Are ‘65 and ‘66 air cleaners the same?

C-Rad

For stock, non-RS, non A. I. R. Rivieras, are there any differences between the ‘65 and ‘66 air cleaners?

I need an air cleaner for my ‘66, and there’s a ‘65 available.  
I also need an air cleaner for my 67 Riviera, but I assume it’s different, since it’s got a 430 instead of a nail-head.

No, the '65 and '66 tall air cleaners are different. The '65 snorkel points to the driver's side and the '66 points to the passenger side. Also, the 66 Riviera would most likely be equipped with a spreadbore rochester unlike the 65 AFB or 4GC so the air cleaner bases are different. On full size cars beside the Riviera and equipped with a 401, you could adapt the '65 cleaner to a '66 by playing games with the locating tabs or if you don't have the AIR system just use it as is; but the snorkel won't be pointed in the "correct" position for '66 if you leave the locating tabs alone, if that matters.

The snorkel was repositioned in '66 to provide clearance for the AIR pump.

Also in '66, there is a tall air cleaner that fits the 4GC, AFB...and a tall air cleaner that fits the Quadrajet spread bore. In addition, '66 also had the chrome pancake style Quadrajet air cleaners installed on the Riv and Wildcat GS cars.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed from pictures that air cleaners have indentations on the bottom, presumably so that they will clear valve covers, and other stuff that is positioned around the carburetor.  That suggests that if I rotate the air cleaner to point the snorkel to the other side, that some of that stuff might obstruct it.

also, I don’t understand the last paragraph of your reply. Are you saying that for standard, non-GS cars, that there were two different carburetors offered, and so two different air cleaners?  
It sounds like the bottom line is that I need to avoid using a 65 air cleaner on a 66 Riviera and just wait to come across a 66 air cleaner.

Edited by C-Rad (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

In addition, '66 also had the pancake style Quadrajet air cleaners installed on the Riv and Wildcat GS cars.

So, I visited several vintage boneyards on last week's trip. Although somewhat picked-over, still a few Nailheads out there.

However, I did not find a single Q-Jet intake from the numerous 1966 Electras and Wildcats. Still only square bore intakes.

Which '66 models came with the rare spreadbore intakes? All '66 Riviera and only '66 Wildcats with the 425? A mid-year intro?

1966 Electra with non-pancake AFB Air Cleaner:

image.png.9dc2cadf605e31ae163f3e7698b9db9e.png

image.png.d1dab0586a060559c53f046b5fcdf668.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, C-Rad said:

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed from pictures that air cleaners have indentations on the bottom, presumably so that they will clear valve covers, and other stuff that is positioned around the carburetor.  That suggests that if I rotate the air cleaner to point the snorkel to the other side, that some of that stuff might obstruct it.

also, I don’t understand the last paragraph of your reply. Are you saying that for standard, non-GS cars, that there were two different carburetors offered, and so two different air cleaners?  
It sounds like the bottom line is that I need to avoid using a 65 air cleaner on a 66 Riviera and just wait to come across a 66 air cleaner.

In `66, if the car was built with a 401 it received the AFB/4GC type, tall air cleaner. If it was built with a 425 it received a similar tall air cleaner (looks like the `65) but with a different bottom to fit the Quadrajet spreadbore carb. The GS models were 425 equipped but were built with a pancake type chrome air cleaner ( looks like a `63-`64) which fit the spreadbore carb.

Are you working on a `66 Riv with a 425? Quadrajet spreadbore carb? If so, that`s a tough air cleaner to find....one year only and only on a 425 equipped full size Buicks.

Tom

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

So, I visited several vintage boneyards on last week's trip. Although somewhat picked-over, still a few Nailheads out there.

However, I did not find a single Q-Jet intake from the numerous 1966 Electras and Wildcats. Still only square bore intakes.

Which '66 models came with the rare spreadbore intakes? All '66 Riviera and only '66 Wildcats with the 425? A mid-year intro?

Any 425 equipped `66 will have the spreadbore carb and manifold. Keep in mind, unless it is a GS Riv or Wildcat the air cleaner will not be a pancake style. In other words, if you find a regular Riv, Wildcat or Electra with a 425 it will have the tall type air cleaner but with a different base to fit the spreadbore carb instead of the AFB.

Tom Mooney

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Any 425 equipped `66 will have the spreadbore carb and manifold.

Ah, must be a 425.

Never mind a spreadbore Air Cleaner. Worry about that later. Want to run a Q-Jet but not a spreadbore intake to be found. Stuck with the AFB!

Same with '65 Riviera seatbelt retractor bases. Had them on the parts counter last week with Dude using an impact wrench to remove the crusty retractors. Witnessed the plastic shatter before my eyes. No deal, so he back-handed the pieces into the garbage at the end of the counter. So rare, I'll never find another pair.

