1970 Buick riviera - need help removing hubs.

Omega

i am not familiar with these particular drums

but on certain drums the wheel studs are rolled over and the rollover is what holds the drum to the hub

again not sure if this is what you have but you need to have a machine shop with knowledge look at it 

in the case above there is a special tool to cut the stud rollover off to let the hub drop out

again someone with knowledge and as always pics help.

Marty

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1970 Buick riviera - need help removing hubs.

Not sure about the studs, but the drum is probably a press fit to the hub.  If you're dumping the drums anyway, you could try heating the area around the center hole and studs then press...

Thanks for the info from everyone. I will try the heat method. Tried just pressing them off with my little 10 ton press and bent the bottom channel iron pieces which serve as the deck to press against. If the heat method fails, I will take to a machine shop and let them press on them with their big press.

oh yes, one last question. does anyone know how to open the trunk when the key is not working? I can see the lock through the opening in the back seat and was wondering if I file a steel rod down to fit the slot, can I open it that way? Just asking before I mess up something.

I would still like to know if Buick swaged the studs. It matters.

Chrysler swaged the studs, and if you manage to press them out without cutting the swage, you have ruined the hubs because the holes are now too big to hold a stud properly.