Time & Money AND a Show Date

1937hd45

Not a lot to the stories....

A friend a few years back was showing his freshly restored prewar at Hershey and there was a finish part the restorer couldn't find the right style of in time and the owner, his wife and the restorer walked Hershey looking for the part and found it in time to win a 1st Jr.

Back when the Hershey car show was around the old stadium I was judging an MG, if I remember a TC, and it was so fresh you could smell the fresh paint. The owner was very talkative about working on it to the last minute and started pointing out things they didn't have time to finish. I told him to stop, it was my job to judge and if I didn't know something was missing he would loose points, but if he pointed it out I would have to make deductions. He stopped talking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I used to watch the shows on (then SPEED) Motor Trend channel where builders and restorers worked all night at the last minute to meet a show deadline.  I always thought they were fabricated drama…until it happened to me.  I had had an accident with my 1930 Franklin while loading on the trailer for a spring meet.  Missed the meet.  Targeted another meet that fall.   Removing, stripping, and refinishing the damaged fenders was going well … until it came time to match the paint.  Unpredictably, it took my best paint guy several weeks, collaborating with a number of his suppliers, to get a match with which he was satisfied.  He brought the three repainted fenders by my shop at 4:30 on the day before the show.  Fortunately for me, he brought two of his guys along with him, and the four of us worked in my shop until 9 pm to get the car together.  My wife brought sandwiches for the crew by around 8, which earned her big points, too.  
      The car showed well the next day, and the difference between repainted parts and 1983 restoration parts was undetectable on the show field — I was truly astounded.  (The painter’s standards are way higher than mine.).  So maybe all the drama isn’t fabricated.  
     It wasn’t a high dollar job as most go, but a good story to have to tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, K8096 said:

I know a car that was at Pebble last year where they were in a rush to finish it and the labor bill the last month was 90K.   The car got a third in class award.  

Money is the difference between a restoration that last 5 years vs. one that takes 6 months.

• Like 1

Friend, now gone, lived in Sarasota and was finishing a 1932 Packard for a show in Rome, GA. Night before the show and still had many hours of work to do, mounting headlights, taillights, fender lights, front and rear bumpers. etc. What to do?  Simple. Leave for the show late at night with just enough time to make it onto the field. Have wife drive the truck and trailer while you and a buddy finish the car in the trailer which luckily had good lighting.  Made it in time to drive onto the field and take home a Junior 1st.  1932 Packard 900 Conv Coupe.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Have wife drive the truck and trailer while you and a buddy finish the car in the trailer

I used to race against a team like this.

They never did well but were certainly dedicated.

• Like 1