1915 Dodge Brothers Touring Car - $12,500

These have  good club support. It would depend on the back DMV fees...so easy to avoid! 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/van-nuys-1915-dodge-brothers-touring-car/7589549833.html

This is an early Dodge Brothers Touring model, titled as a 1915 but someone more knowledgeable about these cars has suggested that it may be a first year 1914 model. Runs and drives well for a car that is over 100 years old. Very original and unmolested. Long term California car. Title has been lost. There are some back fees due to the DMV. Happy to discuss the best way to obtain new title with a serious buyer. I have some spare parts and an extra set of tires to go with the car. These are very robust early cars and were used by Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. Trades considered.  email: 2e5b88035dd73be0a738d220ffbcf713@sale.craigslist.org

00a0a_9N125MBBirI_0x20oM_600x450.jpg00i0i_j3aezTZQTz5_0x20oM_600x450.jpg00t0t_kjS3gqaAHNL_0x20oM_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_7NqQDV5Q2ng_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Title has been lost. There are some back fees due to the DMV.

Yeah more misinformation about titles and the DMV.  Any car that qualifies for an Historical Vehicle license plate (and this one qualifies for a Horseless Carriage plate) is exempt from any back fees when registering the car.  

Yeah, I know the lady at the DMV told that you had to pay all kinds of back fees but when you read to her the section of the CA vehicle code that says that you do not, then her argument quickly falls apart. 

When she continue to insist that the vehicle code doesnt apply in this case, then you shout loudly enough for everyone else to hear "Why are you saying that you are not going to follow what is printed in the vehicle code?"  (I always bring my own copy)  This typically brings the manager over very quickly and they retreat into a back room with the clerk returning a few moments later processing your application without the additional fees and no apology or explanation. 

Car collecting, you gotta know your stuff better than them. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, m-mman said:

Yeah more misinformation about titles and the DMV.  Any car that qualifies for an Historical Vehicle license plate (and this one qualifies for a Horseless Carriage plate) is exempt from any back fees when registering the car.  

Yeah, I know the lady at the DMV told that you had to pay all kinds of back fees but when you read to her the section of the CA vehicle code that says that you do not, then her argument quickly falls apart. 

When she continue to insist that the vehicle code doesnt apply in this case, then you shout loudly enough for everyone else to hear "Why are you saying that you are not going to follow what is printed in the vehicle code?"  (I always bring my own copy)  This typically brings the manager over very quickly and they retreat into a back room with the clerk returning a few moments later processing your application without the additional fees and no apology or explanation. 

Car collecting, you gotta know your stuff better than them. 

I've had a DMV Field Office manager tell me "We don't care what's in the Vehicle Code."  I told her, your Operations Manual implements the VC enacted by the legislature and signed by the governor.  I then dialed the number of the DMV Public Inquiries Unit in Sacramento to educate the manager.  That number is 916-657-6560.  That said, I've found it helpful to call the PIU *before* going to the field office to ask for the specific reference (chapter and verse) in the DMV Operations Manual to provide to the clerk.  The clerk keys it in at the window terminal and all is golden.  However, the drama can be fun....

That said, when you apply for Horseless Carriage or Historic Vehicle plates, you must sign a DMV form which says the car will be used *exclusively* for parades, tours, shows--and the VC Sec 5004 (a) is much more liberal-- "primarily" which I define as 51% of the time.  I carry with my registration card and insurance card a copy of that section printed from the DMV website with that portion highlighted.

• Like 4

Early Dodge Bros. vehicles did not have strict year model designations for a few years.  The brothers made running changes at any time as they felt necessary to improve the cars and designated such in their literature as dates of VIN groupings.   So there wasn't really a '14 or '15 or '16 "model year".  Closer to '20 this started settling out and one can fairly closely apply "model year" designations.

The VIN of the car in question is probably best located stamped into the frame crossmember just ahead of the front seat, under the floorboard and on the passenger side of the centerline of the car.  THAT would be interesting to know and may be a determinant of some value.

First car ever in my family was an '18 DB touring on Chicago's South Side.  I have owned a '17 DB  touring with the factory optional "Rex Top" enclosure making it almost a sedan offering.

21 hours ago, suchan said:

Not sure about Teddy 'n the Rough Riders driving them...actually, I am sure.

Maybe Pershing's troops drove them when they were chasing Pancho Villa?

Solid cars, not too bad an asking price.

Same car, just an earlier model (1898) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

Early Dodge Bros. vehicles did not have strict year model designations for a few years.  The brothers made running changes at any time as they felt necessary to improve the cars and designated such in their literature as dates of VIN groupings.   So there wasn't really a '14 or '15 or '16 "model year".  Closer to '20 this started settling out and one can fairly closely apply "model year" designations.

The VIN of the car in question is probably best located stamped into the frame crossmember just ahead of the front seat, under the floorboard and on the passenger side of the centerline of the car.  THAT would be interesting to know and may be a determinant of some value.

First car ever in my family was an '18 DB touring on Chicago's South Side.  I have owned a '17 DB  touring with the factory optional "Rex Top" enclosure making it almost a sedan offering.

The car is a 1915.  Not a 14 and not a 16.

• Like 1

This is called the mural of the life and death of Poncho Villa.  It is located in the Plaza in downtown Chihuahua Mexico.  Pershing used a fleet of 250 Dodge Brothers cars to chase Poncho Villa and his gang in Mexico.  After one shoot out, a young lieutenant, George S. Patton, returned with the bodies of three of Villa's men strapped across the hoods of three Dodge Brothers touring cars.       

mural-life-death-pancho-villa-general-francisco-better-known-as-located-plaza-downtown-chihuahua-43178899.jpg.624e56a6c08b924c9233ff2fea8fe693.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1