1937 Buick Special 40 Marvel carb issues

Auldon

just acquired beautiful older Seybold restoration. Does changing the carb to Stromberg from Marvel destroy the originality? I do want to drive this occasionally. Or are there tips to make the Marvel more reliable. I have not had an old car in 50 years or so and want to enjoy this one while I can. Thanks

4085-1.jpg

4093-1.jpg

Edited by Auldon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was aware that both were used in 37, I had read that the Stromberg might have fewer issues. This frame up restoration has won 2 previous AACA first place show awards and I did not want to do something to compromise it. I should call Mr. Seybold and inquire. I believe it had sat for a few years prior to my purchase and the carb is probably gummed up inside. Perhaps a kit if I can locate one and a pro carb person could redeem this issue. Thank you

The 1937 Buick Special could have come with either a Marvel Model BD Carburetor or a Stromberg Model AA-1 Carburetor. Either is equally acceptable for judging. You could rebuild your carburetor or replace it with a Stromberg. Neither will cause a problem for judging. 

I would also suggest you check out and consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club. http://www.3638buickclub.org/

If you contact me via the contact the webmaster link on the club website, or else by private message on this forum when you have enough posts to be able to send a private message, I  will be happy to send you a free .pdf sample issue of the club newsletter. 

Thank you for your replies and advice. I think I will join BCA, 3638 Buick Club as well as AACA which I am already registered. This car was restored with no expense spared by Doug Seybold as his personal vehicle. It won 1st Place Senior Division in 2008 and again in 2014. When I received it it had 121 miles since complete restoration. To me it is a work of art as well as a fine machine. 

IMGP2979_w (002).jpg

IMGP3022_w (002).jpg

IMGP3217_w (002).jpg

• Like 3

Auldon:

Congratulations on the 37. I had looked over the car while it was at Matt's and yes it was a beautiful restoration. Matt promoted it to me as a replacement for my recently totaled "Driver" model 41. Unfortunately at only about 3 times what I could afford. Not needing a show car but a car to enjoy touring with.

You will not find anything in the owners or shop manual about your Marvel. Only Stromberg.

The carb you may have is a Marvel CD-1B. Quite a beast. On my 1937-41 I had the original Marvel BD-1. With the aforementioned Delco choke. With all the miles I put on the car, including several 3,000 mile round trips, the car seemed to run OK...?? Of course I did not have an opportunity to have a better carb to compare with.

The only Buick service information was published in the 1937 Dealer Service Bulletins. I had considered early on swapping out my BD-1 for an AA-1 Stromberg. Unfortunately this intails changing of the manifold and all associated linkages. Since the BD-1 is what came on my car and I already had a ton of money getting it rebuilt that was what I used.

The CD-1B replaced the BD-1 and was designed to use the same manifold and linkage setup as provided for the Stromberg AA1.  Pages 79-87  1937 Dealer Service Bulletins icluding all diagrams, parts call outs adjustments etc.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Just my two bobs worth.

My ‘38 Special also came original with the Marvel carburettor and its associated automatic choke system. The car became problematic in becoming unreliable to start. (Garage kept and mild temperatures in Australia) In the end it became a marvel if it started. Then one morning having started it first thing, when I went to start it to go on an outing it refused to restart. Even cursing and swearing made no difference.

I resolved the issue by installing a 2bbl Carter carburettor from a 1947 Buick from the same 248cu in engine. The tag on the carburettor matched my listings so knew it should work.

By coiling a copper tube and inserting this into the exhaust manifold where the original Marvel choke resides gave me a fully working choke. I did lose the hand throttle but that was not an issue as it became a reliable Buick that would start.

The throttle required a lever to be made but found those details through this forum and you will find pictures and details of the modification under Me and My Buick. I kept all the Marvel parts and nothing was modified that could not be easily returned to original condition. 

I did not take this step lightly as my preference was to keep this Buick original. But having a garage ornament is not much fun!

Anyway, pictures otherwise it never happened. Further pictures in my post under Rodney’s 1938 Buick Special.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

B9835FD4-D824-4923-B5AF-0C16AB5415DE.jpeg

9193ECA1-FBE8-48B8-9B0D-26A632A4EA37.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Extra information corrections (see edit history)

On 12/7/2022 at 8:37 AM, Auldon said:

Thank you for your replies and advice. I think I will join BCA, 3638 Buick Club as well as AACA which I am already registered. This car was restored with no expense spared by Doug Seybold as his personal vehicle. It won 1st Place Senior Division in 2008 and again in 2014. When I received it it had 121 miles since complete restoration. To me it is a work of art as well as a fine machine.

With only 121 miles in ~8? years and given today's fuels the complete fuel system from tank to carb may need a good service - cleanout. But expect Matt gave it a good service.

https://www.buickclub.org/

Impressive looking car.  Hope you enjoy it.

Buick's are meant to be driven

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1