1928 Packard 526/533 Master Battery Shutoff

32Pontiac6

That is an interesting idea.  I am finding that fitting a mechanical one in the space close to the battery (to shutoff upstream of the starter/ammeter branch)  is difficult.  With the Optima battery  I am using it is possible that I could put a solenoid in the battery box.  I assume that you can buy some that would take the high 6V current to the starter?  

Do you have any references to manufacturers of the solenoids?

Anybody else using this method?

Go big. Adding any extra connections in a battery cable is asking for trouble, and shutoff switches are notoriously unreliable. It's also more critical at 6 volts because the current is higher. Something intended for a fire truck might be about right. On some previous thread in this forum I've lost track of, @Matt Harwood identified a switch that has proven reliable.

I've not tried latching solenoids. That's an interesting idea. I wonder if the latch mechanism would work on 6 volts?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mark graber said:

Hi Rob,

You might do a search on packardinfo.com.  There have been several discussions about installing these switches and good ones to use.

Mark

I posted on the Packard sites but no response yet.  I also tried a search but must not have used the right words.  I will try again.

3 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

This is an excellent switch that can handle the amps.

Dave

cole hersee 75908 bx.jpg

Not in Packards, but I've installed a bunch of those Cole Hersee switches for customers - all in 6 volt cars in the late 20's and early 30's. They are heavy duty and can easily handle the amps. Switch body doesn't even get warm after a lot of starter motor use.

I usually mount them through the floor under the middle of the front seat with a push/pull handle made to look like a seat adjuster handle. That way they are easy to quickly reach from driver's seat, or through either door when working on the car, and they won't be accidently kicked off by passenger's feet. 

Paul  

• Like 1

I believe there are a number of threads on this forum about battery switches. The One posted above looks like a good one. I can tell you to absolutely not use the kind that attach directly to the battery terminal. You Will either end up burning your car to the ground, or it will just not start for some reason, and the reason will be the switch.

Your switch MUST be rated for 300 amps and surge to 1500, or it’s gonna cook. All the 12 volt switches sold won’t handle the amperage of a six volt. 90 percent of what is for sale is junk. Be careful, and buy the correct unit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PFitz said:

Not in Packards, but I've installed a bunch of those Cole Hersee switches for customers - all in 6 volt cars in the late 20's and early 30's. They are heavy duty and can easily handle the amps. Switch body doesn't even get warm after a lot of starter motor use.

I usually mount them through the floor under the middle of the front seat with a push/pull handle made to look like a seat adjuster handle. That way they are easy to quickly reach from driver's seat, or through either door when working on the car, and they won't be accidently kicked off by passenger's feet. 

Paul  

Do you have any pictures showing your push pull handle installation ? Clever mounting idea!

1 hour ago, Milburn Drysdale said:

Do you have any pictures showing your push pull handle installation ? Clever mounting idea!

Here you go, MD.

Some of the battery switch handles I've made, and all with the Cole Hersee switches like mentioned above, that I've installed in customer's cars.

The first picture is brass T-handle push/pull in a 1930 touring car with a fixed wooden seat frame. 

Second and third pictures are in a 1930 Woody wagon with an adjustable front seat. The brass T-handle is a push/pull. 

Fourth, fifth, and sixth pictures are in a 31 Club sedan - also with an adjustable front seat. Made the push/pull handle in a similar style of the original door release handles and seat adjuster handle. 

The rods go through a hole in a floor-mounted bracket of the seat frame. 

Paul 

P1010021.JPG

Bat switch on.JPG

30 Woody-bat sw..JPG

Cl;ub sedan,4.jpg

Club sedan, 6.jpg

Club sedan, 8.jpg

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2