or Charger.  That left the AMC loyalists as the primary customers...and they were few and far between.  Even within AMC customers, the Classic 770-H or Ambassador 990-H hardtops provided all the Marlins did except the unique fastback styling.   Springing for buckets and console in the 770-H or 990-H, especially the latter; have a sporty coupe to enjoy and possibly a better trade-in offers in a couple years.   Marlin for 1965: 10,327; 1966: 4,547; 1967: 2,545. 

Even Ambassador hardtop buyers voted with their wallets in 1967: 990: 6,140; DPL: 12,552...both which base-priced higher than the Marlin!   

Still, if you can find a well-equipped '67 Marlin in great condition with good colors and realistic price, buy it!  It's unlikely you'll find another. 

Steve

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Didn't the Avanti's continue production in Mexico? Could be why there is more of them. I suspect the SBC would be the clue to those.

Jack M:

Leo Newman and Nate Altman, who had operated a major South Bend Studebaker dealership, bought the dies, tools, manufacturing and promotion rights and a factory building from Studebaker Corporation to continue manufacturing the Avanti beginning with a 1965 model, named Avanti II.  The powertrain was largely the same as the concurrent Corvette.   Always a hand-crafted custom order, the low production numbers continued in South Bend and later an Ohio location through in the early 1990's under the aegis of subsequent owners.   When the original Avanti II styling configuration had become passe, an updated version was applied to a reskin of F-Body Camaros until that platform ceased production.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1