1919 Chandler

erichill

I have never mounted tires on Demountable rims so i have no experience. My question is will 34" x 4"  and 34" x 4.5" tires fit on the same rim? I got this car disassembled with one old tire that says 34x4.5" I can only assume it came off this car.  Chanlder claims to have used both 4 and 4?5 inch tires for that year depending upon body style. Problem is I don't know the body style as the body is not original. The rims are 26" diameter

Any help or insight is appreciated.  I found a great deal at Hershey on two 34" x 4" new tires, but need to order two more.

Eric

The two are not interchangeable. If Chandler offered both, they offered a different wheel and rim option along with the wider tires.

34" is the outer diameter, in theory. Aspect ratio is 100%. Subtract sidewall twice to get rim size.

34" - 4.5" - 4.5" = 25".

34 - 4 - 4 = 26".

If they are 26" the 34x4 should fit. If 34x4-1/2 fits, you have 25" rims. 25" rims are way more common than 26".

Rim size is measured at the bottom of the bead surface, not the outer edge of the rim.

If you wind up with any 26" tires you can't use, please send me a PM.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bloo said:

Rim size is measured at the bottom of the bead surface, not the outer edge of the rim.

Thanks, I measured the outside diameter. The whole thing is getting confusing To add to it on the outside of the wood spokes portion is stamped 33"x 4" See photo. Yet the one tire my dad kept I assume to use as a reference clearly says 34" x 4.5"

Chandler rim size stamp.JPG

• Like 1

33x4 as I imagine you figured out is another 25 inch tire like 34x4.5 . The wheel is probably the same for either of those 25" sizes. Rims could have been wider for the 4.5 tire originally. Dykes Encyclopedia might have something to say about that, as might the Chandler parts book if one exists.

In any event, the wider tire will almost certainly stuff on the narrower rim if you want. Chandler may have even done it that way(?).

• Like 1

29 Chandler, thanks for the photos as they will come in handy as i have never mounted tire on these types of rims. As it turns out y rims do call for 34"x 4.5"  Ordered tires, tubes and rim flats today from Coker.  Your wheel look beautiful by the way. 

Eric

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, erichill said:

29 Chandler, thanks for the photos as they will come in handy as i have never mounted tire on these types of rims. As it turns out y rims do call for 34"x 4.5"  Ordered tires, tubes and rim flats today from Coker.  Your wheel look beautiful by the way. 

Eric

Jim Lackey’s book only shows 34x4 for 1919. Where did you confirm the tire size of 34x4.5?

Edited by 29 Chandler (see edit history)

Would also suggest buying tyre pliers from the period, much easier and safer for changing tyres - I tried it using the bar and a screw drivers originally and it took a long time (and seemed super sketchy). Using the pliers they were done in about 10 minutes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Jim Lackey’s book only shows 34x4 for 1919. Where did you confirm the tire size of 34x4.5?

Yes I have that book and boy is it full of information.   Honestly  my car may be a 1920  It was titled in the 60's as a 1919  but the VIN number is in the 1920 range.  And the one tire my father kept is 34"x 34.5"  My confusion started with the stamping on the wood spoke section that says 33" x 4" Then I was informed that I was measuring the outer rim wrong and how the tire numbers worked in that era. One big learning curve for me. I guess since the car has been referred to as the 1919 Chandler ALL my life I need to change what I call it. 

The whole car is strange. It is a roadster but the doors are not Chandler as the hinges are exposed. and the back half of the body has about 7" extension brazed on. Also you can see where the back half was once a coupe. You can see where they took torches to cut the top off, and nice flat area where the windows were.  There is no trunk, but did have bows and a convertible roof.  And the car was painted yellow and as best i can tell it was only painted once and as far as i know while Chandler painted some wood spoke rims yellow in the teens they never offered yellow as a body color

It's been a fun project. As you know there just is not much out there to use as a reference on these Chandlers, especially in the early years. 

1386.JPG

1488.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Would also suggest buying tyre pliers from the period, much easier and safer for changing tyres - I tried it using the bar and a screw drivers originally and it took a long time (and seemed super sketchy). Using the pliers they were done in about 10 minutes

Do you have a picture of the pliers that you are talking about?

• Like 2

There are several excellent reproduction catalogs/books about early wire wheels.  Some of the pages have been shown already.  If you don't have them I think the information you gain from them would be worth the price  to purchase  them.   If interested PM me and I'll forward their  names.