Classy old truck - 1939 Ford truck custom built for LaSalle Wines

A snazzy 1947 Labatt's Co. Streamliner beer truck. : r/DamnthatsinterestingTo a

To add to Craig's mention of this truck and trailer Labatt's drivers were also expected to stop to assist stranded motorists and wore a distinctive uniform.  All in the name or marketing.  As a complete side note it seems like to be a successful brewer in Canada you needed to be named John and be connected to London,, Ontario.  John Labatt, John Molson and John Carling.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Someone will correct me if I got this wrong. You couldn't advertise beer on a billboard in Canada so they spent that money on trucks.

Nor could they advertise on television (which was just getting underway when those trucks were on the road) until the early 1970's.  

Craig

there are still laws on advertising alcohol ,and even stricter on cigarettes and now cigarettes have to be out of sight in any store in my province.........all to promote healthier lifestyle,and recent ban on menthol cigarettes.

the fancy trucks got around the law also the companies were big on giving promotional things away 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this forum, but I couldn't resist commenting on this cool old truck from 1939. It's amazing how purpose-built trucks like that were like works of art. It's such a shame that so few of them survived over the years.
Speaking of trucks, I've been hunting for similar info lately, and I came across truckexporter.co.uk. They've got a lot of used truck options that might be worth checking out if you're in the market for one. I just thought I'd share some info!
Anyway, back to the truck. I found it interesting that Labatt's drivers were expected to help stranded motorists and wore a distinctive uniform. Talk about marketing tactics! And isn't it funny how to be a successful brewer in Canada, you needed to be named John and be connected to London, Ontario? John Labatt, John Molson, and John Carling - what a coincidence!

Edited by Shamshoo (see edit history)
  • Like 1