dextron two or three for transmission fluid change?

handmedownreatta

I think the answer on which fluid to use is.... use the latest version.   

I am a firm believer of auxiliary transmission coolers,  unless you live in the far North a cooler can 

extend the life of your transmission. 

Look at it this way........transmission fluid is going to a tank in the radiator to be cooled.

How hot is transmission fluid if sending it to a 180 F radiator cools it?

On my Reatta I completely bypassed the radiator and the auxiliary cooler does all the cooling

because it is big and in ambient air that is below 100F.   This also takes some load off the radiator. 

FluidChart.jpg

• Like 1

i have the  1993 riv cooler mounted but when i swapped the front sheetmetal i had to remove the jury rigged rubber hose setup i had.i have the hard lines too but it hard to figure how to reinstall them.let me clarify that...i have hard lines i think are for that.i so much crap around here.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)

I use a 180F thermostat and bring all fans in by 190F. EVERYTHING under the hood lasts longer. My tow car has a trans temp readout. Have never seen over 195F. Being a Floridian, keeping things cool is important and AC works better.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, handmedownreatta said:

the problem im having is going up steep hills in od it feels like the trans is bucking.

Maybe not the same, but I had a 2001 Century with that same symptom.  I troubleshot ignition and the problem persisted.  Following that, I decided to consider the transmission.  Changed filter and fluid.  I opened the old filter and found yellow metal.  Showed a trans technician and he said there was only one component containing that stuff - planetary gear set.  The car wasn't worth the cost of a trans rebuild, so I got rid of it...

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ronnie said:

On older cars with weaker ignition systems, spark plug wires were the number one cause of stumbling under load at low RPMS.

i replaced them last year.new acdelco 1990s module.used coils.

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Gauge on the fuel rail is easy. OTOH is common for a secondary ignition issue to show up there. Mode $06 test might help.

ive checked the pressure at idle but im guessing the flow may be inadiquate.no idea what OTOH or mode $06 is.

43 minutes ago, padgett said:

On The Other Hand often followed by On The Gripping Hand.

Mode $06 is an extensive test sequence supported by Torque Pro and Good scanners. Toward the end it lists misfires by cylinder.

No offence but why not just explain to us uninformed folks the first time instead of having us guess/question.... just sayin'  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, padgett said:

That was a test. Google is your friend.

Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever.

I guess I flunked the test. 

If someone made a post here in a foreign language, I wouldn't feel ignorant just because I wouldn't waste my time using Google to translate it into English. I think the same applies to the test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I can never please everyone and just because I learned communications in the days of teletypes and morse code does not mean I need to learn jive (movie quote). Always thought Wired used non-contrasting colors to make it hard for older people to read.

Guess I have trouble with what acronyms/abbreviations are acceptable. Always thought of OTOH in the same class as IAC, ECM, or ABS. Also was spoiled by teaching grad students.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

9 hours ago, padgett said:

Guess I have trouble with what acronyms/abbreviations are acceptable. Always thought of OTOH in the same class as IAC, ECM, or ABS.

I think any are acceptable but if you want the majority of people (like me) to fully understand what you are saying you have to keep it simple and just say what you mean. I agree OTOH is in the same class as ECM or ABS, but just saying "Mode $06 test" or OTGH is a little arcane for me to understand and I won't take the time to look it up. I just ignore it thinking at some point down the road I'll stumble across the meaning. I'm betting a lot of other people do the same.

I try to make acronyms and abbreviations as simple to understand on my website as I can. I have a list of them on ROJ. If you see any of the ones that are frequently used in a post on my forum, like ECM for example,  you will see them underlined in light green. If you hover your mouse over them for a second you will see a box pop up containing a short description of the acronym. I added OTOH to that list today. I don't know if anyone uses that feature on the ROJ forum or not but it is there. I thought it might help people new to the forum who may not be up to speed on the acronyms and abbreviations we often use.

• Thanks 2

Interesting thought, guess I tend to be bothered by "I won't take the time to look it up."

Of course I also wonder why anyone with a multi-thousand dollar 30 year old car refuses to buy a service manual.

ps people who do not like my style are why I refuse to post on some forums.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, padgett said:

ps people who do not like my style are why I refuse to post on some forums.

You've helped me a lot over the years and I appreciate it. I always like reading your posts. Just sometimes I don't fully understand them. That might be as much my fault as it is yours. :) 

Vehicles of that era had issues with the coil packs going bad. 

Easy way to check the integrity of the coils is to purchase 3 of these spark testers.  

AC Spark Plug Hei Tester St125 #5613602 NOS for sale online | eBay

Remove one of the spark plug wires for each of the coils, put the spark plug wire on the tester top, clip the tester onto the coil tower and then start the car.

If the car will idle for about 10 minutes without starting to miss or stumble, the coils and ignition system is fine.  If it starts to miss/stumble, look at which tester is not sparking.  That is the bad coil. 

There were two types of coils used in that era.  The single coil pack made by Magnavox will require the complete coil pack to be replaced.  The other style is three individual coils made by Delco are replaceable individually. You only need to replace the bad coil. 

Also when looking at the coil area, be sure to check the ground that is under the coil pack.  Make sure you remove, clean, and retighten the surfaces on both ends of the wire.  It will save you other issues.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2022 at 10:45 AM, padgett said:

On The Other Hand often followed by On The Gripping Hand.

Mode $06 is an extensive test sequence supported by Torque Pro and Good scanners. Toward the end it lists misfires by cylinder.

i searched for mode$06.im not sure that my actron cp9145 scanner does that.everything i saw said osb2.does $06 also work on osb1?