transmission

AHa

14 hours ago, AHa said:

Here is a second picture. There is a number, L   4850, stamped in the aluminum case. The Harley dealer told me it didn't mean anything.

IMG_0138.jpg

8 hours ago, Craig Gillingham said:

Definitely Harley, there will be a serial number stamped in the alloy base part, on a raised surface that will tell you exactly what year it is.

Sounds like this Harley dealer doesn't know anything about the early stuff, so naturally it doesn't mean anything. To this dealer, that is. But if Harley-Davidson went to the trouble to stamp or cast a number into a component, it obviously means something. 

39 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Sounds like this Harley dealer doesn't know anything about the early stuff, so naturally it doesn't mean anything. To this dealer, that is. But if Harley-Davidson went to the trouble to stamp or cast a number into a component, it obviously means something. 

An L prefix would be 1923, M 1924, etc. In 1925 they switched to the year as a prefix 25-.... . This example has a J, so is 1921. The way to decipher it is in the Harley literature, but I've no idea where I would find it now.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• Like 1