Pre-1935 air valve carburetors

carbking

Most of the discussion of air valve carburetors on this forum has to do with Marvels. Years ago I posted a picture of common Marvel air valve springs.

But Marvel was not the only carburetor company to use spring loaded air valves: Detroit (Packard), Johnson (Cadillac), and Schebler also use spring loaded air valves. 

Below are some pictures of the more common Schebler springs, and the springs used by Detroit and Johnson:

Edit: and as usual when I try to post a picture anywhere but my website, they are randomly in any configuration EXCEPT right side up: which NEVER occurs!

Jon

Detroit_and_Johnson_air_valve_springs.jpg

Schebler_air_valve_springs.jpg

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m working on a PI right now…….and I detest air valve carburetors.

That RR 20/25 I worked on I had to take .015 off the base of a jet as it would run rich all the time and the engine could not be stalled by adjusting it lean. Once I figgured it out and got the jet to go in farther and close off the seat all was fine. Supposed to be the finest cars built. Hah! 😬 The original carburator was missing and this was a supposed rebuilt carb that we found and purchased. Dandy Dave!

On 1/5/2023 at 3:34 AM, carbking said:

Edit: and as usual when I try to post a picture anywhere but my website, they are randomly in any configuration EXCEPT right side up: which NEVER occurs!

That’s caused by something known as EXIF data embedded within the photo, basically it’s a piece of meta data that tells software the rotation of the image. What sometimes happens is that depending on the camera and where you’re using the image it will essentially tell the software to rotate an already rotated photo. There are a couple of tools that will remove the rotation meta data so it doesnt happen but I think (from memory) if you rotate it all the way around in the default picture viewer in windows it will remove the metadata and stop messing with the rotation 

What’s also “great” about the air springs is how many are mislabeled for their application just because they look similar… 

Maybe my problem is using the iphone camera, and then loading the picture onto my pc. I use Windows Viewer to rotate the picture, and then use Adobe Acrobat to crop and size the picture. These upload fine on my own website, but how they display on this one is purely random. I have even redid pictures that were rotated say 90 degrees to the right, and rotated them 90 degrees to the left, only to have them then display another 90 degrees to the left, or maybe upside down! I seem to bring out the worse in any computer! ;) 

After many tries and admitting defeat, I can offer the following advice when viewing these pictures:

(1) download the pictures to your computer, and rotate them to your desire

(2) turn the computer on its side when viewing

(3) stand on your head ;)

As to your comment about mislabeling:

About 1/2 of the carburetor stuff offered for sale on ebay that isn't current production and boxed is mislabeled.

Fortunately, we had either new old stock samples or factory prints/data when we reproduced all these springs.

Before that, some 50 year ago, bought a manual spring winding tool. Manually winding easy springs is an art form, not a science. Winding these weird air valve springs is just ridiculous. 

As to what we used to see in carburetors that came in for restoration.............................................

Fortunately, we have a source for the modern Q-Jet springs.

Jon

• Like 1

If you are using a VIEWER to rotate pictures, I predict you are going to have a lot of pictures upside down and sideways on forums. A viewer is exactly what it says it is. It is probably allowing you to view an upside down picture right side up. Open them in a photo editor and save the modified picture after correction.

Could Acrobat do it? I don't know. Probably. I haven't been using it lately, I thought it was just for making PDFs. Since you say you can crop with it, it must be saving a modified picture. You can probably rotate and save with it too.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Like I said, I have conceded defeat.

The procedure I use:

(1) take picture with iphone

(2) copy image to pc

(3) view image with Windows Viewer

(4) if needed, rotate image, and save

(5) copy rotated image to Adobe Photoshop, crop, re-size and save.

The cropped and re-sized image now is in the upright position on my pc, and if uploaded to my website is upright.

Jon

4 hours ago, carbking said:

Like I said, I have conceded defeat.

The procedure I use:

(1) take picture with iphone

(2) copy image to pc

(3) view image with Windows Viewer

(4) if needed, rotate image, and save

(5) copy rotated image to Adobe Photoshop, crop, re-size and save.

The cropped and re-sized image now is in the upright position on my pc, and if uploaded to my website is upright.

Jon

Jon,

have you tried this on your iPhone?

1.  Take picture with iPhone.
2.  Hold phone in vertical orientation (important) and open (tap) photo while in “photos”.
3.  Tap “edit” in upper right corner; screen backdrop turns black with multiple edit options.
4.  Tap rotation button at bottom of display; new display presents a rotation button at top left.
5.  Tap this rotation button until oriented with top of picture at top of display; rotates 90 degrees each time you tap it.
6.  Also note that you can move any of the four picture corners inwards to crop to any size preferred.
7.  When you have it the way you want it tap “done” in lower right hand corner.
8.  All subject to the iOS system you are updated to.
9.  Once you do this a few times it becomes second nature and is super quick and easy.