1942 Super Convertible (per ad) $20,000

Hood length looks like a Super to me, but I don't know for sure.  Also not sure is that a 46 grille or 1942.  I used to know better, but don't keep up.   Either way, I am curious what the production could have been for a 1942 Buick convertible, given it's specific use versus a 4 door sedan in that year.  

I drove six hours each way to go look at that car about 3 years ago, when it was advertised as a 1942 Roadmaster convertible. Got there, opened the hood, and realized it was a model 56-C (Super convertible). I was so disgusted that I turned around and left. I did tell them it was a Super not a Roadmaster, and thanked them for wasting my time. I assumed it was a '42 and didn't check that very carefully after getting angry that they didn't know what they had. You know what happens when you assume....

P.S.: If you go to the Facebook listing and look at the last photo, there is a 1942 grille on the car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Even though the car is a Super and not a Roadmaster, production would still be quite small and even a 42 Super convertible has to of interest as a project car to restore.  

A lot of us, including me, have Roadmaster bias, but this might make restoration a bit easier given its 248.  I believe there is still compound carbs on most 42 Buicks. 

You get 1st year for that senior body style, in a convertible no less.  I wonder why this car remains unsold.  Flaky seller maybe?  Price?  

On 2/26/2023 at 8:59 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Even though the car is a Super and not a Roadmaster, production would still be quite small and even a 42 Super convertible has to of interest as a project car to restore.  

A lot of us, including me, have Roadmaster bias, but this might make restoration a bit easier given its 248.  I believe there is still compound carbs on most 42 Buicks. 

You get 1st year for that senior body style, in a convertible no less.  I wonder why this car remains unsold.  Flaky seller maybe?  Price?  

$20K is strong money, Hagerty has a #4 Super at $14K by comparison, a Roadmaster is $27K 

On 2/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, Pete Phillips said:

I drove six hours each way to go look at that car about 3 years ago, when it was advertised as a 1942 Roadmaster convertible. Got there, opened the hood, and realized it was a model 56-C (Super convertible). I was so disgusted that I turned around and left. I did tell them it was a Super not a Roadmaster, and thanked them for wasting my time. I assumed it was a '42 and didn't check that very carefully after getting angry that they didn't know what they had. You know what happens when you assume....

P.S.: If you go to the Facebook listing and look at the last photo, there is a 1942 grille on the car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Pete, we sure have all been there going to see a car that was nothing close to what it was advertised or promised to be.