Broken leaf spring U-bolt

drovak

I will see what a local blacksmith or welder can do. 

Bob, this is a Series 80. I haven't focused much on the suspension, but my gut tells me it'll be different, but I will try to take it off the car to get some measurements soon. 

• Like 1

The "square" of the U-bolt seems to be nominally 2" by 2" or so. Obviously, mine is distorted, so it's hard to know what correct should really be. 

The threaded rod sticks out 1.75" past the bottom of the square. 

I would love to know what year this failed!

PXL_20221026_030234875.jpg

• Like 1

Seems to me that this could be repaired by cutting the broken bolt from the "U" and welding a new one on.  Looks like it has been broken for awhile, as the other bolt is distorted.  That one can probably be straightened and cleaned-up.

• Like 4

Stengelbros.net is a source for new U bolts.   they make forged U bolts too but only in larger truck sizes. 

I haven't purchased from this supplier yet but do need to replace my U bolts since they are too short. 

https://www.stengelbros.net/5U-9090S-716-X-2-116-X-5S--12-Square-U-bolt-with-nuts-and-washers_p_14163.html

stengelbros U bolt.jpg

Ubolt table.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same problem with on of the shackel bolts on one of my cars.  I took a grade 8 bolt that had enough threads to match the ones that broke off.

1. Cut off the new bolt to match the length of the old/other side bolt.

2. Milled out the old bolt remains on the shackel with the space on the sides of the U

3. Fitted the new bolt in the milled out groove

4. Welded the new bolt to the old U, both the inside and outside of the U

5. Just make sure that you do not put the bolt in the center of the U.  The inside of the bolt needs to match the flat inside.

6. Grind/finish the welding to match.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I had the same problem and used two new bolts welded to the original U part.  I also had a couple of broken leaves in the spring stack.  I had new ones made by a local industrial spring company that advised me to re-tighten the spring bolts after the first 100 miles.  I was told that broken leaves are mostly caused by loose U bolts.

Modified U Bolt.JPG

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1