Anyone know what this is worth - VINTAGE WINN SYNCHROMETER

Greg bowers

VINTAGE WINN SYNCHROMETER -

Here's one on auction site "WorthPoint". There are no $$$ shown:

This auction is for a vintage Winn Synchrometer by H.S. McAllister Company out of Chicago, Illinois. This rare piece includes a 6.75 by 8.75 wooden box with a metal clasp. Within the box, all necessary pieces appear to be included. This includes necessary tools and devices. The top wire of the synchrometer is missing one of the three forked pieces that would attached to a screw, but could easily be replaced with a modern equivalent. Also included in this auction is the original instruction manual, describing all features and functions of this piece.This classic, one of a kind synchrometer shows some signs of wear in keeping with a device of its age. This will ship within 2 business days of auctions end. Please contact me with questions or requests for additional images.

sync1.jpg

sync2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Anyone know what this is worth - VINTAGE WINN SYNCHROMETER
2 hours ago, Greg bowers said:

Wait they had v- 8s in 1925? What did u do with Them ware are they now?

V8's were available way earlier. I worked on around a 1916 Oldsmobile years ago with one similar to the 1915 Cadillac engine. Earliest versions were used in aircraft if memory serves me right. Also worked on a 1922 Pearless with a V8 and a 1925 Cuningham with a V8. I have a close friend with a 1922 Cadillac that also has one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_engine  also 

https://itstillruns.com/who-invented-v-engine-4894231.html

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought mine without the instructions on eBay three years ago for $100 shipping included and it’s as complete as yours is. I have seen them listed much higher but I don’t know if they sold…

Their use is to set multi-cylinder dual point distributors, my car has a 4 lobe distributor cam for an 8 cylinder engine, so those points need to fire 45 degrees from each other to keep in sync. On a 12 cylinder it would be 30 degrees apart and for a 16 cylinder they need to fire 22.5 degrees apart. 

I think I posted pictures here years ago using mine, but those pictures are not still in my phone but here’s one of the pictures I was sent of those instructions. If you need I can see if all the instructions are still in my phone…

96C8FB9B-406D-4C01-8BA0-F23D900E56E0.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Oops, it must have been $100 plus shipping.

Here is that old thread:

Perfect example of why the moderators suggest not deleting old threads once we find our answers. Even old parts threads after we locate a part we may be wanting to buy.

I used to think deleting old parts threads in order to clean up the forums was necessary but never thought someone later down the road may be looking for that part or trying to id said part.. just as this thread will surely answer questions for others who may have one sitting on a shelf who may not know what it is.

Very interesting piece

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Greg bowers said:

Wait they had v- 8s in 1925? What did u do with Them ware are they now?

You mean where are they now?

I do not know all the useses, nor follow succesive owners of the few things that leave me.

Best wishes on  your sale.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...