1950 Nash Airflyte $6,995

Be still, my heart.  Not the flashiest of colors and no interior shots, but the best year of the bathtubs.  The bright stuff looks present and shiney, and that  rear quarter window looks about 3 feet long!

A modest price, too.  Somebody step up and have fun!

• Like 4

Someone will chime in here and suggest the right terminology, but I don't recall that "Airflyte" is really the operative word. It may be that all of the "bathtubs" used that name. The important distinguishing feature is whether or not the car is a "Statesman" (shorter hood and wheelbase and flathead engine), or "Ambassador" (longer hood and wheelbase and overhead six).

• Like 1

Call me a skeptic but I can't get excited over an ad with just three pictures and a a two word description. Running/not running? Title/no title? 14,000 miles/114,000miles? I can see in the pictures the seats look a little scruffy. Don't read too much into the ad and automatically assume this is a true low mileage gem of a car when the dealer's price is only $6995. There's more going on here than meets the eye since this Nash been available for 20 weeks. Maybe there will be no more pictures and info forthcoming because it would show the car's true condition. Just my 2 cents worth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't recall that "Airflyte" is really the operative word.  It may be that all of the "bathtubs" used that name. 

You're right:  "Airflyte" is just a descriptive name that

Nash used for all models that year.  It referred to the

aerodynamics of the design.  The model names, as you

noted, were Statesman and Ambassador.

From what I've learned, the Statesman was an economy car,

underpowered by today's standards.  Today, without overdrive,

a Statesman is most comfortable at a top speed of 45 m.p.h. and

is not good on big highways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mostly as I recall, but beg to differ - 60-70 mph was comfortable highway speed in our Statesman, back in the day.

In 1950, Nash discontinued their "600" which was the base model, leaving the upscale longer wheelbase Ambassador with the OHV Six,

and this standard base model, shorter wheelbase flathead (somewhat underpowered by today's standards Six).

Despite being a base version, My Dad's baby blue 1950 Statesman 4-door sedan would still comfortably cruise the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway at 60 mph, and held a steady 70 mph without strain when we were in a hurry - and no, unfortunately we didn't have the more desirable OverDrive.

Dad often lamented that the Statesman "Couldn't get out of its own way" from a stop, but once rolling, it wasn't all that terrible and was very comfortable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

My 1954 Statesman with Hydramatic was slow getting up to speed, but very comfortable cruising at 55-60.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Mostly as I recall, but beg to differ - 60-70 mph was comfortable highway speed in our Statesman, back in the day.

4 hours ago, charlespetty said:

My 1954 Statesman with Hydramatic was slow getting up to speed, but very comfortable cruising at 55-60.

I've spoken to two different Statesman owners, and

both said what I repeated:  not good on modern highways.

Charles, did yours have overdrive?  It's good to know that such

limitations aren't always there.  Maybe different rear-end ratios?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This has been making the rounds on the Nash club facebook page. One of the members was able to contact the seller and it sounds like an OK car with some rust in the floor and a worn interior. 

I do like the color but if I was to buy a 1950 Nash I would have to go "full bathtub" and get a 4 door. Call be crazy but I like the way those rear doors break up that long side window😀

• Like 2