Done with chasing parts. I'm 35 years too late☹️

12 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Ah, must be a 425.

Never mind a spreadbore Air Cleaner. Worry about that later. Want to run a Q-Jet but not a spreadbore intake to be found. Stuck with the AFB!

Same with '65 Riviera seatbelt retractor bases. Had them on the parts counter last week with Dude using an impact wrench to remove the crusty retractors. Witnessed the plastic shatter before my eyes. No deal, so he back-handed the pieces into the garbage at the end of the counter. So rare, I'll never find another pair.

Done with chasing parts. I'm 35 years too late☹️

65 66 67 Buick Riviera Seat Belt Retractor Covers Pair Black 1965 1966 1967 NEW | eBay

1965 Buick Riviera seatbelt retractor driver passenger oem vintage black cover | eBay

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Are you working on a `66 Riv with a 425? Quadrajet spreadbore carb?

Yes, exactly.  

Why is that air cleaner hard to find?  Was it not used on any other years and/or any other Buick models than Riviera?

Is it true that a non-GS Riviera from ‘65 would have had a 401, not a 425, and that the 401’s used a Carter carb (not a Q-Jet)?

Is it also true that the ‘65 air cleaner (designed for a Carter carb) wouldn’t fit on a Q-jet carb?  Or would it fit, but simply point to the driver’s side instead of the passenger side?

ideally, I’d like to reproduce a stock setup (‘66 425 (non-A.I.R, non-RS) w/ Q-jet, and air cleaner pointed to passenger side) and so pass on the ‘65 air cleaner, and wait for a correct ‘66 to come along, but not if I’m going to wait forever.  

The AFB and the Quadrajet have different diameter tops so they need different diameter openings in their air cleaner bases.  The Edlebrock AFB clone has the same sized top as the Q-jet. The AFB has a 4-7/32” air horn whereas the Q-jet has ac5-1/8” air horn. 

Yes, exactly.  

Why is that air cleaner hard to find?  Was it not used on any other years and/or any other Buick models than Riviera?

*** Because it was only installed on the `66 Riviera or any full size, non GS, optionally equipped 425 full size car. Very few non GS full size optionally equipped 425 cars were built in `66.

Is it true that a non-GS Riviera from ‘65 would have had a 401, not a 425, and that the 401’s used a Carter carb (not a Q-Jet)?

*** A non GS `65 Riv would have been equipped with the standard 401 or the single four barrel 425, disregarding, for our purpose, the dual four barrel 425. The 401 cars would have been built with an AFB or 4GC carb, and the 425`s built with the AFB. All used the same air cleaner....as did every other full size Buick built without regard to the engine/carb; no Quadrajet variable. This is why the `65 application air cleaner is more commonly found for sale as compared to the `66 Quadrajet style.

Is it also true that the ‘65 air cleaner (designed for a Carter carb) wouldn’t fit on a Q-jet carb?  Or would it fit, but simply point to the driver’s side instead of the passenger side?`65

*** Wont fit, different carb body diameters.

ideally, I’d like to reproduce a stock setup (‘66 425 (non-A.I.R, non-RS) w/ Q-jet, and air cleaner pointed to passenger side) and so pass on the ‘65 air cleaner, and wait for a correct ‘66 to come along, but not if I’m going to wait forever.

*** Forever is a long time...the search is not that dire but the `66 tall Quadrajet air cleaners dont come up for sale often. Personally, I dont think the tall air cleaners are as attractive as compared to the pancake style air cleaners but if you go that route you will need to find a Quadrajet style pancake air cleaner which would have originated on a `66 Riv or Wildcat GS and will be expensive.

Hope this helps answer your questions,

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 5:00 AM, Rocks Rod & Custom said:

I have a few of the pancake style air cleaners for a quadrajet and nos filters to complete the assemblies. I also have a few of the 1966 quadrajet intakes. Let me know if you are still looking for these parts.

IMG_20230219_111130906.jpg

IMG_20230219_111140792.jpg

IMG_20230219_112027882.jpg

IMG_20230219_111351495_HDR.jpg

On 1/29/2023 at 3:09 PM, XframeFX said:

Is the giant rat's nest extra? 🙂

1 hour ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Is the giant rat's nest extra?

A surprise to find something like this '66 Electra in 2023? So, what was that I encountered under the hood? A rats nest? "Holy infestation!", a good description!

This car was a new arrival at DVP's Black Canyon Lot. Not picked-over and sitting outside the Lot Gates.

With all that they had out there, lucky for my wife, I couldn't find much anything to bring back on the flight home, except for the '65 seatbelt fiasco.

In Alberta, we have had a "Rat Patrol" for eons. The Province is supposedly "Rat-Free".

• Like 1