(9) Marketplace - 1978 Ford Thunderbird | Facebook

bout This Vehicle

Driven 49,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Red · Interior color: White
2 owners
This vehicle is paid off

Seller's Description

1978 ALL ORIGINAL Thunderbird 351...Very Rare Factory TTOPS!!! NO LEAKS...New Tires...Original wheels in the trunk....No Rust! Runs great fully serviced... everything works...take it anywhere....Only taking offers in person...Real Deal Car

Product photo of 1978 Ford Thunderbird

• Like 1

How common are the T-tops with the 1977-79

Thunderbirds?  I don't recall seeing them before.

Maybe I just never noticed.

Do they have interior shades to block the sun?

Were they offered on the similar 1977-79 Mercury

Cougars?  I'm tapping into members' expertise here.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My '92 300 ZX had shades. We built a lot of these back when I worked for GM. I don't recall them coming with shades. Though are pure '70's, I never liked them. Too much trouble to use. I prefer a moonroof. 

This thing has a lot of curb appeal with the 'reach out and grab you' red paint job! The tach,gauges and t-tops make me think it's the top of the model. I really like it!!

I worked at a large Ford dealership in Dayton OH during this time period. I remember several of these cars coming through the dealership, but the t-tops were definitely a very rare option. My GUESS would be less than 5-10 percent of T-Birds built in this era. 

There were no interior shades for the T-Tops. This option was only seen on fully loaded cars.

I believe the Cougars also offered this option.

Kevin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kevin1221 said:

I worked at a large Ford dealership in Dayton OH during this time period. I remember several of these cars coming through the dealership, but the t-tops were definitely a very rare option. My GUESS would be less than 5-10 percent of T-Birds built in this era. 

Kevin, thank you for the insight.  Since you were there

at the time, your testimony is especially helpful.

So, maybe 1 in 10, or 1 in 20 Thunderbirds, had T-tops,

according to what you saw.

Would they have been most popular in a warm climate,

or would that be too hot, so a cooler climate was best for them?

And, for our record, the car is in Medinah, Illinois.

There is no telephone number in the Facebook ad.

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Kevin, thank you for the insight.  Since you were there

at the time, your testimony is especially helpful.

So, maybe 1 in 10, or 1 in 20 Thunderbirds, had T-tops,

according to what you saw.

Yes and in reality it was probably closer to 1 in 20 cars had the T-Top option.

Would they have been most popular in a warm climate,

or would that be too hot, so a cooler climate was best for them?

I have no info or idea on where they sold better. I would think warmer climates, but then the sun beating in on you could be a detriment.

If truly interested, I recommend a Marti Report to verify these are factory items. There were several vendors adding this option after the fact.

Other than the wheels, I like this car. 

I would highly doubt the t tops are a 'factory option'. My guess would be that they were farmed out to a sub contractor. Ford used ASC (American Sunroof Company) to modify their fox body mustangs. Perhaps ASC did them. I am more familiar with GM T top cars than ford. 

I have never seen them on this vintage TBird. As far as leaking, my experience says that they are guaranteed not to leak, as long as water doesnt touch them.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

When I mentioned factory option, I was referring to the t tops already being installed when the car was received at the dealership from the factory. I agree that Ford most likely subbed these out, prior to shipping the car to the dealership.

Kevin

• Like 1

I had a Mustang with T-tops, I believe it was an '81. There was really no way you could have a shade on them since they were removable. It was actually a nice feature since with them out you really had the convertible feel with no wind buffeting. They were very dark glass so the additional heat wasn't a problem, at least where I lived (not a hot area).   

GM started to put 'factory t tops' in around 78. So yes there are Factory T Tops. I had sun shades in my 96 Camaro, but at least up to 1985 as far as I know shades were not available. The ones in the 96 were a thin piece of flocked board that fit between the glass and the roof frame. They were placed when putting the top in sandwiching it between the glass and the roof. Worked great. Many guys make similar for their second generation cars now. I just leave mine out in the summer.

Even if something was farmed out to a subcontractor

or supplier, I would call it a "factory option" if it was

authorized by the manufacturer.  For example, some of

the independent car companies even used engines made

by other manufacturers.  Such options, of all sorts, would

be in factory literature and even pictured in a brochure.

2 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Absolutely!  We are splitting hairs here.    The 1953 Packard Caribbean was a custom job out of (if I remember) Freeport, Illinois subcontractor then sold through Packard dealers.   

The other T Bird I spotted looks the same, ASC or some handy subcontractor did the work, but it was sold as a T Bird through Ford dealers.  I wonder how the dealer catalogs and literature deal with it? 

(18) Marketplace - 1978 Ford Thunderbird | Facebook

Seller's Description

need to sell 1978 t top TBird. 351W been sitting 28 years . just got it running. runs great. but still needs work. interior is excellent. just needs cleaning. doors rusted. frame has flaky rust. 1979 T bird. 351w . has bad cam . using as parts car. has very little rust frame has no rust . was running last spring so lots of good parts for the t top car. $4000 for both cars

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

GM started to put 'factory t tops' in around 78. So yes there are Factory T Tops. I had sun shades in my 96 Camaro, but at least up to 1985 as far as I know shades were not available. The ones in the 96 were a thin piece of flocked board that fit between the glass and the roof frame. They were placed when putting the top in sandwiching it between the glass and the roof. Worked great. Many guys make similar for their second generation cars now. I just leave mine out in the summer.

T tops started with the 68 Vette. I had 2 of these cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The 1953 Packard Caribbean was a custom job out of (if I remember) Freeport, Illinois subcontractor then sold through Packard dealers.  

Jake,

You are correct about a custom manufacturer for the bodies. 

The bodies of the 750 1953 Packard Caribbeans produced were constructed by the Mitchell-Bentley Corporation of Owasso Michigan.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree completely. I have Cars n Concepts tops on one of my trans ams. Not factory installed however from what I have gathered the cars were shipped to the CnC factory in Detroit for installation before being sent to the dealer. Now if I can get the AACA judging to accept your synopsis perhaps I can get my car on the show field.

• Like 1