Can this cast iron exhaust manifold be saved?

TimFX

Cast iron has to be heated prior to repair.  I'm not proficient so contact PennDutch Restoration Services and ask.  They are currently rebuilding a 1928 Chrysler engine for me that had a small hole in the water jacket.  They sent it out to a local place which specializes in repairing cast iron.

Don't use brass that close to the engine. It melts. Maybe it could be welded with nickel rod after being heated in a furnace, but your best option is replacement if there is any way. Exhaust manifolds are a special case, as the metallurgy changes a little from the heat, and they take a lot of abuse from expansion, contraction, and twisting from the exhaust system. In my experience repairs usually do not last.

I would show it to one of the cold cast iron repair guys first and see if that is a possibility. Next is welding. I believe @Dave39MD had an exhaust manifold welded by a forum member. Last I heard, it was still holding fine. Maybe he knows where to get that done.

But just get a good one if there is any way to do so.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
13 hours ago, TimFX said:

Update!

it has been welded and installed. So good so far

C86A7AB9-6121-4A1B-AFFD-A615A4F7A3E9.jpeg

How many heat cycles and/or miles since the repair ?

On 7/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, TimFX said:

Driven about 100 miles in 20-ish intervals. More planed on the weekends 

Good to hear.

Please, report back after, let's say 500 or 1000+ miles and tell us how the repair is holding up.

Care to share how it was done, how it looked right after it was repaired (pictures ?) and perhaps who did it ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I do a bit of welding for my self and am definately not a professional. But I've somehow had great success with cast iron.

Many years ago I read and interesting 1940s article on welding broken cast spoke wheels on prewar agricultural machinery. These guys had to fix their own stuff.

The gist was heating the part are the right spots to expand the iron before the welding and a long slow cooling.

Years later when it was playing with my home made steam engine we broke the flywheel when pushing in the centre boss.

So I decided to use my stick welder with normal rods to fix it.

so I took the plates off my gas BBQ and heated it on max to about 300°C for 30 minutes, then did the welds.

While still hot I gently peened the welds with a light hammer to stop crystallisation, covered and wrapped, or bury in deep sand overnight.

As the photos show it's still good today.

this could also work on an iron manifold.

I would find a junk item to experiment on.

IMG_20231114_065032.jpg

• Like 4