Not sure

40yearriv

Just got my first old Buick, it's been in a barn for about 40 years!! Alot of stuff was still working, it had no rust I could find and it looked straight so thought it would be an easy fix up. Shoulda known better. Now I know what that much dust and use as a storage shelf can do.  I've done some partial restores before, but this ones got me thinking. Joined you guys both for advice and to pick the brains of those that have been there before. Oh yeah, it is a '63 Riviera that came with the original title, had never been sold before. Thought that should be out there. That actually was part of the reason I got it. Let me know what you think, love to hear!! 

A barn is the worst possible environment for an automobile because of rodent damage.

If your car is like most cars that have sat in a barn for 40 years, the car will need basically everything

redone mechanically and in the interior. the outside of the car may clean up and be presentable, if not the car

will need everything. You will find that it would be  much much cheaper to go out and buy a very nice 63 Riviera.

At a Barrett Jackson auction a couple of months ago a gorgeous 63 that needed nothing that the owner foolishly listed

at no reserve got stolen by the new owner for 23,000 dollars! This is probably half what you would need to restore the Barn Find

assuming your hundreds of hours of labor are worth zero. If you are married, be prepared for the wife to walk out the door

right away, or give you an ultimatum a year into the project.......i.e the car goes or I go. In every copy of Hemmings there are

cars for sale all torn down and partially restored for sale either because the restorer passed away or more often because the

wife issued the ultimatum. If you got the car cheap, tear it down for parts and go buy a nice one that you can start enjoying

the moment it is unloaded from the transporter.......life is short so enjoy yourself while you can. All old cars, no

matter how nice, will need some problems fixed, but generally it is foolish to buy any used car that has been

mistreated or abused, no matter how cheap it is. I have lots of old cars, but all have been babied their entire

existence and not ever left to rot in a barn for 40 years.  

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 40yearriv said:

Just got my first old Buick, it's been in a barn for about 40 years!! Alot of stuff was still working, it had no rust I could find and it looked straight so thought it would be an easy fix up. Shoulda known better. Now I know what that much dust and use as a storage shelf can do.  I've done some partial restores before, but this ones got me thinking. Joined you guys both for advice and to pick the brains of those that have been there before. Oh yeah, it is a '63 Riviera that came with the original title, had never been sold before. Thought that should be out there. That actually was part of the reason I got it. Let me know what you think, love to hear!! 

Join the ROA. Keep reading this forum; absorb as much as you can, learn where the research is, ask question without regard to feeling like a rookie, know that very few hard parts are reproduced for the Riviera but it’s a full sized Buick and lots of chassis and engine parts are shared with other full sized cars.  Don’t get scared off until you’ve gone through the entire car yourself.  

Then to satisfy everyone, post a lot of pictures.

I'm not sure about your Title: "Not sure".  Are you not sure where to start? Whether you're keeping it? You say "shoulda known better" and your purchase "got you thinking".

If a lot works.. what doesn't?

You say the dirt hid a lot and it sounds like the hood is scraped up, is that a deterrent? I like project cars but don't like rustaybe you are the same.

Maybe you want to trade for a done car with a glove box full of cash? 😄

11 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

You will find that it would be  much much cheaper to go out and buy a very nice 63 Riviera.

Couldn't have said it better. The best project is the nicest specimen you could find. Learned that lesson long ago.

Being committed to a total drawn-out project will also prevent purchasing a low mileage original "Find" (wife won't tolerate another). Encountered countless situations of missed opportunities.

However, having my Riviera of 40+ years and on-the-road in the last year and a half, I ask myself when driving alone, is this it? No fun! So, I did discover long haul car meets, local meets, convoys to car meets, passengers, that's fun! Add to that, working to improve my Riv brings a great deal of satisfaction as long as nothing major. But typical Riviera, small issues turn-out to be projects. Or, is it me? At this rate, I'll never get to upgrades such as Bilsteins, steeringbox, rear bushings and ST400.

14 hours ago, 40yearriv said:

Just got my first old Buick,

Do you have images of your acquisition? Cowl Tag?

Sir, In the case you decide to sell. Please send me info where I can Western Union payment and the address of the place you found this car. I’m sure I’d like to buy.

Ill have to come get it or have a hauling company come get the car.

Thsnk you in advance for your consideration.

Bob Burnopp